SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Speaking the truth...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
spekgirl

Speaking the truth...

Hey friends i have a question thats bugging me, i have been hearing alot lately from my brothers and sisters about to speak out in faith and be positive with words (maybe close to word of faith movement which i know is not correct) the other day two of my sisters in Christ asked me how i was and i was going through a hard time and i said "not very good" and they seemed to turn on me and tell me i had to speak out positive and say i was good, so one of them asked me again how i was and i answered and said i was not going to say i was good when i was not and lie... since then im having a hard time, where do we draw the line am i in the wrong, are we to only speak in faith and positive or are we able to speak the truth?
Thanks for your advice.

2012/7/5 5:59Profile
EverestoSama

Re: Speaking the truth...

You're right. Your friends are wrong. Simple as that. And don't let them tell you that what they're promoting is "speaking in faith." People who teach that sort of thing usually have the absolute lowest understanding of the Biblical definition of faith.

Don't sweat it. Really. :)

2012/7/5 6:20Profile
Blayne

Hi! 'Spekgirl'
I suppose you could begin by thanking God that you don't attend their church. Because, as near as I can tell, there wouldn't be too many volunteering for needful prayer.
Instead, they would all be insistin' tuh row up the De Nile river.
I never followed after the so-called 'Faith Movement'; it always appeared to me to be a pious positive thinking delusion. But I have personally known many who followed after the "You have not because you confess not" ideas. Most had deluded themselves into severe spiritual injury.

Let's assume that you confessed everything contrary to what your inner core comprehended as reality/experience. Well, what would that achieve? God knows everything about you ... no matter the frenzy of denial. After all, "The Spirit searches all things", (1Cor 2:10).

All these silly formulas that sincere Christians can be found following are very similar to witchcraft. I once knew a very genuine Christian who opened her Bible every morning and selected a verse with her finger on some random page and directed her entire day according to that result. This too is a form of magic or witchcraft.

Anyways, that's my opinion which is in keeping with: "These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other", Zech 8:16

==============================
Speaking the truth...
by spekgirl on 2012/7/5 2:59:02
===============================

2012/7/5 6:39Profile
spekgirl

Thank you thats helpful...i am finding more and more the truth of Gods Word being misused..i really need to look to God and His Word and not follow the crowd because im finding even well meaning christians believing and teaching half truths...we are in the last days the cloud of deception is growing thicker.
Bless you both thanks for helping me settle this in my mind.

2012/7/5 7:25Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I agree with you but do encourage balance. If you are having a rough day that's fine confess it, express it and ask the Lord for help and grace. But I have met people who are simply grumblers and complain about EVERYTHING! They have allowed a negative attitude to invade their hearts and minds and nothing seems fair or right to them. It is good to have a positive attitude but they asked you how you were you answered with an honest response.

Rather than critized you their response should have been is there anything we can help you with or pray for you about? We get so caught up in religion and being right we sometimes forget we are talking to human beings that have feelings too. Definitely be praying for your friends and their spiritual state, what they are in can lead to some pretty destructive thinking. I have seen a lot of people walk down that road and it ain't purdy.

2012/7/5 8:19Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
spekgirl wrote:
Hey friends i have a question thats bugging me, i have been hearing alot lately from my brothers and sisters about to speak out in faith and be positive with words (maybe close to word of faith movement which i know is not correct) the other day two of my sisters in Christ asked me how i was and i was going through a hard time and i said "not very good" and they seemed to turn on me and tell me i had to speak out positive and say i was good, so one of them asked me again how i was and i answered and said i was not going to say i was good when i was not and lie... since then im having a hard time, where do we draw the line am i in the wrong, are we to only speak in faith and positive or are we able to speak the truth?

I agree with what everyone has told you and I just wanted to ‘amen’ Blaine on silly positive formulas are very similar to witchcraft! And Matthew’s response about they should have asked “why” you weren’t doing that well instead of criticizing you. Amen!

We “should be” able to speak the truth in love to our friends, even about what is going on in our life. And sadly, that just might be how you know who your “true” friends are from who your “religious” friends are. I’m sorry to say but your true ones will probably be in the minority in your life! Well, that’s what I've found in my life anyway but yours may very well be different! I hope so!

God bless you,
Lisa

2012/7/5 9:24Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

spekgirl: The Bible has much to say about faith, and what faith looks like. For example, James says that you may say you have faith but there are no corresponding works, but that I demonstrate my faith by my works because faith without works is dead. By way of application, suppose I am called by God to cease from my secular job and go into ministry full time. If I say I have faith that God will supply all of my needs, but do not really have faith, I will not quit my job. My works will correspond with the reality of my faith or lack thereof and demonstrate what is really on the inside of me. I once had this happen in the area of giving. I was told by God to give away a car and lacked the faith that He would give me another. So I ignored Him and later had to repent of disobedience.

The same is true of the words we speak. What comes out of our mouths is usually a dead give-away for what is in our hearts. A man may say he has faith, but then when I listen to his speech I realize he does not really believe God.

Another thing we must understand is that there is often a disparity between what is going on in our flesh and what is true in our spirit. If I am born again, my spirit is renewed, regenerated. So in my spirit I have the love, joy, and peace of God. But in my flesh I may be in turmoil, battling sickness, etc. Both of these things are true. So which one am I going to focus on and exalt? Which truth do I value the most?

I want to be careful how I say this so that I am not misunderstood. Faith is not a lever that we learn to work so that we can somehow move God. This viewpoint is, in my opinion, an error. The problem comes when we take one truth and go to seed on it so to speak. However we are also, I believe, misapplying scripture when we say that what we confess with our mouth does not influence our faith. What we say can reveal what is on the inside, but it can also influence what is going on in our heart and mind.

By example consider what happens when the enemy plants a vain imagination in your mind. So-and-so does not speak to you, and seems to snub you. You go home and the thought comes to your mind, "I'll bet she is mad at me. She sure treated me rudely." So you begin to speak to yourself, or perhaps a spouse or friend about so-and-so. The more you speak these words, the more you believe them and the more hurt and angry you become. What would have happened if you had spoken only the words that the Word of God says about that person? What would have happened if you had been thankful for so-and-so's friendship and had prayed for her? The attitude of your own heart would have been different. That is the effect of our words. They do not effect God, they effect our response to God.

Suppose I have a sickness and am standing in faith to receive healing from that sickness. No amount of vain repetition of promises, scriptures, etc. will somehow convince God to heal me (the lever error). However speaking only the Word of God over the issue will encourage me and help renew my mind to the truth that Jesus bore stripes so that I might be healed. My ability to respond positively to God is increased. My own faith level goes up. I encourage myself in the Word. This is what true "positive confession" should be about.

In your case, my guess is that these other people have taken a good thing and gone to seed on it. But it does not mean that we throw out the truth of speaking the Word of God. The fact is that you were not doing so good. There is nothing wrong with admitting that. The truth is that we can have the joy of the Lord and that He can heal, deliver, supply all needs, and fix whatever problem you are having. It is a good thing to confess that truth. I guess the way I like to see it is that truth (God's truth) changes fact (the true situation that I am going through).

Bear long with your friends. As antagonistic as they may have seemed, I would guess they did it because they love you. How about, "Sisters, I am going through a hard time right now, but I know that God will...insert the truth of the Word of God about the situation. Will you pray with me?"

The words we speak are not like magic incantations that somehow bring about an answer, but the words we speak are important because they have an effect on what we believe, what we focus on, and how we respond positively to God. The idea that speaking what is going on in your life will somehow "jinx" you is error. But it is true that if we focus on our problems and continue to speak only what we are going through, it will cause that thing to have a greater hold on our lives.

Hope that makes sense.

2012/7/5 9:25Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

spekgirl,

You got good advice from these posters.

We live in the deep south where people are greeted with "how are you?" It does not mean they really care about how things are in your life but as a courteous greeting. If I say it and people start telling me all their woes, I will listen respectfully because I know they need a listener.

In any case, when I am asked how I am and things are tough and I do not want to talk about I will either say so or something to that effect.

Now to this 'positive thinking' mindset - it is nothing but a delusion, a deception. Many people engage in it in varying degrees. They can convince themselves they are going to heaven while entertaining sin in their hearts with no desire to repent ever.

Scripture teaches us to face reality and in so doing one will experience his/her need for God. Unless this is experienced in your heart you will never feel a need for Him. When you feel helpless to cope with life is when you are drawn to lay these issues at his feet for intervention or grace to deal with it. In other words, to ignore reality is to sell yourself short on experiencing the mercy and grace of God. Simple.

Take care..

ginnyrose

2012/7/5 9:26Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

I don't relate well to perfection, nor do most people. Therefore, I agree that we must be of the truth in our words. Isn't there something in scripture about God using the weak? Isn't there something in scripture about His power made perfect in our weakness? There is nothing wrong with being like Christ, there is however something wrong with being Christ a major error of the WFM.

2012/7/5 10:27Profile
spekgirl

Thank you all so very much, actually some of what you said got my thinking and it would not hurt me to be a bit more positive overall, its good to know however that i can speak the truth and i get a better idea now of how that all works... Jesus bless you all for your time and care to reply to me!

2012/7/6 0:24Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy