SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The First Resurrection

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The First Resurrection

The vast majority of the church today believes that just prior to the beginning of the tribulation period of 7 years, Jesus will catch away the saints to be with Him during this 7 year period and then return at the end of it and reign with Him for 1000 years on the earth as we know it today. The dead in Christ shall rise first, and then those of us who are alive will be caught up to meet with Him in the air. True? Is this what the Bible says?
Toward the end of Revelation, chapter 19, we see that the anit-Christ is destroyed along with the beast. I do think most agree that this is at the end of the 7 year trib. But then there is a startling revelation at the beginning of Chapter 20. Then comes the "First Resurrection". Now wait a minute, if the saints are going to rise at the beginning of the trib, wouldn't that be the "first" resurrection? I mean we couldn't have two first resurrections, could we? Look in chapter 20 or Revelation and see who is resurrected. It's those saints killed during the 7 year trib. These and the ones still alive at that time will be the ones who will rule with Jesus during the millenium. Isn't that what is says? There seems to me a huge conflict then in what is being taught, verses what the scriptures say. What say ye?

2005/2/13 7:39
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: The First Resurrection

It's best not to get too intense about eschatology... after all it isn't the end of the world. :-x

2005/2/13 18:19Profile

Re: Philologos

Quote:
It's best not to get too intense about eschatology... after all it isn't the end of the world

Well, I have seen more fellowships divided over eschatology than probably any other topic, especially online. But this thing about the first resurrection just somehow finally put all the missing links together for me. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. Given the depth of bible knowlege you have, Í'm rather taken aback by your comment. :)

2005/2/13 20:09
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

You have merely pointed to one piece of the puzzle. In I Thess. 4:15-17 we see that those who are alive do not preceed those who die in Christ..........many will die in Christ prior to His return in Glory. If the pretrib rapture were true, then live saints would preceed those who will die in Him. Scripture teaches otherwise. The thing which nails it for me: The Body of Christ IS the Church. Jesus will not remove "part" of His Body. When He comes it will be to gather IN ONE all things IN HIM----the dead in Christ (those in heaven He will bring with Him---I Thess. 4:14, Mt. 24:31, Mk. 13:27, Eph. 1:10,) will be gathered with those who are alive and remaining (surviving all around). Peter clearly teaches in II Pet. 3:3-9 that the reason for Jesus' delay is: the repentance of all who will come to salvation----when that number is complete (Jn. 6:37-39, Rev. 6:9-11, James 5:7) THEN He will come and the dead shall be raised and we who are alive and remaining shall be caught up together with them. Blessings in Jesus, Cindy

2005/2/13 23:15Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Well, I have seen more fellowships divided over eschatology than probably any other topic, especially online. But this thing about the first resurrection just somehow finally put all the missing links together for me. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. Given the depth of bible knowlege you have, Í'm rather taken aback by your comment. :)

It was a joke that I had heard two days earlier! Eschatology is the 'knowledge' of 'last things'.

2005/2/14 3:42Profile
StevenL

Re: The First Resurrection

You know, for a book about the "unveiling" of Jesus Christ, there sure hasn't been much unveiled has it? 2000 years of conflicting argument over something that has been unveiled. Weird, ain't it? :-)

Is it possible that Bible scholars have simply missed the whole thing?

2005/2/14 17:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy