SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : God is not a doctrine. He is life.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

God is not a doctrine. He is life.

Dear saints, While we recognize the importance of sound doctrine, let us not forget that He is more than doctrine can ever tell. He is life itself, and we experience His life through our active, living faith in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. As we permit Him to live His life through us, while we also abide in His word, we gain spiritual understanding that leads to sound doctrine and a well balanced presentation of who He really is; and He will teach us the ways and means by which He would have each of us express Him to one another and the world.

He is so much more than we could ever explain as a result of discoveries made in the laboratory of our natual minds, isn't He? Even the greatest minds are still natural, and an "enemy with God." If we are not careful about permitting His precious Holy Spirit to actually "guide us into all truth," we can easily reduce God down to an intellectual argument - "ever learning and never coming to the knowledge of the truth." What a travesty this is. Let us patiently allow Him to guide us and teach us through His Spirit who dwells within, grounded in His word of truth. He will not lead us astray into the doctrines of mere men, but into His very life!

2012/6/26 23:41

Re: God is not a doctrine. He is life.

Dear Saints,

By God's gentle, long-suffering mercy and the empowerment of His grace, I have learned that if I allow the Holy Spirit to speak kindly through me to other believers who may not agree with me doctrinally, I can do far more good than if I argue the point and / or jump to erroneous conclusions. Now, at some time in the discussion it may be necessary to be firm and resolute; but there is also a way to do that in a spirit of love and humility.

Oftentimes the Spirit of the Lord has used me to walk and to speak in that "prophet's" role when direct confrontation and correction are in order. I do not enjoy it though, and I have to be careful not to do so in my flesh. And of course, the prophet's role is not what we should mimic when we are sharing truths for encouraging edification. That takes on a different tone altogether, indeed.

There is such a fine line between flesh and Spirit when discussing doctrinal issues. Sharing in love and humility is in line with the Spirit Himself, and the one who chooses that way may win out ultimately, whether he is right about his doctrine or not. He may eventually win out because his gentle spirit of humility will make it easier for him to see the truth if he is in error.

Some doctrine is very important, but it is a useful tool especially when shared by the same Spirit that it represents - God's Spirit, and not our own.

2012/7/9 23:11
proudpapa

Re: Proclaimit

Amen, Thankyou proclaimit for getting us back on track

2012/7/10 0:07Profile
jimur

Amen. Well stated Proclaimit.
I might possibly disagree with the use of natural in the phrase "the greatest minds are still natural" but believe myself to agree with the thought expressed. I am uncomfortable with the idea that man has been in a natural state at any time after the fall. Although considering the base definition of natural, my disagreement may well be in definition.

[edited in] However the following verse presents me a different perspective.

1 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV)
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

2012/7/10 8:31Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Brother,

Thank you for sharing these truths with us, for one of the greatest needs of the Church is to know the Lord through the revelation of the Holy Spirit. God's Word is Spirit and life, and we can never know the Lord by a mere intellectual understanding of scripture. The Holy Spirit makes the Word alive in us, and He has come to reveal Jesus to us and make Him real in us. Mental assent of the Word will not change us, but the intimate knowledge and fellowship with the Lord will transform us from glory to glory to be more like the Lord.

May the cry of our heart be that "O that I may know Him, in the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings."

May the Lord grant unto us the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him. May the eyes of our heart be flooded with light, so that we would know what is the hope of His calling, and know the riches of His inheritance in the saints, and that we would know the exceeding greatness of His power that works in us, that same power that raised Christ from the dead, and that is working mightily in us.

Mike

2012/7/10 9:02Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy