Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Holy Ghost: Filled vs. Upon

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "Lets see if I can clear up the vague statement. In Acts, Jesus is recorded as saying, "And ye shall received power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you...." The word is upon, yet we see by context that they were filled with the Spirit on the day of Pentecost. So the distinction, to me, is not so much whether the word used is filled or upon, but rather what the context of event says about what happened. That is why I said that the term used in this case is less important than the context within which the term is used. Upon in this case refers to a baptism, and infusion or infilling, or to being filled."==TWAYNEB

Thank you Twayneb. I think i understand, sorta. Thanks for clearing that up.

2012/7/12 9:51Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "Agree again. I think beyond just a second filling though, it's a third, and a fourth, and a fifth, and however many times we're open to it when the Lord wills and the situation requires it of us (IE operation of the gifts)."==EVERESTOSAMA

Interesting. And...would a person necessarily KNOW they are being refilled over and over at the moment it happens then? Or would they simply experience the gift that it brings?
Whatever the case, i don't believe i have ever met such a person. And i don't put any credence in any of the people i have met who spoke in tongues in my presence, as they always lacked a Christlikeness... but not showmanship.

2012/7/12 9:57Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "What I find funny with those that wonder where the great manifestations of the Spirit are or focus most on 'the gifts' - is that they sometimes are the very ones that don't want anything too tough or rough directed at them from anyone used in His Church. The slightest correction unravels them..."==JIG

Except what you pretend is "correction" is merely your critical spirit and judgemental nature; almost all your posts are spent judging others and critizing other posters. When did God die and leave you in charge of His church? I didn't get the memo. But of course, you are The Prophet.

Also, in terms of power, i was not meaning necessarily just the manifestation of gifts but of prayer, answered prayer, and empathy and compassion in the church (for the homeless, the poor, the lost, and the isolated).

2012/7/12 10:04Profile

Re:

What I wrote is true, whether it hits a nerve in you personally or not and what I have seen in the Church at large - and why Paul and Barnabas had that sharp contention over John Mark -- because many are not prepared for what some of us here, that remain, will see when the two witnesses come.
They only know a "gentle jesus" and that view is more common than ever before in the history of the church.
It's your choice to make this personal, Trekker and have your personal opinion on a personal level - but I believe it's Time to recognise that the Spirit of Truth does not always come in the image that some would expect or 'prefer' and in the days to come - it would be Wise to be prepared and well read on how He has worked in the past and will again, more prevalently, as HE pours out His Spirit on the last days Saints. The darker it gets, the more Light will be needed and given.
There are some Scripture that point to a ministry of The Spirit that hasn't been seen in The Church - not in free and comfortable nations.

Most need to know how He has and will work so that they don't get up and leave as John Mark did - though Thank GOD - John Mark grew up in the LORD and was by Paul's side towards Paul's last days - in his last Epistle 2Timothy.

If you can see the point - How many do you know that are not ready for such manifestations?

Quote:
Also, in terms of power, i was not meaning necessarily just the manifestation of gifts but of prayer, answered prayer, and empathy and compassion in the church (for the homeless, the poor, the lost, and the isolated).

I believe we are to be doing these things - Plus-some - and if we're not doing these ourselves 'Actively' and not just sitting at home having emotional feelings only and talking about it, but at least putting our money where our emotions are and if not - we shouldn't be looking to see if anyone else isn't.

Yes, an entirely different 'ministry' will rise up in the last days and it's best to be ready.

Good days - the best and the worst of days.

2012/7/12 10:36
jimp

Re:

hi, they were all in one place and one accord... the reason some do not see the great moving of the Spirit is that they do not have the faith to see . something could happen amazingly in front of them and they would not believe. agreement is important to God.i have seen many great miracles in my life and mostly in the same church. last month we baptized over 500 in one weekend.we have started over 20000 churches in the last 10 years.stuff like this is God driven and does not come from mans labors. we preach that you can receive the Holy Spirit to dwell in you.the dead have been raiseddrug lords have been saved,many healings and thousands saved.so. be filled with the Spirit speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs...jimp

2012/7/12 12:23Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

@Jesus-is-God

I think that your posts have been wonderfully and truthfully stated. I would have quoted what I liked, but would have probably just ended up quoting all of it, but I will say that this by itself is an excellent admonition;

Quote:
Yes, an entirely different 'ministry' will rise up in the last days and it's best to be ready.

2012/7/12 12:44Profile

Re:

Fellow in His Faith, I fear more than life itself or anything that life can throw at us future tense - that 'the church' has made two or three Gods out of The ONE.

"Jesus" Is 'THE GOD' of and through-out Genesis through Malachi, and The Revelation as well
- as you know - and also that I'm not speaking 'Jesus Only'.

Defend WHO He is! and Bless you for it!

2012/7/12 13:45
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Interesting. And...would a person necessarily KNOW they are being refilled over and over at the moment it happens then? Or would they simply experience the gift that it brings?
Whatever the case, i don't believe i have ever met such a person. And i don't put any credence in any of the people i have met who spoke in tongues in my presence, as they always lacked a Christlikeness... but not showmanship.

Trekker: There is a scripture that says we are not to be drunk with wine wherein is excess, but rather be filled with the Spirit. I have been told that that term "be filled" has the connotation of being in a state of continually being filled. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is not simply a one time "experience". It is the coming of the Holy Spirit to dwell in me, to infuse every fiber of my being (much like making pickles) with His person. Through this baptism I now enter into a communion with God through the Holy Spirit. It is an ongoing experience.

As to your second comment, it sounds to me as though you might have had contact with some who walked carnally and perhaps have left a bit of a sour taste. That is unfortunate. But do not throw away the reality of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, the ability to pray in tongues (which is a wonderful blessing from God that is made possible by the baptism of the Holy Spirit), and other manifestations of the power of God. I agree with Jesus-is-God. The goal is not the manifestations. There are those who chase after manifestations. Simon the sorcerer was one such person. He offered to pay for the ability to affect manifestations. Paul told him that his money could perish with him for thinking such a thing. However the manifestations accompany the infilling of the Holy Spirit as we walk in the spirit and allow God to motivate us with His agape love toward others and use us as He desires to use us. Showmanship is of the flesh. Genuine love of God and the operation of the gifts of the Spirit leave no room for pride and flamboyance. There is a great humility is realizing that I have been used of God to do something that I have absolutely no ability in myself to do.

2012/7/12 17:30Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy