SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Judge Sentences Drunk Driver to Bible Study

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Judge Sentences Drunk Driver to Bible Study

Here is something we don't see every day. I thought I'd add it here as we've been getting a deluge of negativity.

ROCK HILL, S.C. (WACH / AP) – A Rock Hill judge has included passages from the Bible as part of a drunk driving sentence. In addition to eight years in prison, Circuit Court Judge Michael Nettles has sentenced Cassandra Tolley, 28, of Rock Hill, to read the Old Testament Book of Job and write a summary on it.

The sentence comes after Tolley hit a vehicle while driving in the wrong lane last November. The accident seriously injured two men in the other car. Tolley’s blood alcohol content was .333 – more than four times the legal limit.

Tolley’s attorney said Tolley is grateful for the Bible reading assignment and has begun work on it.

University of South Carolina law professor Kenneth Gaines says although the sentence is rare, the judge did not necessarily overstep his authority. As long as the defendant consents to the sentence, there is no issue.

The AP and The Herald of Rock Hill contributed to this story.

Source: http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/story.aspx?id=771766#.T_GdNPVnVPE

2012/7/2 9:14
dvndsn

Kentucky

Re: Judge Sentences Drunk Driver to Bible Study

I like the sentence, but am unhappy the defendant sees it as a "Bible reading assignment" like some homework a teacher gave out. The only reason she is grateful is because she didn't get a worse sentence!

2012/7/2 9:23Profile
roadsign

Re:

From the article:

Quote:
Judge Michael Nettles has sentenced Cassandra Tolley, 28, of Rock Hill, to read the Old Testament Book of Job and write a summary on it.

I love it! Thank you Approved for posting this! I would love to be a designated mentor for convicts who are condemned to reading the Bible!

Quote:
The only reason she is grateful is because she didn't get a worse sentence!

So what!!!!! The returning Prodigal Son's motive wasn't exactly stellar either. He wanted food - rather than a worse sentence: death.

2012/7/2 9:37Profile

Quote:
as part of a drunk driving sentence. In addition to eight years in prison,

Isn't the 8 years worse enough?

Here it's usually 2 years in jail drinking and hitting another car and not killing them and if your good the sentence is shortened. I'd think the 8 years was worse enough.

I think it's a great thing that a judge is giving someone an assignment like this because under normal circumstances no sinner picks up the bible and does a summary on it. But because she was ordered to do it (with her willingness to do it) is even more remarkable. I mean, first off, no judge ever does this. That is remarkable. And then to have a sinner consent to it is even more remarkable.

Who knows this whole thing could have been (it probably was) orchestrated by God to bring her to her knees. God does work in mysterious ways.

2012/7/2 10:18

Re:

Quote:
The only reason she is grateful is because she didn't get a worse sentence!

Ummm... she got EIGHT years in prison! Thats pretty stiff considering no one died.

God's Word does not come back void. I pray this changes her life.

As for there being no issue so long as the she consents... I bet the ACLU will think differently about it. Just wait and watch. They will sue over seperation of church and state. They dont need her on board in order to do that.

Krispy

2012/7/2 11:18
Trekker

northern USA

And the wicked ACLU hasn't had a conniption fit about it yet?
Imagine that!

Why the Book of Job, i wonder? There are passages on drunkenness in Proverbs that might be better suited.
Well anyway, it's certainly a start. Thanks for sharing!!

2012/7/2 11:47Profile

This is such an encouraging post, Approved. Thank you very much for sharing it today!!!

2012/7/2 13:03
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Love it!

Even if the ACLU throws a fit, it likely won't be until after the offender read a lot that may have piqued her interest to continue reading.

Looks to me like God still does work in mysterious ways.

Maybe this judge knows something the general population does not.

Years ago "Christianity Today" published an article discussing the history of the correctional system in the USA. The Quakers believed that if one were to confine an offender with a copy of the WORD this will result in his conversion and hence modify his behavior. (The Quakers were very much involved in civil affairs in PA back then.) This theory lent itself to he long sentences given to offenders instead of implementing the harsh one of capital punishment.

God bless this judge!

2012/7/6 10:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy