SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Open Air Preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ald0025

Open Air Preaching

I have been watching videos on youtube on open air preaching. For the majority of the videos I see preachers yelling at sinners to stop sinning, which I think is a oxymoron. I hear alot of I's, such as I repented, I stopped sinning, and they appear to be self righteous, like the reason that they are a Christian is because they are stronger mentally to overcome sin and live in holiness. They fail to mention the grace of God, I can tell you personally when I was in my unregenerate state I tried to stop sinning, but within a few days went back to my habitual sin. When I was born again it was the Holy Spirit convicting me of my sin not some preacher bring condemnation on me. I also do not hear the love of Christ in their voice or rather pleading with men. It should be all about Christ when preaching, he is the one who regenerates us and give us newness of life, transforming us from the kingdom of darkness to light. When preaching, the seriousness of sin needs to be brought up, like its a crime against God to sin and that God is holy and will one day judge the world in righteous. What is your opinion?

2012/6/18 21:41Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Open Air Preaching

Brother,

It is definitely sad to hear people yelling: "Stop Sinning" for that is what sinners do and can't stop if they wanted to. We must convict them that their sins are against God and then point them to the cross of Christ, the solution.

I have open air preached time from time and the Lord has used it every time that I have been prayerful and asking Him for grace. If I can open air preach anyone can.

This is a video of myself open air preaching in Bedford, England where John Bunyan used to preach the Gospel:

Greg Gordon Open Air Preaching In Bedford, England
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opdd7GY0k_s

2012/6/18 23:36Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

I was in Ybor City, one evening, when I came across someone who was trying to preach. He was very green and was reading the bible and really doing a bad job of it. I had the notion to take the bible out of his hand and read it like he meant it.

On the other hand, I never understand why many open air preachers preacher with anger. I can tell you that many preach out of their flesh and those who hear their noise walk away because to them it is as if mom and dad and trying to discipline them but in a wrong kind of way.

2012/6/19 15:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I have mixed emotions about open air preaching. On one hand, I really admire those who do it because quite frankly I am too chicken to do so.

On the other hand I am not sure how effective it is. I am not sure there is clear precedent in scripture- perhaps Jeremiah and Ezekiel..

but in the NT John the Baptist was in the wilderness and people went out to him to hear; the crowds came to Jesus, or he was in a synagogue where people already were expecting to hear something from someone. Peter's sermon in Acts 2 may have been open air; but people were coming around due to the phenomonen they were seeing/hearing. Paul generally went to the synagogues.

Sometimes open air preaching makes ME feel uncomfortable so I can imagine how it must make unbelievers feel. If they were made to feel uncomfortable out of conviction, well that is the goal, but I think that is rarely the case.

Greg- I appreciate you posting the video because I appreciate your spirit and style and I didnt sense any anger or judgmentalism.

2012/6/19 18:00Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Out of the abundance of the heart a man speaks. If a preacher indoors or out does almost nothing but preach about sin it is because their heart is full of it.

Peter said we are called to proclaim the excellencies of him who has called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Let's do that. Or let's go home.

2012/6/19 20:49Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Agree with others here that the spirit in which we preach is vitally important. As to whether or not it is biblical for today, here are parts of a short article I wrote a while back on the topic:

Old Testament:

Proverbs 1:20-21 declares, “Wisdom shouts in the street, She lifts her voice in the square; At the head of the noisy streets she cries out; At the entrance of the gates in the city she utters her sayings”

Isaiah was an open air/street preacher.
In Isaiah 58:1 the Lord says to Isaiah, “Cry aloud; do not hold back; lift up your voice like a trumpet; declare to my people their transgression, to the house of Jacob their sins.”

Jeremiah was an open air/street preacher.
In Jeremiah 11:6-7 the Lord says to Jeremiah, “Proclaim all these words in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem; hear the words of this covenant and do them.”

Jonah was an open air/street preacher.
In Jonah 3:1-4 we read: “Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah the second time, saying, "Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and proclaim to it the proclamation which I am going to tell you." So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three days' walk. Then Jonah began to go through the city one day's walk; and he cried out and said, "Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown." Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth from the greatest to the least of them.”

New Testament:

John the Baptist was an open air/street preacher.
Matthew 3:1-2 says, “Now in those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand

The Lord Jesus Christ Himself was the greatest open air/street preacher.
Matthew 5:1 tells us, “When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. He opened His mouth and began to teach them…..” And He went on to preach that famous Sermon on the Mount. There are many other accounts of our Lord preaching to crowds in the outdoors.

The Twelve Apostles were open air/street preachers.
Luke 9:1,6 says, “And He called the twelve together, and gave them power and authority over all the demons and to heal diseases….Departing, they began going throughout the villages, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere.”

Philip the evangelist was an open air/street preacher.
Acts 8:5-8 declares, “Philip went down to the city of Samaria and began proclaiming Christ to them. The crowds with one accord were giving attention to what was said by Philip, as they heard and saw the signs which he was performing. For in the case of many who had unclean spirits, they were coming out of them shouting with a loud voice; and many who had been paralyzed and lame were healed. So there was much rejoicing in that city.”

Charles Spurgeon said, “Where would the reformation have been if its great preachers had confined themselves to churches and cathedrals? How would the common people have become indoctrinated with the Gospel had it not for those far-wandering evangelists….and those daring innovators who found a pulpit on every heap of stones, and an audience chamber in every open space near the abodes of men?”

An article I came across states, "After the reformation other great movements were started by street preachers. The Methodist Church, co-founded by George Whitfield and John Wesley, is an example of this period. These two were Anglicans, but being banned from speaking in churches since they were not licensed, they took to ‘field preaching’, boldly proclaiming God’s Word to large crowd in streets and markets. They traveled throughout England and the American colonies and were instrumental in the Great Awakening… The Methodist Church was started by street preachers.”

And there are many more examples, even in modern times, of how God has greatly used this method of open air/street preaching.

2012/6/20 16:12Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

But in many cases in the NT the crowds were submitting themselves for preaching. John the Baptist was in the wilderness and people went out to hear him. The crowds followed Jesus around-- he always had an audience if he wanted to speak. The fact that he worked miracles obviously helped.

Of course I am not saying that there was no cases of true open air preaching in the NT-- but in most cases there seemed to be a willing audience-- although admittedly sometimes they were only willing to listen in order to accuse the speaker.

2012/6/20 16:22Profile

Re:

Very Good Oracio I agree 100 %

I have had the privelage of open Air preaching many times Last time was about 4 months (edit add, ago) had a good outreach with 4 being saved.

God bless you again for your faithfulness!!!!

2012/6/20 17:16
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Amen thingsabove! Thanks for the encouragement.

2012/6/20 17:21Profile
Trekker

northern USA

QUOTE: "I have been watching videos on youtube on open air preaching. For the majority of the videos I see preachers yelling at sinners to stop sinning, which I think is a oxymoron. I hear alot of I's, such as I repented, I stopped sinning, and they appear to be self righteous, like the reason that they are a Christian is because they are stronger mentally to overcome sin and live in holiness."==ALD0025

Yea, this is common and brings back memories of when i was in college (secular, liberal arts) and a group of "Christians", led by a grown man, came from somewhere and decided to open air preach on our campus. The only thing they succeeded in doing was to offend people because they criticized female students for the way they were dressed, calling them "whores"; they said they were whores for the way they were dressed. They yelled and they shouted and they argued with the students. Nothing at all Christlike. Did Christ yell? Did Christ shout? Did Christ engage in arguing? Did Christ call the woman at the well a Whore? Did he call Mary Mag a Whore? Did he call the woman caught in adultery in John Chapter 8 a Whore? Anyway, last time i checked, a whore is someone who gets PAID for their services and if someone is going to be called one they should be getting paid. There was no love nor grace in their tone or their words or their teachings. They were finally ordered to leave the campus and all they left behind was a bad impression. Nothing they said or did brought glory to God. It was positively shameful.

2012/6/20 18:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy