Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : We All Stumble in Many Things

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Why are we settling for an Mediocre Christian life.

Yes there is a danger of falling into the deception of ‘sinless perfection’

But that is no excuse to remain a Mediocre Christian. Mediocre is a word that we use a lot without knowing what it means and mediocre means ‘half way up between the valley and the peak. It doesn't mean half-way between earth and Heaven, it means half way between where we used to be and where we ought to be.

Now that's where I would describe the average Christian.

What is the best Christ offers to us? Is the best that Christ offers the Romans 7 life?

Quote: Romans 7:18-25 is speaking of the war that is going on inside all of us as Christians. Galatians 5:17 says it this way, "For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish."

The quote above perfectly describes the Mediocre Christian life..

Quote: The difference between the unsaved and us is that we have the Spirit of God indwelling us and are led by the Spirit much more than being led by the flesh.

Mediocre half way up between the valley and the peak

MY BIBLE SAYS “they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts” Gal 5:24.

2012/6/27 15:23Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

"2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure."-1John3:2-3

2012/6/27 15:44Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Why are we settling for an Mediocre Christian life.

Yes there is a danger of falling into the deception of ‘sinless perfection’

But that is no excuse to remain a Mediocre Christian. Mediocre is a word that we use a lot without knowing what it means and mediocre means ‘half way up between the valley and the peak. It doesn't mean half-way between earth and Heaven, it means half way between where we used to be and where we ought to be.

Now that's where I would describe the average Christian.

What is the best Christ offers to us? Is the best that Christ offers the Romans 7 life?

Quote: Romans 7:18-25 is speaking of the war that is going on inside all of us as Christians. Galatians 5:17 says it this way, "For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish."

The quote above perfectly describes the Mediocre Christian life..

Quote: The difference between the unsaved and us is that we have the Spirit of God indwelling us and are led by the Spirit much more than being led by the flesh.

Mediocre half way up between the valley and the peak

MY BIBLE SAYS “they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts” Gal 5:24.(murrcolr)

It is posts like the above that make things really confusing for me. On the one hand you write, "Yes there is a danger of falling into the deception of ‘sinless perfection’". And then you go and try to discredit my contention against that doctrine.

If you want to call believing the whole counsel of God's Word "Mediocre Christianity" that's up to you. I hope to be balanced and true to the Bible. They say many heresies spring from extremes. Sinless perfectionism is an extreme view of holiness. On the other hand easy believism is an extreme view of grace. I hope we can come to a proper view concerning sanctification in the life of true believers.

2012/6/27 16:08Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: It is posts like the above that make things really confusing for me. On the one hand you write, "Yes there is a danger of falling into the deception of ‘sinless perfection’". And then you go and try to discredit my contention against that doctrine.

I agree with you that Sinless perfectionism is an extreme view of holiness I do not discredit your contention against it, however I do disagree with what your holding up as example of the Christian life. For example Romans 7:18-25 or Galatians 5:17.

I am calling what you hold up to be the normal Christian life as mediocre Christianity because to me is it half way between where we used to be and where we ought to be.

There is more for the Christian than that and it's right there in black and white in your Bible.

Heb 4:1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.

Heb 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God

1Cor 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way. Where is this better way, the answer is, Read the 13th chapter of First Corinthians.

Gal 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you.

2012/6/27 17:37Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Since the main concern which I meant to address in this thread was the heresy of sinless perfectionism, I did not see fit to address the victorious Spirit-filled Christian life. That is another topic in my estimation.

I briefly touched on the freedom and victory over sin we all have in Christ just so no one may get the impression I am promoting easy believism or cheap grace.

My main point in this thread is that even the most Spirit-filled Christian will still stumble(sin) in their walk daily, whether in thought, word, or deed, sins of omission or commission. To deny that reality in one's life is to be seriously deceived.

2012/6/27 18:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy