SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Holy Spirit - Part 7 - Gifts

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vivmeeraj

Holy Spirit - Part 7 - Gifts

Manifestations of the Spirit – The hot topic

We would now look at the manifestations of the Spirit. This is one topic that is so controversial. People form denominations primarily for differences in manifestations! I am sure they have no regard to whatever we have meditated till now. But when it comes to manifestations, they are so vociferous.

I know we looked at Holy Spirit from different angles and did not come to the point one would have expected much earlier in a study on Holy Spirit. I was guided to convey the very purpose of the Spirit in a born again person as is written in the word. This purpose (of desiring the Spirit for the intended purpose) is very seldom thought of, acknowledged and desired. This state has resulted in another spirit ruling most of Christendom now.

The nine gifts of the Holy Spirit are

1 Cor 12:7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.1 Cor 12:8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;1 Cor 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,1 Cor 12:10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another {various} kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.1 Cor 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

1, 2 word of wisdom, the word of knowledge

Heb 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.

Heb 5:13 For everyone who partakes {only} of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant.

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

Solid food or the pure teachings of the word of God is accepted only by the mature who seek godliness. They would be ready to sacrifice self will and seek god’s will. This makes them meditate the word to know what god’s perfect will is. There are not just promises and consolations in the word but also corrections, warnings and even difficult teachings to deny the pleasures of world, flesh etc. The mature seek that more than the promises and consolations as they are already given to us. Discipleship is a choice of the disciple who is ready to deny self will.

3. faith

4. healing

Matt 10:1 Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

We hear a lot about healing in Jesus name and many go only for that. But when Jesus ordained His disciples to do that, He said this

Matt 10:7 “And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’

Matt 10:8 “Heal {the} sick, raise {the} dead, cleanse {the} lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give.
The message has to be about the kingdom of God and healing and everything else is a bonus. The right ministry will have the right focus and balance.

5. effecting of miracles

6. prophecy

2 Pet 1:17 For when He received honor and glory from God the Father, such an utterance as this was made to Him by the Majestic Glory, “This is My beloved Son with whom I am well-pleased”–

2 Pet 1:18 and we ourselves heard this utterance made from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
2 Pet 1:19 {So} we have the prophetic word {made} more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts.
2 Pet 1:20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is {a matter} of one’s own interpretation,
2 Pet 1:21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

2 Pet 2:1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.
2 Pet 2:2 Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned;
2 Pet 2:3 and in {their} greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

Please read Jeremiah 23 also. I am not going to its details here as it goes out of the scope.

7. distinguishing of spirit

This is one gift today’s believer probably needs more than the others. There is total chaos and confusion due to deceptive forces manifesting and preaching in contradictory ways. People are not able to discern and identify the spirit due to lack of meditation of the word and hearing from above. We really need to accept the word of God and be ready to hear from God. We need to discern before we accept anything, even when it comes from an established man of God.

8. tongues

9. interpretation of tongues

Tongues & interpretation of tongues

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.

Tongues, according to the word of God, is one of the gifts of the Spirit. We need to understand and accept that it is not the only sign. To make it more clearer, Paul has gone into details and established that it may not be given to all with an anointing of the Holy Spirit, as is the case with all the other gifts of the spirit. Many denominations can never accept this. But I prefer to accept the word of god as the standard. Similarly, Jews never accepted Christ as He was beyond what they could comprehend. For them their rituals and practices were more important than Godliness. So what about tongues?

‘Tongues’, one of the many manifestations of the Spirit of God, is often misinterpreted, abused and shown off as a sign of Holy Spirit anointing. This is the danger. Jesus encouraged us to discern a tree based on the fruits, Paul and all other apostles too encouraged us to discern by fruits. But we do not listen. Some denominations judge (not discern) other’s anointing by the tongues and other such expressions. As there is pressure from elders to get tongues as soon as one is baptized, poor believers are also forced to pretend. How sorry and what belittling of the Spirit.

The truth is that tongues may or may not be present in a person baptized in the Holy Spirit. But all are called to bear fruits of the Spirit. Difficult to accept? You would soon understand from the word of God itself. Unfortunately, we hear a lot about the manifestations of Holy Spirit and very little about its fruit. Today hard core proponents mean ‘do you have tongues’ when they ask ‘are you anointed by the Spirit’! They do not know any other meaning for anointing. In fact anointed ones bear fruits. Gifts are given as God pleases. But fruits are produced in those who have died with Christ and resurrected with Him.

Tongues is just one of the nine gifts for a person with Holy Spirit and these nine gifts are distributed among the body of Christ the way Lord wants them to be. No one can judge a person’s Spirit for the operation of any of these gifts.

1 Cor 12:28 – 31 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, {various} kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not {workers of} miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And I show you a still more excellent way.

And he went on the often quoted and seldom practiced 1 Cor 13 about love. Lord Jesus has exhorted us to discern the Spirit by the fruits. As some denominations consider receiving the gift of tongues more important than bearing fruits or even a holy life, people are forced to utter what they call tongues. I have seen many imitating others utterances and feeling happy. I would say that majority of the tongues we hear now are not by the Holy Spirit. It is an influence at the soulish level and getting emotionally carried away.

This is due to the fact that, praying in tongues has been projected as the first and most important sign of Holy Spirit anointing. Due to this teaching by preachers, believers are deceived to ‘learn’ or pretend tongues! What a sorry state. Then why not pretend the other gifts? You just read the verses once again. Nothing else can be pretended! There has to be a result in the other gifts. One can pretend tongues and get away by that. This is the deception of Satan. All Satan wants is to make you feel good about yourself, keep you in the same condition and even make you a religious person but ensuring you do not do His will. His will is to transform you to His image and to take you with Him on His second coming. Everything falling short of this is useless.

Do you desire holiness and doing the will of God more than tongues or any other gifts? You may not believe me, many believers give more emphasis to tongues than holiness. They do not worry about the spirit of the world dominating them. They feel not loving others, worldliness, gossip, bad mouthing and judging people are all human weaknesses not that serious but one has to pray in tongues!

So what about tongues? If God has given you – praise God! Pray in tongues the way it is appropriate as per the word of God. If you don’t have it and desire it, you may pray for it as for the other 8 gifts. If you get it -fine, if you don’t, never think you are any less than one with it. Please judge yourself by the fruits you bear. I consider living a holy, unworldly life and bearing fruits of the Spirit much more important than tongues. It is my struggle and every day battle with Satan to live a holy life. I pray for the Holy Spirit to take care of this. I pray for the other gifts also as they can help me and also others in need.

2012/6/18 4:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy