SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Holy Spirit - Part 8 - Fruit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vivmeeraj

Holy Spirit - Part 8 - Fruit

Fruit of the Holy Spirit

The word of God lists out what comes out of a Spiritual person but note that the list is put in one singular ‘fruit’. So these are not options as in the case of gifts. One has to desire and bear all these qualities. It is not something we have to work for. All we have to do is to let the Holy Spirit transform us into a New Man. These fruits come out naturally.

It is like a tasty fruit, a mango for example, which has got a great smell, sweetness, texture etc which makes it good. Similarly, a spiritual person when he/she lives in this world, shall be a light and salt meaning one who would make the life of others a little more brighter and tastier. Such a child of God shall encourage and comfort others by denying own privacy, pleasures, sacrificing all that is in the world. Do we really desire this fruit in us? Do we really care about living a life pleasing God?

Let us see some of the qualities of the fruit of the Spirit.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is

1.Love

1 Cor 13:4 – 8 Love is patient, love is kind {and} is not jealous; love does not brag {and} is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong {suffered,} does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Do we have this agape love in us? Any other type of love is not worthy to be considered as Christian love. Nothing, not even sin (in a person) should stop us from loving a person. We can hate sin, we have to speak the truth in love but never hate the person who is under sin. Secondly, love is to be expressed, go out and take steps if you love a person and not just say I would pray for the person. Maybe God wants to send you and shower His love through you and deliver the person. So go out and love people God has put in front of you. It is easier to pray for people whom you have never seen than loving someone (may be a bad person) in front of you. Think of your spouse, in laws, relatives, neighbors, boss, colleague etc. Do not extend your love to the world by neglecting them! It is hypocrisy.

2. Joy

Rom 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

Phil 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!

The joy in a Christian should not be taken away by circumstances, trials or tribulations. The cause of the joy is nothing but the fact that we are in Christ. I would not try to sound super spiritual (which I am not in fact) but should mention that the major cause of our dejections, desperation etc is some material need related. If we are able to keep our faith life above that, through the resurrection power, we can avoid those and rejoice in the Lord. We need to seek this quality of higher life.

3. Peace

Rom 15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Hope in eternity and peace in material life are directly proportionate. The more hope we have, the more peace we have in life. Holy spirit shall give us a peace that surpasses all the reasoning that we may have. I have experienced though I didn’t know that when I went through it) that all my setbacks, all my failures turned out to be for the purpose of me knowing Him and growing in Him. Now, I know, through the Holy Spirit that whatever happens in my life, shall be for good as my heavenly father is in charge.

4. Patience

James 1:19 {This} you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak {and} slow to anger;

In everything, a Spirit filled person shall be slow to talk, quick to listen, mature in actions. We need to strive and let the spirit lead us in every such situation and restrict our natural urge to act in other ways.

5. Kindness

We can see many instances of our Lord’s amazing grace and kindness with sinners and tax collectors. It is like the kindness we have for our own children, though godly love and kindness is far above that. What I am trying to say is that this kindness is unconditional. Even when the person is at fault, we shall not condemn and write off when there is a fatherly affection. With the rest of the world, we may not have such unconditional love. Now, the call here is to have it for the entire world, unconditional, agape love and resulting kindness.

6. Goodness

Being godly in our deeds, with fellow brethren, with the world at large, means having the nature of Jesus when it comes to interactions with them, doing good etc. I have seen people who give sermons when they are actually supposed to offer a monetary support and people taking the opportunity to reopen past mistakes when one approaches with a need. Jesus never condemned sinners when they were caught, He only showed ways to get victory out of it.

7. Faithfulness

I have been greatly challenged by some men of god in their stand in matters of money, moral areas, relationships etc. I have seen them struggling for money when they were custodians of some common fund. They could have used it with a request to the group and repaid later. But they wouldn’t. Instead, seek to raise a loan by pledging something. Similarly in moral areas, the same people have shown exemplary standards by being very careful in dealing with the opposite sex. Not a wrong glance, not a wrong word etc. Many would have taken situations for granted and enjoyed a little bit of ‘innocent’ flirting but not them! I now understand, they had submitted themselves completely on the altar as a sacrifice and the Lord had accepted that and proclaimed their bodies Holy unto the Lord.

8. Gentleness

I have been so challenged by the tender care of Jesus given to all the people He met. I am talking about all those who never deserved (by world’s standards) a bit of compassion, mercy, understanding etc. Our Lord who was filled by the Spirit of god was so loving and gentle and caring. Again the many instances including the woman caught in adultery speak about this gentleness. A Pharisical preacher would have given a sermon and made the person feeling even more guilty. This is one nature which is missing in Christendom today and what a sincere believer would seek to please our father in heaven.

Matt 9:13 "But go and learn what this means: 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

9. Self-control

When our emotions or actions become uncontrolled, and we act in ways ungodly, we take away the Lordship and stop listening to the Holy Spirit at least for a while. This is going out of the will of god, lead by self will (which has satanic nature by default). I know very well, this is not possible in all situations, yes it is not but a filling of the Holy Spirit in this area can make it possible and give us a godly self control. Let us desire and pray for that in every area we may fail.

2012/6/18 7:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy