SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Powerful Quotes by Tozer, Ravenhill, Moody and Havner

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Powerful Quotes by Tozer, Ravenhill, Moody and Havner

A. W. Tozer
"Faith, as Paul saw it, was a living, flaming thing leading to surrender and obedience to the commandments of Christ."

"An honest man with an open Bible and a pad and pencil is sure to find out what is wrong with him very quickly."

"The devil is a better theologian than any of us and is a devil still."

"We need a baptism of clear seeing. We desperately need seers who can see through the mist--Christian leaders with prophetic vision. Unless they come soon it will be too late for this generation. And if they do come we will no doubt crucify a few of them in the name of our worldly orthodoxy."

“God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which he must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves.”

“To be effective the preacher's message must be alive; it must alarm, arouse, challenge; it must be God's present voice to a particular people.

Leonard Ravenhill
"If the whole church goes off into deception, that will in no way excuse us for not following Christ."

"Many of us are hunting mice - while lions devour the land."

"Is the world crucified to you tonight? Or does it fascinate you?"

"When there's something in the Bible that churches don't like, they call it 'legalism.'"

"The secret of praying is praying in secret."

"As long as we are content to live without revival, we will."

"Our seminaries today are turning out dead men."

"You can have all of your doctrines right - yet still not have the presence of God."

"A true shepherd leads the way. He does not merely point the way."

"Our God is a consuming fire. He consumes pride, lust, materialism, and other sin."

Dwight L. Moody
"The Bible without the Holy Spirit is a sundial by moonlight."

"There is no better evangelist in the world than the Holy Spirit."

"Earth is receding; heaven is approaching. This is my crowning day!"

"There's no better book with which to defend the Bible than the Bible itself."

"I have had more trouble with myself than with any other man."

"We can stand affliction better than we can prosperity, for in prosperity we forget God."

"We talk about heaven being so far away. It is within speaking distance to those who belong there. Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people."

Vance Havner
"Most church members live so far below the standard, you’d have to backslide to be in fellowship. We are so subnormal that if we were to become normal, people would think we were abnormal."

"To some, Christianity is an argument, to many, it is a performance. To a few, it is an experience."

"Salvation is not a cafeteria where you take what you want and leave the rest. You cannot take Christ as Saviour and refuse Him as Lord and be saved."

"Faith will not always get for us what we want, but it will get what God wants us to have."

"People get so used to the dark that they think it is growing brighter."

"Plenty of church members are shaky about what they believe, while not many are shaken by what they believe."

"Salt seasons, purifies, preserves. But somebody ought to remind us that salt also irritates. Real living Christianity rubs this world the wrong way."

"If you are a Christian, you are not a citizen of this world trying to get to heaven; you are a citizen of heaven making your way through this world."

2012/6/6 14:00Profile
rnieman

Re: Powerful Quotes by Tozer, Ravenhill, Moody and Havner

Thanks Greg.

I liked what Tozer said

"“To be effective the preacher's message must be alive; it must alarm, arouse, challenge; it must be God's present voice to a particular people."

2012/6/6 15:40Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Havner: "If you are a Christian, you are not a citizen of this world trying to get to heaven; you are a citizen of heaven making your way through this world."

or, as I have heard said in another way, "as Christians we are agents of a foreign government."

2012/6/6 15:50Profile
Jeremy221

Last night my friend played a reading of the memiors of early Presbyterians. They were men full of the Spirit and the gifts thereof. These men of prophecy and fervent prayer. Like quote by Tozer about this generation needing prophets, these were men sent by God walking in step with His Spirit that were used to rebuke the apostate church of the day. I'm glad you posted these they're very sobering and Christ exalting.

2012/6/6 17:16Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Jeremy,
Is there a way to listen to those memiores you mentioned.
Do you have a link or could refer me to the source.

Thanks.

2012/6/6 17:52Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Biographia Scotacana/Scots Worthies

My friend played them for me. I believe theyre on SermonAudio in the Still Waters Revival Books section. I can't remember the title of the book though so I'll have to get back to you on this.

I believe it's called Biographia Scotacana or Scots Worthies.

Edit: Updated info with the title.

2012/6/6 21:11Profile
NateMarshall

Re:

I think it was Tozer that said this, quoting a professor of his:

"A vision without a task makes a visionary; a task without a vision makes a drudgery; a vision with a task makes a missionary."

I thought that was pretty powerful.

2012/6/6 21:21Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Thank you Jeremy,
I found it on sermonAudio.
There are 21 audios.

2012/6/7 1:26Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy