SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Some proof that last twelve verses in Mark our genuine

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Some proof that last twelve verses in Mark our genuine

I was shocked to see so many church fathers quote it, i got this from Textus Receptus facebook page.

Re Mark 16 ~

"Another wonderful event happened respecting Justus, surnamed Barsabas, WHO THOUGH HE DRANK A DEADLY POISON, EXPERIENCED NOTHING INJURIOUS THROUGH THE GRACE OF THE LORD." Papias (100 AD), Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History 3.39

"AND THE SIGNS WHICH SHALL ATTEND THOSE THAT BELIEVE IN ME ARE THESE: THAT THEY SHALL CAST OUT DEVILS IN MY NAME; AND THEY SHALL SPEAK WITH NEW TONGUES; AND THEY SHALL TAKE UP SERPENTS, AND IF THEY DRINK DEADLY POISON, IT SHALL NOT INJURE THEM." Tatian (140 AD), Diatessaron

"Also, towards the conclusion of his Gospel, Mark says: SO THEN, AFTER THE LORD JESUS HAD SPOKEN TO THEM, HE WAS RECEIVED UP INTO HEAVEN, AND SITTETH ON THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD; confirming what had been spoken by the prophet: The LORD said to my Lord, Sit Thou on My right hand, until I make Thy foes Thy footstool." Irenaeus (115 - 202 AD), Against Heresies 3.10

"And they went forth, and preached everywhere." Justin Martyr (151 AD), Apology

"Now these signs shall follow them that have believed in my name: they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall by no means hurt them: they shall lay their hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Hippolytus (170 - 227 AD), Constitutions

"In my name: they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall by no means hurt them: they shall lay their hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Vincentius (258 AD), 7th Council Of Carthage

"Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel to the whole creation. He that shall believe and be baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe. In My Name shall they cast out devils, they shall speak with new tongues, they shall take up serpents, and if they shall drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them, they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Ambrose (339 - 397 AD), On The Holy Spirit 2.13

"So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen. This is the end of the Gospel." Chrysostom (347 - 405 AD), Homilies, Benedictine Edition, Source -- John Burgon, Last Twelve Verses

"For the same Mark continues in these terms: And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. Then he appends this statement: So then, after the Lord had spoken unto them, He was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word by signs following." Augustine (354 - 430 AD), Harmony 3.25

Case closed!

2012/6/27 0:25Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Some proof that last twelve verses in Mark our genuine

Amen this is a great passage of scripture that is not listed in some bibles. Also I find the Apocrypha is quoted by some if not all the church fathers and all of it has been taken out of the bible after the time of Luter. Luther had them translated in his first printing of the german bible to my knowledge.

We have much to learn of apostolic early church christianity from the Church Fathers. We should not be content to just look at the reformed church for it was coming out of a 1500 old church with the trappings of it's religion and extra-biblical traditions.

2012/6/27 0:38Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

Thanks for posting this.

2012/6/27 0:54Profile
brothagary

Re:

what do you mean by case closed brother,,,is it that you need these men to verafie the validity of scripture

or is this about signs and wonders

blessings

2012/6/27 4:47Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

He might have been referring to a thread earlier about the same topic where we were discussing the long ending vs the shorter ending. If you Google "Long ending of Mark" or something like that you'll see what was being discussed.

The previous thread honestly didn't have much in favor of the long ending IMHO, except arguments that argued more in the favor of emotional sway instead of historicity, however if we have some quoting from the long ending as early as around 140 AD that would lend much more credibility to it's authenticity.

I was glad to read this, however I'd need to check the sources to see for myself how valid they are.

The KJV only crowd isn't known for being factually reliable or consistent (Read G.A. Riplinger's book and check out her "facts" if you're in the mood for a good laugh), so I would hesitate to take their word on anything, especially when it's being used to propagate something further that's historically/Biblically inconsistent, and if it's being quoted from Catholic sources.

We all know that the Roman Catholics don't just make stuff up when they have an agenda, right?

2012/6/27 5:42Profile
brothagary

Re:

oh right ,thanks brother

2012/6/27 5:45Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy