SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Holy Spirit - Part 4 - World

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vivmeeraj

Holy Spirit - Part 4 - World

The three systems resisting the Holy Spirit

As many are not aware of the real character of Holy Spirit, counterfeit is offered with which no purpose of god is achieved. We need to be absolutely clear about the purpose, the character and the need for Holy Spirit so that we too do not fall into the hands of enemy. To make things clear, we shall meditate on the following three stumbling blocks which deny a true Spirit and thus a spiritual life.

• The world (system of the world – worldliness)
• The flesh (carnal nature, self will)
• The Satan (bondages prior to salvation, His wickedness and deception)

We hear many other things about the Holy Spirit but not this so often. I would like to look at sin from the three angles as is done in the word of God. Sin comes mainly through these three areas. These three areas are World, Flesh, Satan as we just saw above. We need to get rid of them and then overcome it by the Power of the Holy Spirit.

World (worldliness)

The world offers many things. Some of them look so desirable and even acceptable for a spiritual man but they could actually be out of the will of God. We cannot set the standards as set by one’s spiritual mentor, pastor, church, culture etc. We need to understand what the word says and then set our standards. Only then can we seek the Holy Spirit to give us victory from sins of the world.

One clear sign of worldliness is, desiring everything that’s ‘good’, all the comforts and things of the world. How many of us would take the following verse seriously?

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Desire for world and its things

A worldly man would also accept all material things that come their way without any discernment, enjoy all kinds of friendship even if it is against spiritual values. (Loving everyone but not getting corrupt by them is the key). The worldly would have an undue urge to advance in life, career & society. They would always compare own status with others above them and seek climbing up all their life.

It is difficult to stop desiring the things of the world as they are so attractive; we are so used to desiring or having them. But the word says, the love of the Father is not in such men. I take this very seriously as I know it is the word of god. Even this knowledge is not sufficient for us to get victory. It may take time.

Small steps make a big difference. If one wants to obey, one would take a step according to the word. What specifically would you sacrifice today due to this word? A small step thus taken would go a long way in making one a spiritual person and not a lukewarm compromising person.

So do you still think that a lukewarm person is one who doesn’t shout too much while praying or thanksgiving? No it is this spirit which denies the word of God by not obeying or yielding to it who is lukewarm. Men do that as the teaching doesn’t suit personal preferences. Let us repent.

Accepting social standards rather than spiritual standards

James 4:4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Friendship with the world means accepting the social system of the world and compromising spiritual values due to that. For example, the world system considers many things normal which spirituality considers sin. Living together, watching indecent movies, gossiping etc.

Seeking respect from others.

A worldly man would maintain a certain status and do not mix freely with those below them. They might pretend humility by talking to lower level people but deep inside, they stay away from them. They would also feel that one’s image is important so one has to maintain a certain life style, dressing style, brand of car, size & grandeur of house etc.
I am not talking about men of the world who are very much there. If you fit to any one of these, realize and accept the fact that the spirit of the world is leading you. I admit, I am still struggling with many of these in various degrees. But I am sure I would succeed by Thy grace sooner than later in these too as in many other areas God gave me amazing victory. My top priority & prayer now is to make me a completely spirit lead person.

1 Cor 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,

If you are inclined to the world and live a worldly life, justifying yourself that you are better than many others, please be warned, you are an enemy of God. Human nature is to cling on to the world and its ways and pleasures as much as possible. The call for a spiritual man is to leave that and distance from it. The standard is clearly set in the word of God and the main purpose of the Holy Spirit is to see that we reach there.

Rom 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

The word of God clearly says what all amounts to being conformed to the world. Let us strive not to be. Following are some that amounts to being conformed to the world.

Materialistic nature

Undue urge for material things and to advance in material life is a clear sign. Most of us have this die hard nature in us though in varying degrees. Even in spiritual roles unless one is spiritual, we can see this manifesting, a desire to be the leader etc.

If your top priority is to get that promotion, buy that piece of land, increase the turn over etc you have an undue urge to advance in life.

Social iniquities & imitating the world.

Seeking respect from people – A respectable spiritual person doesn’t have to seek it or even desire it.

Class divisions

Maintaining a particular status, protocol etc when dealing with people.

Status conscious.

Desiring high or higher level of vehicle, house, dress etc as they are considered as status symbols.

Imitating the world

Following trends, fashions, practices of ‘higher’ societies.
Some of the above are not considered bad by the world. As the world system has entered the church, many inside the church also do not consider them bad. I am not trying to be out of the world but sticking to the word of God. It says so and so shall it be. Whether we like it or not.

There are many things that are acceptable to the world but they just dot not suit a spiritual man. Spirit is not about this world, but of a life above this world. Stay detached to the world by all means, even when we indulge in a lot of worldly things like working and leading a family life, running a business etc, keep away from the spirit of the world. We may have to do a secular job, but we do not fight for our increment or promotion. We trust in the Lord even when we submit our claims or request for a special grant. We trust 100% our God is in control.

Do not judge others by the above statements.

Do not judge a spiritual brother or sister by the way you see them. If they wear modest but modern clothes for instance; watch a decent Television programme or a decent movie; live a certain life style above yours etc. This is only Pharisee nature acquired from religious teachings. Religious life (rules, rituals and regulations) is to be replaced by spiritual life (relationship with God).

I am sure; God will look into our attitudes to many other things more seriously than these issues. So am I suggesting they can be neglected? No. Be soft, sensible and ask God when you have to choose for yourself. Let nothing or no one else guide you in such decisions. Be careful not to become rebellious also. What is not written in the Bible specifically has to be addressed by God alone. Ex. Can I watch a good movie? Ask God. How many pairs of dresses can I have? Ask God. When you understand the spirit of God, you would understand the likes and dislikes of Him and be naturally guided in such matters.

A call for a Christian – Simple living

I have personally experienced a craving for all those things of the world. The more you have it the more you want. When we fast, we realize how little food is required for the body. We overeat as we are used to overeating. When we do not have an income, we realize how better we could have used the money we used to earn. Everything in life is like that; you only crave for more as you get it. When you have it, you do not know the value of it. So you chase something higher. It is only a trap of Satan.

Titus 2:12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,

This is personally a challenge for me. I want to lower my standard of living on many fronts. It doesn’t mean that I am living an extravagant life, but I still have and buy and desire many unwanted things. I can utilize the savings for much higher causes. I do not want to look good for the sake of the society. I will be myself. Oh God, give me grace.

1 Tim 6:7- 11 For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance {and} gentleness.

A Christian from the day he/she is born again would start a journey towards eternity which is in exactly opposite direction of the world.

1 Tim 6:17 Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy.

Does this mean a spiritual man should not work or accept a promotion or any material reward that is rightfully his? No. A spiritual man wouldn’t be affected by that. It wouldn’t change his life style; he would rather use the extra income to bless others. If God gives one more material blessings than one actually needs, it is only to bless others. But who would accept ‘I have more than I need’? If one’s needs and wants grow with his resources, it is a clear sign of worldliness. Spiritual man wouldn’t need more and more. He would need less and less each day as he progresses towards eternity.

Is it possible for a spiritual man to do business? Yes, it is fine if one has the business acumen. The questions to ask self are the goal, purpose with that extra money etc. If it is only for self he is a worldly man, if it is for the glory and work of God, spiritual. It is all about ones spirit and inclination. Not about what one is doing in secular life or about the volume of wealth one has.

Glory and work of God, what does this mean? Everything that is pleasing to the eyes of the Lord like, doing good, supporting humans with a deep desire to help. I mean humans and not just Christians or believers. Every human being is a creation of God. He wants us to love and do all we can, for everyone. A spiritual man is broad minded and loves everyone. Of course there will be a special place for fellow believers or family in ones heart. But that shall not stop him from extending love and care to others.

The Christian choice in the area of worldliness

So the idea is to be detached from material things, to be ready to sacrifice it for a higher cause and to see wealth and possessions only as tools to help others and to sustain self.

Matt 6:24 ”No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Let us strive to get victory in this area dear brothers and sisters. It starts from an earnest desire for victorious Christian life. Once you have that desire, seek light from the word in the matter, which is seeking God’s will. Once God reveals that to you, cling on to it at any cost. Obey Him. That is the only way to victory.

What is the benefit of such an unworldly life? Won’t we miss out on many good things of life? Firstly, you would please God, secondly you would do His will in the world making the world a better place, thirdly you would bless a lot of people with your support and your guidance, fourthly, you would lead at least a few people to this victorious Christian life and make your earthly life meaningful. Over and above all that, it leads one to eternity. If these things are more important than instant pleasures, seek it and you shall find it. May God give you and me the grace to live up to His calling, praise and glory to God.
We saw how the world can affect us. Now we come to the second point through which sin enters our lives - flesh.

2012/6/18 3:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy