SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Revival Rivalry: An Account of the Whitefield/Wesley Rivalry

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Revival Rivalry: An Account of the Whitefield/Wesley Rivalry

http://www.christianheritageuk.org.uk/Media/Player.aspx?media_id=81207&file_id=89964

In this fascinating audio lecture, church historian Lee Gatiss sheds light on the behind-the-scene forces and assumptions contributing to the Whitefield/Wesley controversy.

This dispute has significantly affected church history and still affects us today. I highly recommend this audio – as a means to clarify our understanding of this important segment of our history. (… and reflect on how it would affect our own discussions even here!)

This is one message in a series of 16/17/18th C. lectures by Lee Gatiss called "From Reformation to Revival" - found here: http://www.christianheritageuk.org.uk/Media/AllMedia.aspx Christian Heritage (Cambridge UK)

(you'll have to use the "speaker" search box)

Comments?

Diane

2012/6/27 16:37Profile
learjet

Re: Revival Rivalry: An Account of the Whitefield/Wesley Rivalry

Hi Diane,

There is more about this subject in the book "George Whitefield: God's Anointed Servant in the Great Revival of the Eighteenth Century by Arnold A. Dallimore".

The book is a wonderful read, probably one of the top 10 Christian books that I have read. Dr D goes into the subject pretty in depth but the book is a biography on Whitfield's life.

Leonard Ravenhill mentions Dr Dallimore and his writings about Whitfield in a bunch of his sermons on this site, this is the book that he was referencing.

Have a wonderful evening!

2012/6/27 16:46Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
There is more about this subject in the book "George Whitefield: God's Anointed Servant in the Great Revival of the Eighteenth Century by Arnold A. Dallimore".

Yes, yes, Learjet! I have this one – and it’s fabulous. I enjoy Dallimore because he has worked hard to unravel history from sensationalism and misconceptions. I think Lee Gatiss quotes from Dallimore actually.

Have you read the two-part comprehensive biography of Whitefield by Dallimore? Apparently it is a good read. (I’m waiting for a bargain).

Anyway – there is more revealing info on this audio than I remember seeing in the book. (That’s likely from the 2-part version) What do you think?

PS I have Dallimore’s Spurgeon and Wesley biographies too. – so refreshing and invigorating!!!

Diane

2012/6/27 17:29Profile
roadsign

Re:

I'm going to bump this because I suspect this audio recording is of interest here.

diane

2012/6/28 18:28Profile
learjet

Re:

Quote:
Have you read the two-part comprehensive biography of Whitefield by Dallimore? Apparently it is a good read. (I’m waiting for a bargain).

Hi Diane,

Unfortunately I haven't read it for the same reason ;-)

I know that the one that we both have is a condensed version of the larger volume. While reading the book I was disappointed that it ended, I could have read on and on. :-)

Have a great night!

2012/6/28 18:38Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I could have read on and on. :-)

Me too! When you know you've hit something honest and real you are deeply stirred - to the core. This is exactly why I someday hope to read the 1200 page version about Whitefield!

From what I gather Narrimore’s big Whitefield project is the result of careful and intense research including a liberal use of primary documents. It took him years. I think it was needed in order to clarify the besetting confusion. After all, historical re-telling is prone to being shaped according to WHO tells the story. That is certainly so, isn't it, regarding the hot controversy between Whitefield and Wesley.

The insights in this lecture, I believe, help us understand some of the dynamics behind the Calvinist/Armenian dispute in those days – and thus help us come to terms with it in our own minds.

Diane

2012/6/29 9:54Profile

Diane

Yet again, Wesley is misinterpreted regarding grace alone being necessary for salvation. Man receiving the gift of salvation, does not mean that he is working. Calvinists just do not get this.

But anyway the lecture took me back to my Calvinistic days and it was sad to see Wesleys character attacked in this way. The speaker criticises the manner in which Wesley spoke regarding others yet he speaks of Wesley in a manner of which I am so pleased to be out of those circles, of self righteous cold people. Wesley whatever you think of his theology was a great man and this is no way acknowleged by the speaker whom I would really like to ask how many have been saved through his ministry and compare that with that of Wesley.

I am not a follower of Wesley and disagree muchly with him but dislike to see this nasty manner exhibited towards him.

Wesley and Whitefield were not rivals as they had different ministries which Wesley recognised and gave credit to. Whitefield was an amazing evangelist and a preacher with few rivals, but Wesley was a minister for believers, showing them the way of sanctification. The doctrinal wars of Arminianism and Calvinism were of lesser importance.

2012/6/29 11:27
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Hey Roadsign, hope you are doing well. Think it's been a couple years.

I only made it about 25 minutes through the talk. The speaker is very well-studied and articulate, but the majority of what I heard was all about the errors of John Wesley and how great Whitefield was. Theology-wise I am not really Calvinist or Arminian, but I enjoy a Christ-like message on or by either. I don't really like running any brother in Christ living or dead into the ground as I will be judged by my own standard. Recognizing errors is one thing, but I just grew tired of the tone.

I would recommend J. Edwin Orr on the subject!

2012/6/30 10:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy