SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Swaggart "expositors" bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
kjcword

The Swaggart "expositors" bible

Hey everyone. I would like to ask what y'all think about the Jimmy Swaggart expositors bible. There are members of our church who prefer it above anything else. From what I see, my two biggest problem areas are: 1) the unfounded, finis dake pre-adamite earth theory and 2) the surprisingly unorthodox stance on MT 16:24 concerning Jesus telling us to deny ourself and carry our cross and follow him.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to express how much i love this forum.

thank you

kjcword

2012/6/6 18:26Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: The Swaggart "expositors" bible

Why all these versions different emphasis bibles like

Womens bible (do women need a different bible?)
Soldiers bible (why do we need that?)
Spirit filled bible (are the others not spirit filled?)
New Spirit filled Life bible (even better!)
John MacArthur study bible (Do I need a man to present the bible to me?)
The Healing Bible with Morris Cerrullo for $297,05
Masters Healing Presence Bible (a bit cheaper, only $104,97, Aspirin is still cheaper)

Why not just read a good literary bible translation like the KJV and allow the Holy Spirit to be my teacher?

2012/6/6 19:19Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
the surprisingly unorthodox stance on MT 16:24 concerning Jesus telling us to deny ourself and carry our cross and follow him.

It would be interesting to hear the stance that this bible takes on that passage. But I do agree with the next post we really do not need these extra bibles. Tozer would have grieved the fact that his words compile a study bible now. I am not saying we should never use them but really the scriptures by themselves are sufficient.

2012/6/6 19:21Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: The Swaggart "expositors" bible

Quote:
Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

As with any expository bible, the commentary, notes, etc., are not inspired, but are a reflection of the particular doctrinal views and personal beliefs of the commentator. It makes for a challenging read in my view. This is why I would recommend either a plain bible or one that has Hebrew and Greek words (tenses, etc.) that assist in the exegetical study of the text without a lot of commentary. The Newberry Bible is one I use.

Jimmy Swaggart is often criticised for his focus on the finished work of the cross. Matthew 16:24 is an example of his conviction that our deliverence from the power of sin is found in the finished work of the cross. He simply has the note, "the benefits of the cross, what Jesus did there [Col. 2:14-15]. This view is a consequence of his ongoing study driven by a desire to find victory over sin. After his fall he sought the Lord believing that the answer is in the book. He believed the bible contained the solution to his sinfulness. He believes he found the solution in understanding and applying what Christ did on the cross as it is a lot more than paying our sin debt. He is right about this, though I do not agree with him on all the details. In Matthew 16:24 I believe our own personal cross, that is, the perfect will of God for each of our lives, is what is in view. But I don't know a single minister that does not hold some unique view of some verse that I would not agree with. No different here.

What I am truly challenged by Paul's words to young Timothy; Some men’s sins are clearly evident, preceding them to judgment, but those of some men follow later. (1 Timothy 5:24 NKJV) The fact that J.S. longs to have victory over sin, in the face of all the years of humiliation, is a unique phenomena in our times and should not be discredited. His sin has gone before him to judgment. I have to wonder, what about the multitudes with secret sins that have been brazen enough to criticize the man trying to get right with God, stay right with God and go on preaching the Gospel? The fact that the man is doing anything for God is a testimony to God's grace and I for one will not be in the line criticising or critiquing. I rather spend the time considering myself, lest I also be tempted and fall. (Gal. 6:1)

2012/6/6 19:39Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Just to expand on what he is reffering to in Matthew 16:24ff:

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (Romans 6:4, 5)

The key to our being dead to Sin (the dynamic) is that Christ Himself has already died to Sin in our place. This is what breaks the power of Sin over our lives.

For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. (Romans 6:10)

Jesus died to Sin so that those that have been baptized into Him by the Spirit can share in that reality. In the same way we were born in Adam bent towards Sin, we can be born again in the last Adam Jesus Christ DEAD to Sin. The key is the experience of having truly been Baptized into Christ. IF that reality is true then we can go on to the next verse:

Rom. 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus.

One can only RECKON what is already a reality. It is not pretending. Like writing a check. I can reckon all I want to that the money is there to cover the check I write, but if a deposit was never made it will bounce all the same. The word for reckon is the direct middle imperative of logizomai and complete proof that Paul does not mean that water baptism makes one dead to sin and alive to God. That is a spiritual operation is “in Christ Jesus” and only pictured by baptism. This is a plea to live up to the ideal of the baptized life. (A.T. Robertson) The key to truly being dead to Sin is not water baptism, but Spirit baptism. Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

2012/6/6 19:56Profile

Re:

Why don't we simply read the Bible irregardkess of what type it is?

Bearmaster.

2012/6/6 19:59
kjcword

Re:

Maybe I should have explained myself a little better. I agree with each and every point made thus far. Some of our church leadership has begun to teach and hold to everything that this particular ministry preaches. I have began to feel a little uneasy about this. I am troubled and feel as if we have not sought God as much as we have sought the Swaggart expositors bible. I actually prefer to only go to commentaries after i have studied, just to make sure that i am not veering off. Thank you guys for your input.

2012/6/6 20:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:

"Womens bible (do women need a different bible?)"

NO!

"Spirit filled bible (are the others not spirit filled?)"

When I first saw this in a store I was appalled! You indicating other Bibles are not "spirit filled but yours?" This is the nicest thing I can say about this title.

New Spirit filled Life bible (even better!)

Read the above.

The Healing Bible with Morris Cerrullo for $297,05
Masters Healing Presence Bible (a bit cheaper, only $104,97, Aspirin is still cheaper)

Really?! Ya gotta be kidding!

All these different Bibles could indicate that Christianity is nothing but another philosophy being marketed by enterprising entrepreneurs.

2012/6/7 7:00Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the main problem i have with this bible is that the helps are in with the scripture and are in red. it is something that an old dog cannot get used to.i can read my thompson chain easier and the scriptures are not interupted with comments.jimp have not found much in the comments to argue about.

2012/6/7 7:51Profile

Re:

Nobody is talking about the elephant in the corner. I truly hope (and even believe) that Swaggart has moved beyond his sins of the past and has repented. However, according to the Bible he is no longer qualified to be a pastor or shepherd. I'm not making any comment on what he teaches, or what his doctrine is... but what I am saying is that he circumvented the "discipline" process and within a short period of time he had himself right back in the pulpic after bringing MUCH public disgrace to the name of Christ.

This is a real problem, and I believe that we would do well to be VERY cautious of this man.

Like I said, I believe he has moved beyond all the sins of the past. But that does not make a man qualified to pastor or shepherd or teach.

Krispy

2012/6/7 8:00

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy