SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : 2 of the most intense Ravenhill quotes

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: what is a forum?

Quote:

philologos wrote:
I may be mistaken but I thought I thought the whole purpose of a 'forum' was for debate/discussion.

Well to stir a little. some of us would be classed as hecklers in this particular context. :-)

2005/2/15 6:56Profile

Re:

quote: "I may be mistaken but I thought I thought the whole purpose of a 'forum' was for debate/discussion. A forum is not a pulpit but a market place."

Well, discussions and debating is good. But with an issue such as this "it could get ugly". I would like to see these forums be a place of encouragement and edification, and although debates can be apart of edification, something like this can possibly go beyond.

It's ok if you feel differently. Feel free to discuss and debate among yourselves. I am not trying to say none of us should. But I've had many "debates" with other Christians, and would rather avoid the ones that I feel are not absolutely vital.

2005/2/15 9:49
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

Well, discussions and debating is good. But with an issue such as this "it could get ugly". I would like to see these forums be a place of encouragement and edification, and although debates can be apart of edification, something like this can possibly go beyond.

I would not class myself as a old-timer on this site, but one thing I have noticed is that you can only go so far before the whole puts there hand up and says that's enough. I suppose the 'shift' has occured and can occur because Greg is not watching the forum the whole time. It is up to the people who value this ministry and input to by 'genereal concensus' to order and rule. Thats me, thats you, thats everyones whose heart is connected by our hearts desire to see Christ Glorified. So present your view, there are enough sensible forumites to steer the discussion towards mutual edification if not a good case of sharpening. :-D

2005/2/15 10:12Profile
docreno

Re: "Results"

Hey, first forum statement today. Here it goes. I think it would've been appropriate for morehofhim to specify "Christ-Favored" results from "Lukewarm" or "Modern Fleshly Programs" type of results. I'm positive he knows the difference. It just seems that his statement on "results" was different in his head then what it may be for others. I Like results - God's Way! Who wouldn't? Perhaps then it is appropriate to define "results?" People will say to Jesus (Matt 7:21-23), "Lord, Lord.. results results results." And you all know the rest of that sad but true story. But to the sheep (Matt 25, I think) who also had "results" Jesus says, "Come on up boys! (and girls)"

I dig this website.

2005/2/15 13:51Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Hi docreno,

Quote:
I'm positive he knows the difference. It just seems that his statement on "results" was different in his head then what it may be for others.

Just to be clear for future reference. This "he" is a "she". :-)

Glad you like the site. Have you listened to Ten Shekels and A Shirt yet? It's worth your time if you haven't.

In His service, chanin

2005/2/15 14:01Profile
pharrell

Re:

I'm now logged in under a new indentity (formerly docreno) because it connects better with my email address (or the one I prefer to be contacted at from this Forum). So YES "he" is a "she" I definitely got that. And yes I have heard that sermon. Actually I chuckled to myself when I read that question, in that, this sermon was first on your list of goodies to share. I have this along with about 50 others burned in WAV format onto CD's. The likes of which are, Conlon, Ravenhill, Wilkerson, and Art Katz. Oh and since I'm brand new, is there a way to check gender before I make replies to posts and make that mistake again. And yes, I have now read the "No slang" rules, hence statements like "I dig this website" probably aren't proper for a wide-cultured audience.

2005/2/15 14:17Profile
garoak

Ireland

Re:

I think the key thing the church is missing is " the anointing of God" I dont know much about moody but i read some stuff about finney and how mightyly anointed in the holy spirit he was. I think ray comfort is right re Hell's best kept secret. But I think he is missing one vital aspect. The endewment of power these men of God had like wesley, witfield, John Sung, and the like where ever they went the Holy spirit convicted of sin righteousness and judjment I think of Johnathan Edwards and people holding on to the pillars for fear they would fall into hell. they preached 90% law alright but it was under the anointing of the holy Spirit. I think of our saviour weeping over Jerusalem longing that they would have turned to him. Oh God! Give us the love of God in Christ,and that old time pentecostal Power

2005/2/15 17:33Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Oh God! Give us the love of God in Christ,and that old time pentecostal Power

Well, I must say that I believe it is vital to seek the Lord to be anointed for both direction when speaking and anointing. I think Paul would have said, "That utterance may be given unto me that I might open my mouth boldly..."

I know as Christians we are already anointed; but I always pray for a special anointing to meet the needs of the people at that time. This is a necessity. Some men prepared their sermons in advance; Finney liked to preach extemporaneously. This means he was, as he called it, "full of the subject" when he got up to speak. I prefer to minister with notes, but can minister without. I am more apt to make little grammer mistakes or minor technical errors without notes. The issue is not how eloquent we sound, but was God glorified through the change of the peoples hearts and lives. it could sound horrible and 10 people repent or sound great and none repent. What would we prefer? Sometimes it just don't happen both ways at once- so I will suffer all the blunders necessary if God is glorified. It's just something you have to get over.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/15 17:57Profile
markitats

Springdale AR

Re:

The Bible declares, as you well know that God is a God of love, but one thing I’ve learned from the western culture is that we have a misconception that has permeated in our thoughts on what exactly God’s love is. The main pervasive thought of God is that He loves me no matter what I do (from what I’ve heard), but He is also a God of justice. I believe to fully understand God’s love we must study His name because as Jesus declared in John 17:11, protect them by the power of your name-the name you gave me- so that they may be one as we are one. Jesus’ name actually means Yahweh saves so what does Yahweh mean. The example I’ll be using is taken from (Ex 3) when God was speaking through the burning bush to Moses. Moses proposed a very significant question when he asked, "What shall I tell them your name is?" God’s name there meant many different things and they read as follows… Compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love, love to the 1000’s, forgiving wickedness, forgiving rebellion, forgiving sin. A lot of people stop at those meanings of His name, but it concludes with, “He is a faithful God to the 1000’s of those who love Him and keep His commands, but those who hate Him he will repay to their face by destruction; He will not be slow to repay to their face those who hate Him.” The question then becomes "Who hates God?" The answer could only be those who are His enemy’s and those you are, are the one’s sinning. "But what about when you become a believer and you still sin?" Well, first you go against your new nature in Christ Jesus. Your old nature was sin, but now the old man is dead to sin and everything becomes new. Second, we must understand that we are righteous only because Christ imputed that upon those who believe. We are righteous simply because our position, not our condition. The very reason God should love us because it is in His nature to love. He could at any point let His mercy down on the unregenerate person and let Satan take him to destruction, but His mercy endures to the 1000’s of generations

2005/2/15 20:04Profile

Re:

So I want to comment on the anointing of God that someone brought up. I actually just talked to a team of street preachers about preaching open-air with the anointing. We can get so stuck in a way of doing things and so comfortable with a certain pattern that we don't really even give God room to move.

Mr Ravenhill told me a story about Duncan Campbell who had a dream/vision of a street meeting on an island. When he went to see who was preaching he discovered it was the devil leading the street meeting. Afterwards Duncan went up to him and said "What are you doing preaching the Word of God!! Your the devil!" and Satan said to him "Don't you know that the most powerful weapon I have is preaching the Word of God without the anointing?"

Certain men like Wesley and Whitefield and others had the anointing of God and we can easily think that if they said something that was powerful, it would be powerful if we say it that way too. But the anointing doesn't carry over that way. We must seek God for ourselves and get a message straight from Him.

I just sent the cd of this message to fireonthealtar and it should be available soon on that website, my own site, and hopefully others.

2005/2/16 0:56

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy