SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Missions to Africa?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

For that matter right after the Soviet union collapsed everybody wanted to go to Russia. I was one of them. At the time it was a Romantic fad. No calling of God.

Bear.

2012/6/13 14:06
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

bearmaster

I do here you. fad and romanticism have been some key words I have found in response that I think I would agree with. It does leave me sometimes wondering that when people make these trips and say 'God sent me to ......' While the trip may have been worthwhile in what was done, did God really send them there? It is a question separate God's leading from the fad and romanticism of it.

I am not hear to pick on these groups who do these things although it may seem so. I think part of my interest is the tide of interest in these areas and using the 'leading of God' to confirm it when it is probably the fad or romanticism or something else for that matter.

I think it could go under the header of hearing the Voice of God or the leading of God vs. the leading of self in the name of God. Does that make sense?

2012/6/13 14:53Profile
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

Deadn, I live in Lakeland where this girl is from and I read the article this morning. This girl did this on her own compassion. And honestly for you to question what God has put in and on her heart for these people and post it here as if you are some authority is a little ridiculous. Brother this girl is doing the work of Christ and you are criticizing her for it. Come on dude. I pray for my sons to be as she is...

2012/6/13 15:01Profile
philomastix

Re: Missions to Africa?

DEADn,

I generally have two responses to this phenomenon, one which gives those involved the benefit of the doubt and one that is more cynical.

The positive, yet reserved, response, is that Western Christians frequently have a heart's desire to "do good" for the Kingdom, for other people, for those suffering, etc. With this desire seeking an object, it seems that a trip to Africa is significant and worthwhile and "Oh those poor people are in such need of help that we can provide." Perhaps some don't know of other options, or feel that local missionary efforts are not as important. As unjudging as I can say it, they mean the best.

The missionary's path to Africa is a well-trodden one. Dr Zac Kiyingiye of the Church of Uganda connects the rise of the African mission movement to the European colonial effort. There is surely something to this. Western popular cultural discourses frequently diminish Africa and present it as a land desperately needing help. The trillions of dollars given in aid to the continent by wealthier developed nations further cements this discourse. In a logistical sense, many missions organizations are well established in Africa and have long histories with many connections, even to power. Setting up a trip for a church group is relatively easy, then. Africa is also easier to sell to people when one is appealing to churches for support. I remember when a group from my church went the youth leader commented that the congregation came out of the woodwork to support it financially, though he had difficulties getting support for a local outreach. There is also a sense in which it is "more meaningful" to go far - the romanticism that has been mentioned.

But all of this doesn't mean it's a good thing. My wife and I served a couple terms in a remote part of Uganda, teaching the Bible to those in the local churches who wanted to learn. Judging, after those years, that our ministry was complete, we returned to North America. The church was able to continue growing without the infantilizing crutch of the rich and know-it-all Westerners. We saw revival on a local/regional level, concluded that God was working, and left.

While I am sensitive to the heart's desire of the youth of our church (or, really, anyone I know who wants to do well), I resist big talk about going to Africa for a short-term experience. And this for several reasons:

1 - the cost of sending a group is outrageous. Even our monthly support requirements (over $3000) seemed an absurd demand. I surely don't make that now in North America. We lived comfortably and effectively on far less, but such were the requirements of the mission.

2 - the purpose of the trip is frequently the experience, not the "mission" aspect of it. Because when so much money is spent and the group travels so far, one must needs take in the cultural experience and do some of the touristy things. Thus safaris and rafting on the Nile and such. These things aren't bad, but the excitement of these attractions surpasses the mundanity of ministry. For those coming from a consumer-culture, with consumer worldviews, the trip itself is something to consume. You can hear this in the words of teenagers listing off all the countries they've been to "for the sake of the Kingdom."

3 - it doesn't really help. Sure a group may build a church or a house or a wall, but I've seen in the community where I lived the negative effects. Suppose one is trying to bring men into the congregation. This is tough because it is perceived as a place for women and children. It works counter to one's efforts to have a bunch of teenagers come in with flashy clothes, equipment, and cameras, and build the church in a week and then leave. It emasculates when the work that would typically be the work of men (not that every gender-based tradition in Africa needs to be honoured. There is much to be challenged in the name of the Gospel) is done by rich white children.

Further to this point, for a group of North Americans to show up with gifts and "free" labour also diminishes the local culture and economy (Dambisa Moyo's book "Dead Aid" addresses this effectively on a macro-economic level). It re-performs the act of the rich country giving "aid" to the poor one. I say this about Sam's Child Christmas boxes, too. I have distributed them and seen that they bring out the worst in people, despite the heartwarming photos on the pamphlet. Twice North American groups came to our area, one group affiliated with our mission and one without. While the youths certainly gained from the experience, the people with whom we lived did not appreciate being the objects of their curiosity. They smiled to meet people, but resented their coming to pity the village.

So when I hear of a blessed youth from our congregation thinking of Africa, I don't suggest short-term experiences, or even raising a lot of money and sending it. If God is calling one to Africa now, I suggest getting educated and then judging if God is still calling one. Uneducated and untrained youths are not helpful, even though their purpose is a Kingdom one. I remember reading K. P. Yohannan's "Revolution" book while I was in Uganda and being so angered at his accusations against Western missionaries, angry in part because I couldn't refute what he wrote. The $5000 (or whatever it costs per person to go on such a trip) is better invested elsewhere, rather than plane tickets, accommodations, and adventurous trips to the game park.

So much harder is trying to discern what is a good thing to do to help, if that is one's God-given desire. One cannot ignore the world, but it is so difficult to actually help and not just ease our own consciences.

DEADn, I hope this has contributed something.

2012/6/13 15:31Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

gators52

You narrowed my original post down to 1 person but my post is not limited to 1 person. It is to multiple people, groups and churches. Please reread it again.

2012/6/13 15:37Profile
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

This girl is not looking short term but long term. She has purchased an acre of land and also is desiring to build an orphanage on the site. She went there and in order to find sleeping arrangements she cooked and cleaned for people. This is not a romantic idea or a fad. DEADn you failed to list all of these things and in doing so you made it seem as some pity this girl has on the poor people of Africa. Far from the truth....

2012/6/13 15:40Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

philomastix

Good post here!

There really seems to be pro's and con's when it comes to youth on missionary trips and that is understandable. I am always amazed at the money it takes to go there. I have flown to the Philippines 3 times now but it didn't cost me $5000 for the whole trip but that is another story.

side note, Philippines has jeepneys as a great way to commute through Manila for cheap. One day when I traveled from a mall to my wife's apt a lady, sitting next to me, began to preach when we started rolling. It was in tagalog but I could tell when she mentioned the Name of Jesus. She preached until it was her turn to get off and this lasted abotu 20 minutes. I just smiled at her. I thought it was great!

2012/6/13 15:44Profile

Re:

I think it may be that someone who feels god calling them to serve will be draw to the place they see the greatest need.
God bless these folks, and I pray that God gives them wisdom as to where to serve and protection.

2012/6/13 15:58

Re:

Paul wrote to the Philippians about the motives of preaching. Some were preaching Christ from pure motives. Some from false. But he rejoiced that Christ was preached. I guess we should encourage mission trips. But do it under the Spirit's direction.

Bear

2012/6/13 16:11

Re: Missions to Africa?

Quote:
My first thought was what about American kids in need?

There is a real need in Africa, that goes without saying.

When I read your question above, the first thing I thought of was a verse in the Acts about Paul going to Asia but was warned by the Holy Spirit not to go there and I thought, why not? Is there not people there that need to hear the gospel too? But then another thought entered my mind and that is, "thy will be done".

Yes our local churches need help too, but if God sending others elsewhere, He must know what He is doing.

2012/6/13 20:05

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy