SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is it possible?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rainydaygirl

Is it possible?

Can we keep conviction from coming to us? I have had other Christians tell me that they have prayed about certain activities (watching popular movies, listening to secular music, video game playing, reading fantasy books with magic, ect) and feel no conviction that they should not do these things. I am wondering is it possible for a person to deceive themselves into thinking that they are sincerely praying and asking God if they should do these things and because they already have the answer they want in their flesh God gives them no answer at all? Since they seem determined that they have freedom and liberty in Christ to do these things even though they say they are praying about it God does not give them conviction and they believe they are rightly walking with the Lord to continue in what they are doing?

Can a person who claims to be a Christian keep themselves from receiving conviction from God because they don't want to be convicted and see that what they are doing might actually be sin and something they would have to give up??
rdg

2012/6/26 9:52Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Is it possible?

If you are asking, "Is it possible for someone to be self-deceived?", then yes, it is.

It tells us in Romans 1 of those who reject God, that He leaves them to their own reprobate minds.

In the book of Jeremiah, we see how Israel is finally cast out of God's sight, and given to the king of Babylon for 70 years.

If we suppose we can please ourselves, or rather, our flesh, and still belong to God, we do deceive ourselves.

How we need to fear God.

But we don't.

2012/6/26 10:37Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Yes. If it IS sin (and that is a big if), then they may fall under this...

Romans 1:18-32 (NKJV)

God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them."

2012/6/26 10:38Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

I believe the way you have asked your questions speaks for itself.

Here is another scripture.

1 Peter 2:16, "As free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God.

A bondservant is a slave.

Food for thought.

2012/6/26 11:15Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

by enid on 2012/6/26 8:15:57

I believe the way you have asked your questions speaks for itself.

Here is another scripture.

1 Peter 2:16, "As free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God.

A bondservant is a slave.

Food for thought.
---
I had a hard time with the wording of this question I know in my head what I want to ask but have a hard time writing it out. If I am praying about a subject that others have shared with me that they see is not in the Lords will for me and I don't see what they are seeing is that me deceiving myself because I don't want to stop doing what I am doing? Like reading a book or watching a movie??

Thank you for the scriptures that you included. I guess the truth is I am now beginning to wonder if I am deceiving myself and that is why i do not feel convicted on some things?
rdg

2012/6/26 11:56Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Maybe you are not feeling convicted because what you are doing is not sin.

One Christian can read Harry Potter, for example, and it would not be a sin. Another Christian can read Harry Potter and it WOULD be a sin.

If you are strongly questioning whether you should be doing something, that may be the same as conviction, but only maybe. That is because if you have other people telling you that you shouldn't be doing something, they are laying a guilt trip on you (and they may or may not be right in doing so). And this can be confused with conviction from the Holy Spirit.

There is another thread on "legalism" you might want to check out.

2012/6/26 12:11Profile

Re:

rdg, I'd just like to re-post something that I read last week.

Was reading this small book and thinking - "It's All about Love". Desiring all of Him that we can get. To be in His Presence as much as possible. All the ways a human feels about the One they love more than life itself.

Quote from Hudson Taylor's Commentary on the Song of Solomon: "One with Christ".

""She is deeply conscious that He has richly endowed her and that she is as nothing compared with Him. But instead of proudly dwelling upon what she has done through Him, she would prefer that it would be possible for her to be the giver and Him the receiver.
This is far removed from the grudging thought that must grate so on the heart of our Lord, "I do not think that God requires this of me" or, "Must I give up that, if I am to be a Christian?"
True devotion would instead ask to be allowed to give and would count as loss all that may not be given up for the Lord's sake; "I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord" (Phil 3:8)
This desire to be more to Him does not, however, blind her to the consciousness that she needs His guidance and that He is her true and only Instructor.

She is essentially saying, "I want to give You my best, and yet I want to seek all my rest in You. "His left hand should be under my head, and his right hand should embrace me." (8:3)

There is nothing sweeter to the Bridegroom or to the bride than this hallowed and unhindered communion.""

She sought Him through-out the Song of Solomon.

Just filling in the time with reading and watching things from Him or about Him. Sowing to the spirit rather than the flesh -- for strength to get through the days of real temptation and trials, as well.
The closer we are to Him now - the closer we'll be by Him in Eternity.
Desiring to have our head on His chest now - as John did at the last supper.
In His Presence now. Nothing on earth is more beautiful or tempting.
That's Loving Him, as the Bride loves her Groom. Ideally.

2012/6/26 12:26

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy