SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : nature of scriptures

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

nature of scriptures

How important is the jot or tittle of Scripture??

Did Jesus Have the same View of the inspiration of scripture as was common in his day??

I ask for this not to be a Westcott and Hort or Orgien disscussion but rather keep it scriptural

2012/6/5 20:08Profile
pilgrim777

Re: nature of scriptures

"For Verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in now wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Jesus Christ

Actually, Jesus had a better view of Scripture than was common in His day. He loved His Father's word.

Ezekiel 33:31-33

Pilgrim

2012/6/5 21:34Profile
proudpapa

Re: pilgrim777

Amen pilgrim777,

RE Pilgrim777 wrote "Actually, Jesus had a better view of Scripture than was common in His day. He loved His Father's word."

That is very true, But not well recognized today, there is a Used Christian book store in a City about 2 hours from my house every time I go there, I buy up all there books that I can afford on inspiration of scriptures to see what the different opinions are, I do not think that I have found one that matches exactly on how Jesus viewed the scriptures of His day. Probably the best book that I have found is by eta linnemann an ex student of Rudolf Bultmann.

Many of the books that I read say that Jesus just excepted the common belief of scripture that was held of his day. But I find the Bible says something completely different.

2012/6/5 23:20Profile

Re:

Rev 19:13 And He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood:
and His name is called The Word of God.

2012/6/7 1:47
lindi1208

Re: Nature of scriptures

Amen Pilgrim and Annie! Jesus's view of the scriptures was different in John 5 v 38- 39 Jesus said to the Pharisees "You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life."

Jesus is The Word of God. That is why we need to Spirit led and filled when we read the Word otherwise we will interpret it the wrong way if we attempt to do so without the Holy Spirit!

Again I am reminded 2 Cor 3 v 6 for" the letter killeth but the Spirit gives life". Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit therefore His view or take on scriptures was different to what was the norm. Most of the time after teaching men responded by saying His sayings are hard!

Blessings in Christ Jesus

2012/6/7 4:21Profile

Re:

Quote:
Did Jesus Have the same View of the inspiration of scripture as was common in his day??

Sorry to have given such a short answer earlier. I've been proof reading someone's transcription and making the needed corrections and figured you'd know what was meant by that one verse - but felt as I went offline for the day, that it wasn't enough.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 1:3 All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew Him not.

Psa 33:6 By the Word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

"GOD With us" - "The Word made flesh".

He spoke the entire Old Testament because He was and is The Word of GOD, so He was GOD's Word while in the flesh as well. He spoke The Words of GOD while in the flesh. He knew the Old Testament because He was [is] The Word of GOD and is now "and His Name is called The Word of GOD" and when He returns. He didn't and doesn't cease being Who He was from Eternity past. He always spoke The Word of GOD while in the flesh and knew all that was spoken by Himself before He came in the flesh, so what could His "view" be of His Own Words?

Did He ever cease being GOD? Or The Word of GOD, Himself?

How does GOD "view the inspiration of" His Own Word - looking at the verses above?

Blessings!

2012/6/7 4:45
Blayne

Re: nature of scriptures

Hi! ProudPapa
How important is the jot 'er title of Scripture?
Matt 5:18 and Luke 21:33 amply confirm the importance of every jot/title of Scripture. So, I'll leave well enough alone with that question.

But your additional question is a very intriguing and searching one. It deserves an answering. To paraphrase it: "How did Jesus view the inspiration of Scripture?".

For instance, compare verses 1Chron 21:14 with 2Sam 24:1. There is an apparent contraction between them. One states that it was God who commanded David to number the people of Israel while the other says it was Satan.

Look at the story of Abraham.
Some people would have us believe that our God is a god of multiple faces; a schizophrenic god, (if you will).

They correctly say that God placed in every man Creation Laws and a conscience to help him follow after them. Obviously, one of those Creation Laws was that murder was something exceedingly prohibited.

But now we have these same people claiming that God tempted Abraham to violate the very Creation Laws and conscience He had gifted him when He supposedly commanded Abraham to murder Issac.

Not only that, somehow they manage to square the contrariety against the Scripture saying: "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man", (James 1:13).

But then again they always have the fall-back position that these are mysteries and secrets reserved to God Himself. Our is merely the task of closing our eyes and walking into the unknown.

The Old Covenant had people testifying: "The secret things belong to the LORD our God". But we who live and have our being in the New Covenant, do not testify as this.

Those who love Jesus and serve Him faithfully have the blessed privilege of knowing that God “revealeth his secrets to his servants.” Jesus said that He would make Himself known to us as He would not unto the world.

Another thing worth asking too is what exactly do the terms "inspired" / "inspiration" mean? There are a lot of Christians who mistakenly think that the writers of the Bible experienced a trance of some sort and etched their narratives through extra-sensory automatic writing 'er something equivalent.

Some might be quick to answer saying, "The Lord works in mysterious ways". But my answer to them is the Scripture saying: "The Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God" and God's people have a share in this.

The Word of God is a creative force. It moves and echoes from out of eternity already passed and accomplishes in eternity now. It begins as a thought (inspiration) and when someone takes possession of it for himself, it immediately attaches to his inner-man and begins to create substance in and through that person.

So, how did Jesus regard the Scriptures? (and we should follow His example).
That can only be answered if you know exactly what the Word of God is ... it's origin and work.
It's jus' too long a story to tell here.
I would first have to empty people's heads and only then begin to re-fill them with new restorative thinking concerning the Word. God treats everyone the same; He remains entirely impartial about his people. It's not as if he loves you or me differently as individuals. So, I have every expectation that God will reveal Himself and accomplish His Word in everyone collectively and as individuals too.

=============================
nature of scriptures
by proudpapa on 2012/6/5 17:08:00
How important is the jot or tittle of Scripture??
I ask for this not to be a Westcott and Hort or Orgien disscussion but rather keep it scriptural
=============================

2012/6/7 8:17Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

God's will is God's Word and everything we need to know about how Jesus loved His Father's word more than His very own life we can find in the Scriptures.

Mark 14:36 - And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee, take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

The love for God's word is demonstrated when one's own comfort is at risk.

"Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required. Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O Lord, thou knowest. I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation." Psalm 40:6-9

Only one who loves and values every jot and tittle of God's words can speak these verses with conviction.

Pilgrim

2012/6/7 8:48Profile
proudpapa

great replies

Great Replies everyone, I have to go to work now and not much time to write, but I have to say a word about contridictions they used to scare me and at one point almost caused me to give up the faith and probably would have If God would have let go of me.
I have found now that I love contridictions they throw of the wise of the World into unbelief but for someone as ignorant as me they are a means by which I can hear God. Expecialy between the accounts in kings and chronicals there are so many contridictions it almost seems unreal, But I have found When I read them and at first they almost always seem impossable, My heart will begain to beat fast I think this is a contridiction, I try to reason it out any way that I can no answer comes. So many times I have found that When I just descide to believe it anyhow despite the seeming contridiction and erase my thinking often times an answer comes and often times It sheds great light on the scripture and tells another story in which great scholers are blinded to because of unbelief. I can not begain to tell what a faith builder that doing this becomes.
We must remeber the Carnal, rational,natural (sarx) mind is enmity with God.
God is not bound by our natural laws and understandings.

2012/6/7 9:32Profile
Blayne

Re: great replies

Hi! ProudPapa
Actually, I think some readers might misinterpret what I was trying to say.
I certainly don't believe that there are "contradictions" in the Bible. Absolutely not!
There are only seeming-to-be contradictions; things which might appear at first glance to be contradictory for some people; especially for those Christians just beginning their spiritual journey.
Keep Smiling!

================================
great replies
by proudpapa on 2012/6/7 6:32:49
================================

2012/6/7 9:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy