SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What Type Of Repentance Do We Have

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Solomon101

America's Heartand

What Type Of Repentance Do We Have

Biblical repentance is a reaction to God's Kindness, not an action to earn it.

" God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance" - Romans 2:4

Righteousness is not the reward of living rightly. It is the unmerited gift that irresistibly results in right living.

"He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy". - Titus 3:5

"For THE GRACE OF GOD (not His anger) has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age" Titus 2:11-12 - Notice it is the GRACE that does this!

So....let us perhaps do a bit of self assessment-

If we think that serving God is hard, oppressive, or lacks happiness and joy then the chances are we may have a false repentance lurking in our hearts. One based on our "worked up" repentance as opposed to simply accepting and responding to His grace that leads us to Him and Godliness.

2012/7/2 10:07Profile
jimp

Re: What Type Of Repentance Do We Have

hi solomon. thank you for a wonderful post that i wish i could have writen.jimp

2012/7/2 11:17Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

Hey jimp.

Thanks. I have noticed such a tremendous amount of what I would term , "overly religious, Pharisaical, and humanly manipulative words" ,go on in the name of "repentance".

There is so MUCH more on the joyful side of repentance that is almost unknown... or ignored. It is HIS KINDNESS (GOODNESS) that leads us to repentance. I am seeing people respond so quickly to that... but they are NOT willing to be manipulated and forced into a "repentance" that is man made and largely just a tool to create guilt on them by a person who thinks they are judge and jury over their heart.

Admittedly, I minister in a part of the country that is 65% , or so, professed practicing Catholic and another 25% are professed practicing Lutheran's. Primarily ELCA. That makes for a culture that has been tremendously controlled and manipulated by guilt.

The idea of repentance and following Christ being one of throwing off the "heavy yoke" of religion and embracing the "easy, light yoke" of relationship with Christ is fresh air in their weary souls.

"you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matthew 11

It is His kindness (goodness) that leads us to repentance!

2012/7/2 12:20Profile
jimur

Re: What Type Of Repentance Do We Have

Quote:

"Righteousness is not the reward of living rightly. It is the unmerited gift that irresistibly results in right living."

I'm reluctant to comment on the word "irresistibly", but I question which among us are "right living" ?

Quote:
"If we think that serving God is hard, oppressive, or lacks happiness and joy then the chances are we may have a false repentance lurking in our hearts."

I find no personal oppression apart from that of worldly desire nor lack of joy and happiness in service yet I do often find it a hard and difficult path as I continue to battle the forces of evil [sin] in my life. It would appear based on other opinions, I have not yet reached full salvation as I like Paul sin daily. However I'm gullible enough to believe in a complete, permanent, instantaneous, and unmerited salvation which will culminate with total maturity and sanctification upon my exit from this world. Sanctification and process of maturing in this life is where my battle seems to center.
Thank you, I enjoyed your well written post.

2012/7/3 11:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy