SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : 2 of the most intense Ravenhill quotes

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

2 of the most intense Ravenhill quotes

I wanted to share these quotes by Leonard Ravenhill. They are probably the most hardcore and intense quotes I've ever heard outside of the bible.

“I don’t believe there is a man on the whole TV that preaches salvation. They preach forgiveness. Forgiveness is not salvation. They point out “there’s a man in bed with some other mans wife in a Motel’. “Oh you know the Lord loves you just as you are.” Well then why get changed? Commit adultery as much as you like. He still loves you. Be a cheat, be a liar, be a thief, and be a failure. He still loves you. But there’s a scripture. Isn’t it the Psalms 7….where it says “God is angry with the wicked every day.” I heard somebody quote today “God loves you but hates your sin” that’s bunken. God hates you for committing the sin. Is God going to take your sins and judge them at the Judgment and leave you alone?” Leonard Ravenhill

“Finney never made an altar call within the first twenty eight nights of preaching. Most of our evangelists don’t have twenty eight sermons. Twenty eight nights in a row and he never made an altar call. He didn’t preach the love of God. He didn’t say “you’re a sinner, God loves you.” He said “God is angry with the wicked every day” (Ps 7:11) which the Word of God says. He didn’t preach grace, he preached Law. He didn’t preach love, he preached judgment. He didn’t preach heaven, he preached hell. He didn’t say “you’re a wonderful person” he said “you’re a rebel”. But he got results. 64% of D. L. Moodys converts backslid, 72% of the converts Finney got stood because he knew how to attack the human will, not just the emotions.” Leonard Ravenhill

2005/2/14 9:45
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: 2 of the most intense Ravenhill quotes

Yes I've heard these quotes before. They are true. Thats why I like to hear Ravenhill, He had so much wisdom. It always pushes me to the prayer closet when I hear him.

2005/2/14 9:51Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re: 2 of the most intense Ravenhill quotes

Quote:

Lazarus1719 wrote:
I wanted to share these quotes by Leonard Ravenhill. They are probably the most hardcore and intense quotes I've ever heard outside of the bible.

“I don’t believe there is a man on the whole TV that preaches salvation. They preach forgiveness. Forgiveness is not salvation. They point out “there’s a man in bed with some other mans wife in a Motel’. “Oh you know the Lord loves you just as you are.” Well then why get changed? Commit adultery as much as you like. He still loves you. Be a cheat, be a liar, be a thief, and be a failure. He still loves you. But there’s a scripture. Isn’t it the Psalms 7….where it says “God is angry with the wicked every day.” I heard somebody quote today “God loves you but hates your sin” that’s bunken. God hates you for committing the sin. Is God going to take your sins and judge them at the Judgment and leave you alone?” Leonard Ravenhill

Finney never made an altar call within the first twenty eight nights of preaching. Most of our evangelists don’t have twenty eight sermons. Twenty eight nights in a row and he never made an altar call. He didn’t preach the love of God. He didn’t say “you’re a sinner, God loves you.” He said “God is angry with the wicked every day” (Ps 7:11) which the Word of God says. He didn’t preach grace, he preached Law. He didn’t preach love, he preached judgment. He didn’t preach heaven, he preached hell. He didn’t say “you’re a wonderful person” he said “you’re a rebel”. But he got results. 64% of D. L. Moodys converts backslid, 72% of the converts Finney got stood because he knew how to attack the human will, not just the emotions.” Leonard Ravenhill

a little help here, please, there is something i don't quite understand. God is angry with the wicked every day, that's for sure...but "for God so loved the world"... and "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

i heard Ray Comfort also saying it in the video of Hells Best Kept Secret, where someone replied to him saying "God loves the person, but hates the sin", he returned saying something like "where did you read that? it's not biblical"

and now with the thread of Jesse (thanks by the way bro) it came into my mind again.

Gods "hate vs love" toward the sinner, that's what i can't understand, so please a little help:-)

2005/2/14 12:20Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

This is where the little phrase Paul used, "behold, the kindness and severity of God." However, anger is not opposed to love. My parents have often been angry with me, but that does not mean they did not love me just the same.

The most intense saying I heard Ravenhill use was: "let me tell you lovingly: go to hell. If you want to get drunk, go with the drunkards, if you want to lust, go with the prostitutes."

2005/2/14 13:30Profile
moreofHim

Re: results

Quote:
But he got results

I have to wonder, is this what it has come down to? Results. we just want results? :-o

This does not seem to go along with what Jesus preached when he was on earth.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be better to stick to the words of someone like Jesus instead of a man like Finney or Ravenhill (even though they both were called of God for their purpose).

I don't recall Jesus saying that He hated people.

This disturbs me terribly. There is definitely a need for repentance these days- but not just to get "results".

In Him, Chanin

2005/2/14 13:45Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re:

thanks KingJimmy :) now it's more clear to me

yeah i found it quite strange i taught hmmm how could he say God hates the sinner. but thanks again, i understand it now, it's like how do you think you can receive grace if your not willing to give up your lust and sins and stay in rebellion against God.

in Christ, (who resist the pride and gives grace to the humble)

William

A little add on...came into my mind, i love this quote of Paris Reidhead.
"they 're going to Hell, not because they haven't heard The Gospel, they're going to Hell because the are sinners who love their sin"

2005/2/14 13:46Profile
moreofHim

Re:

If this is true that we should not tell people that God loves them, then what is there to live for? Why wouldn't they just go kill themselves?

When I came out of my lukewarmness , it wasn't because i thought God hated me.

It was because He showed me how much He did love me but that my sin was disgusting to Him. That i was hurting him and grieving him. I was ashamed and wanted to please Him. So i repented because of His great love that drew me to Him. and I have yet to backslide.

Without God's love, what is there? What hope is there? My hope is not that I will go to heaven. my hope is God and his love for me and that he is my everything.

2005/2/14 13:56Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

But he got results. 64% of D. L. Moodys converts backslid, 72% of the converts Finney got stood because he knew how to attack the human will, not just the emotions.

One thing I don't like about this is the notion that the quality of the preaching one heard at conversion will determine one's continuing on in the faith. Preaching only leads men to Jesus. If they fall away after they come to believe, it's not Moody or Finney's fault. If somebody has a geniune saving encounter with Christ, then should they fall away, then they are ultimately accountable for that, not the preacher that led them to Christ.

2005/2/14 14:03Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re:

true Chanin,

Amen :-)

2005/2/14 14:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

which?

Hi Chanin,

What instantly came to mind was; "God gives grace to the humble but resiteth the proud" (Dont have my E-sword in front of me here...)

"A broken and contrite spirit..."

Jesus had the most 'venom' for who? Not pointed sister, you know me :-)

(This is very awkward writing from work)

"You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee..."

"Ye always resist the Holy Spirit"

Guess it depends, but it does seem to fit a pattern, breaking the proud and comforting the broken...

2005/2/14 16:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy