SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The state of my university

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dvndsn

Kentucky

The state of my university

I am taking summer English 300, and the teacher had us bring in articles to have the class read. Today was my day, and I brought in "Abba Changes Everything" by Russell Moore. It is an article published in Christianity Today back in 2010 about adoption in the family of God, and adoption between an orphan and a family. A truly wonderful article.
Link to article - http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2010/july/10.18.html?paging=off

Come to find out, only 4 people (including me) had the article out in front and read it before class out of 17 total. One guy who read it said he stopped going to church altogether a few years ago, and only read from the KJV. Moore was quoting scripture from the ESV and the student had no idea what the ESV was. He had also never heard the term "Abba" before. Apparently he thought it was the name for a band or something.

I try not to let things from the world get to me, but this class has been really hard for me spiritually. Another incident occurred that I will not go into detail on, but just know it has been hard for me. I do not post on here often, but I had to let someone else know other than my weekly study and local church family. A bigger venue to express angst on. It is just really saddening for me to see things such as this come about.

With all this in mind, I cannot imagine how God feels about me on so many other levels.

Please continue praying for the unregenerate.

2012/6/29 17:58Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: The state of my university

I will be praying for you, Lucas. I will also be praying for your university.

Do you fellowship with various Christian groups on campus? I was very involved with several great Christian organizations (like Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship) on the campuses of the public universities that I attended. We were able to encourage and sharpen one another in the Lord during that time.

2012/6/29 19:10Profile
dvndsn

Kentucky

Re:

No I am not affiliated with any organizations on campus. I am 22, married, and have two children. I am a very non-traditional student, haha! My Bible study has been going 3 years strong with the same few men of God, that is where my iron sharpening comes outside of church. I am on my churches missions committee, and am in the process of getting on another committee. I stay active in my church, and serve both God and my church family.

Thank you for the prayers brother. It is a desperate need to lift eachother up in these times.

2012/6/29 19:28Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I can sympathize with you on your college deal. When I got my AA and transferred to USF and found myself in a womens studies class and I really wondered and worried about it. I figured it was probably going to be liberal and then a man taught it so my first thought was that he was gay. I found out half the class thought the same way initially.

The teacher told us that that will make everyone mad at some point. It made me mad in many areas and it even took shots on religious ideas. Even thought it got me hot and angry in some areas I fought through it because I wanted to understand what I might not be understanding whether or not I agreed with the information put forth. I found it to be very educational!!! Matter of fact of the classes I have take IT has been the best class because I learned so much from it. I won't say I agreed with everything but now I can relate to what I read online and see in the media much more than I was able to do in the past.

Also, We had to write a paper on a topic discussed in class that we are passionate about because it will bring out the best in it. I choose the subject of women and religion - of which I had made a post on this forum for some input from the ladies. It took 4 rough drafts to get my thoughts across and when it was done the professor said it was one of the best of the class. I sought to bring forth the religiouis viewpoint and the feminist viewpoint together and show where each fail and each succeed in their views on the role of women.

If you want to stand up for Jesus in college you first need to begin with your own life and not necessarily be preachy. Only be preachy when those doors open for it. Otherwise it begins with your own life and character - others will see and some will be drawn to you. Just my 2 cents worth.

2012/6/30 16:13Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: The state of my university

When you are taking college classes at a secular university you have to realize that people are not going to believe as you believe and think as you think.

The other problem is that if you take your religious belief fundamentlistically you run the danger of putting up walls between you and them and that turns into unneeded confrontation when there there should be conversation as well as possible depression inside of you. This is if you find it necessarily to set right a wrong you hear every time you hear it or let it affect you so strongly.

Don't allow your religious belief to kill you inside. Fundamentalistic viewpoints can do such a thing and set a lemon within your heart.

I only had a couple of classes that challenged my viewpoints. Instead of confrontations with a professor I simply asked a question to a question to get the professor thinking. Sometimes they had no answer and other times ther was an answer.

I think that if you allow your religious belief to grab you so hard that you cannot hear the opposite side speak without falling into depression of some kind then you will have internal problems and you are not balanced inside.

2012/7/2 10:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy