Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Boko Harem Declares War on Christians

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Boko Harem Declares War on Christians

The militant Islamist group Boko Haram recently declared war on the Nigerian state and its Christians, vowing to attack them both until it establishes an Islamic state in place of the current secular government.

This month alone, gunmen opened fire on the congregation inside a church in Borno state, killing one and injuring three; later that same day, a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb next to an evangelical church in Jos that collapsed the entire structure, critically injuring 62; other suicide car bombings killed 18 and injured more than 40 near two churches in Bauchi state.
However, despite the danger, Nigeria's Christians continue to attend services. ...

read more: http://www.worthynews.com/11585-boko-harem-declares-war-on-christians

2012/7/2 11:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Boko Harem Declares War on Christians

QUOTE:

"However, despite the danger, Nigeria's Christians continue to attend services. ..."

Ok, I am going to ask an ignorant question. Perhaps an African - someone who lives in Africa or someone in another country with an oppressive government - can answer it.

Question: If people are being persecuted, why do they not flee to another place? Historically, Christians did this all the time.

2012/7/2 18:08Profile
Theophila

Re:

Africa is a continent.

2012/7/2 19:55Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
If people are being persecuted, why do they not flee to another place? Historically, Christians did this all the time.

I don't live in Africa. How do you flee if you have no money? How do you flee if gunmen are watching the streets? Historically, Christians did not have to face snipers, bombs, helicopters, and tracking equipment. That is one thing that is different now. Also, with border control (local and national), how do you just up and go? Many times, you simply cannot.

2012/7/2 21:22Profile
Dlight

Re:

Hi ginnyrose,

I would like to answer your question in three different ways:

1. It seems as if there is a general assumption that persecution is big in Africa. Yes, like this article states, there is persecution in many parts of Africa that cannot be ignored. But as an African, I can testify that it is generally "easier" to be Christian in Africa than in the west. In my experience (and in the experience of many others, including missionaries to Africa), it will cost you more to profess faith in Christ in the US than in most christian regions of the world. Persecution here comes from feminist and homosexual ideologies, atheism, academia, laws that restrict prayer and the mention of God, a culture which has evolved to shun basic principles of morality etc. And with the prevailing perversity, it's even harder to abstain from sin, as sin and indulgence is all around: the billboards, magazine covers at the checkout, and young ladies on the streets all promote sensuality. I do not claim that people are more sinful in one region than in another because the Bible is clear that all men are sinful; but there seems to be more 'openness' to sin in the western world today.

2. If all Christians fled to gospel-friendly places, who would plant churches in the difficult areas and win converts to Christ? Sometimes the Lord will call you to pack your belongings and leave, but sometimes He will call you to go forth as a soldier for Christ. This is how the early missionaries to Africa and other parts of the world (and for whom I am very grateful) managed to establish the gospel in their mission fields. So, it might be that some people do not leave because they feel called by God to face their situations head-on and trust God's faithfulness.

3. On a completely "secular" note, it could be the strong ties that people have with their home countries, or (like a Koheleth mentioned) that the logistics of changing locations make moving an impossibility...

2012/7/2 22:07Profile
Friedrick

Nicaragua

Re:

"Question: If people are being persecuted, why do they not flee to another place? Historically, Christians did this all the time."

Most people cannot flee their own country because it is near impossible just to get a passport let alone a visa to travel to a better country.

2012/7/2 22:09Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: Boko Harem Declares War on Christians

"The militant Islamist group Boko Haram recently declared war on the Nigerian state and its Christians..."

I believe we are going to see Islam go down to colossal defeat. Why so? Because they are fighting with the Lamb of God.

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them, for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings, and they that are with Him are called, and chosen, and faithful" (Rev. 17.14).

2012/7/2 23:13Profile

Re:

Pray that God will continue ti build his church in Nigeria and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

Bearmadter.

2012/7/2 23:25
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Re:

VOM Canada has a short video on the Nigerian Christians titled "Nigeria: Christians under siege – yet overcoming"

One of the church leaders is quoted as saying,"Christians are not discouraged, [but are] more determined because we believe the scripture that Jesus told us that if they persecuted Him they will do the same to us. We are not discouraged, but rather our faith on a daily basis has been increased.”

Another states that they are seeing people coming into the churches now that never would before.

You can see the video here:

http://www.persecution.ca/feature/feature.html

REJOICE! =)
Mary

2012/7/2 23:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy