SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Messiah as King

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ArtB

New York

The Messiah as King

The following posts I wrote before I had my stroke. I do not think I can do such research today.

Messiah as King

"Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab."

Balaam, a gentile Prophet, was offered a great reward by the gentile king of Moab to curse Israel, whom the king (Balak) feared. King Balak knew that whomever Balaam blessed would truly be blessed and whomever Balaam cursed would truly be cursed. Three times King Balak arranged for
Balaam to curse Israel, but Balaam was only able to speak the words God gave him to speak, and all three times Balaam blessed Israel. King Balak was enraged that Balaam had three times blessed Israel and had not cursed Israel. Balaam responded:

"Did I not tell your messengers whom you had sent me saying 'though Balak gives me his house full of silver or gold, I cannot do anything contrary to the command of the LORD, either good or bad, of my own accord, What the LORD speaks, that I will speak.

"And now behold, I am going to my people; come, and I will advise you what this people will do to your people in the latter days. ...

"The oracle of Balaam, the son of Beor, and the oracle of the man whose eye is opened, the oracle of him who hears the word of G-d, and knows the knowledge of the Most High, who sees the vision of the Almighty, falling down yet having his eyes uncovered.

"I see him, but not now;
I behold him, but not near;
A star shall come forth from Jacob,
and a scepter shall rise from Israel
and he shall crush the forehead of Moab
and tear down all the sons of Sheth."
Numbers 24: 12-17

The initial reference in this prophecy is King David, who defeated Moab and subdued the Idumeans. But as David himself points to his much greater offspring [perhaps to be discussed in a future post], so too, this Prophecy of the Star and the Scepter also points to David's promised greater offspring, the Messiah.

This Prophecy brings to mind Genesis 3:15, in that there is enmity between the offspring of the serpent and the offspring of the woman, and that the offspring of the woman will crush the head of the serpent.

'I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near;' God has a timetable to accomplish His purpose and His Messiah surely shall come in the appointed time. In Daniel 9:24 we are given a glimpse of this timetable, for times are set to 'seal up transgression, make an end to sin, to make atonement for iniquities, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy place.' Before this happens, the Messiah shall come and be cut off from His people (Daniel 9: 25-26).

Christians see a literal fulfillment in the Star rising from Jacob, the star of Bethlehem, which the magi followed to pay homage to Yeshua at the great event of His birth in Bethlehem. I'm sure my Jewish friends see this verse more symbolically, perhaps simply that the Messiah shall be the offspring of Jacob. Rabbi Akiba, once thought by some Jews to be the Messiah, took the name Bar Kochba that means Son of a Star.

The Scepter, the rod of the King, for whoever holds the Scepter has the right to rule. The Scepter shall be passed along to the Messiah at the appointed time.

Jacob passes over Reuben, his first born, and Simeon and Levi who are his second and third sons, and picks the fourth son, Judah. Of Judah he says:

"The Scepter shall not depart from Judah,
Nor the Rulers Staff from between his feet,
Until Shiloh comes, and to him shall be the
obedience of the peoples."

Shiloh is another name of the Messiah. The Scepter and Ruler's Staff are the symbols of government. Judah is called God's lawgiver (Psalm 60:7, Psalm 108:8) and the verse indicates that the kingly scepter and the lawgivers’ staff shall remain with the tribe of Judah till Messiah (Shiloh) comes. The Messiah shall rule all Israel and all peoples when He comes.

As a Christian, I expect this to be completely fulfilled at Yeshua's second coming. However, at His first appearance two thousand years ago, it is to be noted that the temple, the rule of Judah, and tribal distinction all came to an end by 70 AD at the hands of the Romans. Thus begam the Diaspora of the Jews, the penalty for not keeping the Mosaic Law, and their Messiah Jesus.

Also, All authority passes from Judah to the Messiah, which (IMO) occurred at Yeshua’s first appearance upon his ressurrection. Yeshua came as the suffering servant the first time to make atonement for iniquities, and shall come as the victorious king the second time He comes, according to the Scriptures.

It is worth noting at this point; that firstborn in the Tenach does not mean exactly first-born son. It means first in rank, first in priority, first in eminence. G-d calls Jacob the firstborn in Exodus 4:22-23, though Jacob was the second born of Isaac. G-d calls Ephraim firstborn (Jeremiah 31:9), though Ephraim was the second son of Joseph. In Genesis 49:2-3, Jacob Prophesies to Reuben that though Reuben is his firstborn son, that his being firstborn will not yield him the right of a firstborn to have preeminence. Jacob passed on this eminence associated with the firstborn to his fourth son - Judah (Genesis 49:8-12).

2012/6/13 23:31Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re: The Messiah as King

Hi Art, i hope you are recovering ok. Sorry to hear about your stroke. God bless you.

2012/6/14 4:49Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

Thanks Trekker, I am okay, just have some memory problems and my mind shuts down when I try to mentally multi-tasks. Otherwise I am physically fit. I go to a gym, and go Hiking in scenic areas, regularly.

2012/6/14 9:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy