SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Holy Spirit - Part 1

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vivmeeraj

Holy Spirit - Part 1

Preface

Holy Spirit is perhaps the most interpreted among the Trinity, probably for the reason He manifests in many ways. Denominations & individuals, based on traditions, personal interests and inclinations would give more or less importance to His manifestations and create incomplete or distorted teachings or practices out of it. This is the unfortunate state of Christendom today.

An experience or practice of someone or some group practiced over a certain period and imparted on to another becomes a ritual. Any practice or ritual which is not specifically mentioned in the word or not in the right proportion and spirit as taught in the word would be a dead work. Breaking the bread and baptism are not supposed to be rituals but actions resulting in a relationship with Jesus. Fellowship meetings should never become a ritual but a gathering of brethren to praise, thank and share His word. God would not be pleased by anything external, including the rituals, practices given in the bible, UNLESS it comes from a clean heart. Let us remember the words of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Matt 5:20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses {that} of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Pharisees had an external holiness, they were meticulous when it comes to practicing their rituals, including tithing, but they had no heart which was cleansed by the blood of the lamb. This was what our Lord wanted to give them but they denied. Unfortunately, many believers are also in a similar state, religiously following rituals and not letting our Lord to cleanse the inside. And Jesus considers this nothing but hypocrisy.

Matt 23:25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence.

It is difficult to meditate on Holy Spirit unless we prepare our hearts to receive Him. Every time I read this article, I feel like editing it further, removing and adding a few lines here and there, as the Spirit leads. I mean, no study on Holy Spirit is complete or perfect. The idea is to study with an earnest desire to know Him closer and closer and be filled with a larger portion. I am sure He would do so in measures we never thought possible. All we need to have is to meditate on Him with a teachable attitude.

I do not want to confuse people further with my own views on Holy Spirit as there are many already. But for one who seeks the truth, the word of God and the Spirit of God Himself are the only dependable sources we can look up to. So let us do that; asking Him in prayer.

If we are ready to listen to His voice, we will know Holy Spirit. Unless we know Him, how can we desire Him? Oh God, give us a clear understanding of your Spirit. We accept that our understanding of the Holy Spirit could be biased or even distorted as our revelations could have human corruptions.

We need to hear from you, through your living word, revealed further by your Spirit Himself. We pray that you utter the magic words ‘Let there be light’ so that the living word be lit in the hearts.

2 Cor 4:6 For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

Through this study, I desire to understand Holy Spirit clearly myself. If it helps you too, I would be extremely happy.

We can hear from God if we
• Go to His presence in total humility and submission.
• Without a personal agenda. Forget personal wishes, plans and ambitions. Just ask Him for His.
• Without prejudice. Forget whatever ideas you have acquired over years. Ask Him for revelations, be it your 100th year in faith life. You need to hear fresh from Lord!
• Accept His voice. When God speaks, say “here I am Lord; I want to deny mine and do your will”. This is the only way to hear the next thing from God.
• Be ready to pay a price. A word from God could have corrections, consolations, guidance, promises and warnings. Take them all equally important. Do not fall prey to the enemy by seeking only consolations and promises. Most of the messages we hear today offer only that. So people are more comfortable with such speakers than with Jesus and His word.

2012/6/18 2:12Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy