SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Holy Spirit - Part 3

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vivmeeraj

Holy Spirit - Part 3

Understanding Holy Spirit

This study aims at looking into the word of God with a clean slate to understand Holy Spirit. We would look at the following.

• God’s purpose in giving us His Spirit.
• Understanding God and His will
• Denying self will (flesh)
• Living a Spirit lead life
• Life of Spirit filled children of God.
• Victory from world, flesh, Satan.
• Manifestations of the Spirit.
• Gifts of the Spirit
• Works of flesh
• Fruits of the Spirit

God’s purpose in giving us His Spirit.

Now we are going to look at Holy Spirit through one of the primary roles of Him. If I am to explain the purpose of Holy Spirit in our lives in one sentence, it is

“The Spirit of God in ourselves helping us to overcome self will (flesh) and do God’s will”

Spiritual life starts only with repentance. Holy Spirit is given to a person who has repented, accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Be it a believer a backslid-en believer or unbeliever, the starting point is the same, repentance. Did I mention a believer starting his spiritual life? Yes. I meant, starting the day.

When we really desire a higher life, God showers us with His Spirit so that we can also live like Jesus did in this world. We can overcome this world. Hallelujah!

1 John 5:4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

There are many references on Holy Spirit, some of them we would meditate through this study. I have selected three points as they are directly spoken by Jesus so could be considered as the fundamental purpose of Holy Spirit. I hope no one disagrees with that.

If we look at them closely, we would realize how the church has lost this direction. Let us ensure our prayers for Holy Spirit anointing or a higher level filling be all in tune with the will of God. Then it is His job to do that, I mean answering our prayers.

1. To teach His followers all things God wants us to understand.

John 14:26 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

This is a very important purpose of the Holy Spirit. Why do we need the Holy Spirit to remind all that Jesus said or taught? We have our bibles, we have our pastors, messages, internet, Mp3 players what not? Why then we need the Holy Spirit to remind us of what Jesus taught us?

We can learn and remember anything with our intelligence. We store such acquired knowledge in our brains. Similarly, whatever we ‘learn’ about Christianity, even if it is the word of God, we store in our brain. Now here is the reason, Only Holy Spirit can take it to the heart and only when it reaches the heart, it will be of any spiritual use. A word or message that reaches one’s heart would do its work and soon there shall be fruits from it.

Very few seek this role of the Holy Spirit for which we have to deny our control over self and give it up to Holy Spirit. He is knocking at your door (heart) will you let go of your will and open it for Him? Forget all your reasoning and justifications, If you do not open up, you do not receive. You may know a lot of things. But you shall not receive or bear fruits.

To give an example, is there any believer who doesn’t know that lusting with the eyes is adultery? What is the use of that knowledge? It brings only realization of sin. When did we actually get victory? Only when we were broken to a certain extent after a series of failures that we admitted our incapability and let the Spirit take full control. The knowledge of sin from the word was carried to the heart and written as a new covenant by the Holy Spirit. Praise God for His wonderful ways.

Holy Spirit would teach us and remind us of all that, means sow that seed as a covenant in our hearts. If we listen to His voice, our lives would thus get transformed. Unless we let the Spirit teach us what Jesus wants to, we would remain in old covenant and never get the freedom from truth and grace. Coming out of Old covenant and entering the New covenant relationship is another vast topic we shall discuss separately. I hope you will seek and find it if you have not already come out the Law.

2. To be guided in all truth

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you into all truth.

Only the Holy Spirit can give us conviction on what is true and false. We see a lot of false spirits, false teachings and false prophets around. People are in the dark about what is true. Dear brethren, seek the Spirit and ask for the gift of knowledge and wisdom, discern the spirit (in speeches, messages, teachings) even when it sounds ‘spiritual’. The best way to do it is to take whatever you hear or read, including this article through the word and see if it is in line with the Spirit of God. Paul appreciated the men of Berea (Acts 17: 10-11) who did that. A spirit filled person would be guided in all truth.

3. To reprove the world of what sin, righteousness and final judgment mean for God.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is expedient for you that I go away. For if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness and of judgment.

The third purpose of God giving us His Spirit is more specific in nature. It says, the Holy Spirit would reprove the world of sin, righteousness and judgment which are like keys for spiritual life. Unless we understand sin, righteousness and judgment, we may not be able to succeed or even desire victory in any area of our spiritual life.
This being the case, we are going to analyze in depth these three areas in relationship with Holy Spirit. Before that, we need to go through a little more preparation. Sin enters one through these three. One who overcomes these through the Holy Spirit would also become righteous and aware of the judgment to come.

If we carefully look at the above fundamental purposes of God in giving us the Holy Spirit, we can see that most of the believers have denounced these roles, resulting in no Holy Spirit. Some pretend or live with another spirit and feel happy with certain manifestations similar to that of the Holy Spirit.

2 Cor 11:4 For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear {this} beautifully.

If we are to receive the Holy Spirit, we need to desire and accept Him for what our Lord wants us to have Him. This would lead to a Spirit filled life that bears fruit. Let us move forward.

2012/6/18 2:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy