SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  Slaying the Mighty Giant of Our Day

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Slaying the Mighty Giant of Our Day

Beware: There is a mighty giant in the land! Oh - we don’t call it a giant. We may not even recognize its presence, or its destructiveness. We may not see how this giant is playing havoc with every imaginable dimension of life. And that's a problem. As long as this giant remains obscure and unnamed, we cannot face it for what it is; and we cannot conquer it. We don’t even know what weapon to use. In other words, we will not use our God-given resources to claim victory over this mighty giant in the land.

What is this giant?

God willing, over the next while I hope to comment further about this giant – and the means to victory – a weapon that has been put in the hands of all whom God has adopted into his kingdom.

For now:
Any guesses on what our this threatening giant may be?
What examples of "Conquering-the-Giant" stories are found the Bible?

Diane

2012/7/10 6:57Profile
savannah

Re: Slaying the Mighty Giant of Our Day

"Any guesses on what our this threatening giant may be?"

Is it, "FEMINISM"!!!

2012/7/10 8:36Profile
roadsign

Re:

We could list many examples of mighty forces "out there" which threaten to swallow us up - it seems. This was true in bible times - and has been true in all ages. But we must ask: In scripture, were any of these forces ever the real giant - that is, the real threat? Are they in our day?

I say, no. The real giant was something far more subtle. This giant rules the lives of unbeliever and plays havoc with humanity; but it also besets us as followers of Christ. Great Christians have faced this giant. Hudson Taylor was concerned that this "giant" might disqualify him from his calling to China.

The psalmists addressed this "giant" over and over again - psalm after psalm. They understood its destructiveness because they were nearly capsized by it. But they also understood the only antidote. And that's what makes the Psalms so relevent for contemporary times. I myself have been struggling with this giant. Or rather, God has exposed it as something that I must conquor. That's why I find myself writing about it. Perhaps I will share my thoughts here as I journey on through this battle.

For now: Any other guessses? What is the giant? And what is the weapon against it?

Diane

2012/7/13 15:08Profile
MaryJane

Re:

For now: Any other guessses? What is the giant? And what is the weapon against it?

Diane

I know that the giant I have been facing and struggling with is "self" and for me the only weapon to use against it is the cross. I realize that is probably not the answer you are looking for though. I am interested to follow along as you share these things.

God bless
mj

2012/7/13 15:24Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

I was going to say the same thing MaryJane. Self. I/Me/My as Milt Green would say.

But as Diane says, there are many depending on the context of the discussion. Looking forward to what she is thinking about and glad she did not forget this thread.

Diane, on your other very long thread, I know I promised to read a 22 page doc of yours, and am sorry I just have not gotten to it, yet. But, I wanted to acknowledge to you that I did not forget about it and will read it and give you my thoughts (when I get to it). I have some things to read from AtG, too and AtG knows I will eventually get around to it. We both have long reading lists that we need to get to.

Pilgrim

2012/7/13 16:26Profile
proudpapa

Re: Slaying the Mighty Giant of Our Day

Pride is certainly a Giant

2012/7/13 22:13Profile

Re:

I'd also guess pride.

2012/7/14 0:52
savannah

Re: guess

"I myself have been struggling with this giant."

Is it not "FEMINISM"!!! (Pro. 7:11)

"And what is the weapon against it?"

Childbearing(maternity)1 Tim. 2:11,15

2012/7/14 7:20Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I've found that in accordance with Word of God and in my own experience Canaan is inhabited by many giants. One goes down, another arises. Anger, pride, lust, grudges, unbelief, fear, hypocrisy, resentment, covetousness, greed, indifference. They carry poisonous grapes on the vine, as large as a man's head, to feed to appetite of your flesh.

I'm not sure which giant you have in mind, but we are all mere grasshoppers without the power of the Holy Spirit before the least of them in any case. The giants are the powers of darkness, the principalities and rulers of the air which seek to conquer our hearts via our thought-patterns. If our consciences are defiled, they will have a grand entrance into our minds and slip into our vessels uncontested. It is here where they will set up a stronghold to bind-up our liberties in Christ. We go into slavery.

But when our hearts are pure and consciences blood-washed and clear of offense, we can keep them under our feet through the power of the Spirit of Holiness. If you are continually being overwhelmed and pummeled by a giant, regardless of what that giant signifies, it is an indication that your life is not right with God in some area, and He is giving the giant a legal right to overcome you.

Humble yourself and seek the Lord to find the reason for the giant's victory. Are you worrying about the cares of life? Are you debating with a brother or sister? Have you been dishonest at the workplace? Have you been letting dirty thoughts proliferate more and more within your mind?

Leave food out on the kitchen table and roaches will come; Leave sin in the heart and giants will come.

2012/7/14 9:54Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Paulwest wrote:I've found that in accordance with Word of God and in my own experience Canaan is inhabited by many giants. One goes down, another arises. Anger, pride, lust, grudges, unbelief, fear, hypocrisy, resentment, covetousness, greed, indifference.

I was thinking about this also but I wonder wouldn't all these things you mentioned just be the fruit of "self"?

Paulwest wrote:But when our hearts are pure and consciences blood-washed and clear of offense, we can keep them under our feet through the power of the Spirit of Holiness. If you are continually being overwhelmed and pummeled by a giant, regardless of what that giant signifies, it is an indication that your life is not right with God in some area, and He is giving the giant a legal right to overcome you.

I agree the only way to fight a giant is by walking in fellowship with JESUS. GOD does allow the giants to come in from time to time to teach us and show us those areas of our lives we have not surrender but this is for our benefit I believe. These can be very painful lessons but when we repent and turn to HIM, the only ONE who can help us defeat any giant then it is a most valuable lesson.

God bless
maryjane

2012/7/14 10:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy