SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Beware of False Prophets Who Arrogantly Say “Thus says the Lord”

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Beware of False Prophets Who Arrogantly Say “Thus says the Lord”

In Jeremiah 23:5,6 we see Jeremiah prophesying about the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ who is called, here, ‘the Righteous Branch’ and ‘The Lord our righteousness.’

This title refers to the Lord as the One Who justifies us by imputing His righteousness to us. It is a new-covenant title - and Jeremiah prophesied quite a bit about the new covenant.

This chapter is also a wonderful chapter for all preachers to read, because there are many warnings given here for them to take heed of . False prophets are exposed and denounced here. They were false prophets because they did not take time to listen to what God was saying (Jeremiah 23:18). They were too lazy to stand before God and wait for His Word.

There are many false prophets moving around in Christendom today, who seek honour and money for themselves. They prophesy falsely about imaginary dreams they claim to have dreamt.

Jeremiah warned the people not to listen to false prophets. They invented their own messages and spoke to the people, saying “Thus says the Lord”. But the Lord had not spoken to them. There are numerous people carelessly using that phrase even today. It is very dangerous to get up and say, “Thus says the Lord”, when you are not sure whether God has really spoken. People who have no fear of God whatsoever use that phrase today and say whatever comes into their mind. This is dangerous and evil.

All such people should read this chapter and learn to fear God. God does speak, but he speaks through humble people like Paul who said, “I think I have the Spirit of God” (1 Cor. 7:40) – and not through people who arrogantly say, “Thus says the Lord”. Beware of such false prophets – for there are thousands of them in Christendom today.

God says that His word is like fire and a hammer (Jeremiah 23:29). Why are the words of so many preachers unable to break the hard hearts of people and set them on fire? It is because their words did not come from the Lord.

2012/6/1 15:18Profile

Re: Beware of False Prophets Who Arrogantly Say “Thus says the Lord”

Quote:
There are many false prophets moving around in Christendom today, who seek honour and money for themselves. They prophesy falsely about imaginary dreams they claim to have dreamt.

These imaginary dreams! Are they imagined? Or are they dreams of the imagination?

Are you saying that these imaginary dreams are actually lies. No dream at all. Just lies!

Or are they just dreams which are imagined to be real?

Similarly:

Are false prophets those who are prophets but speak from their own imagination? Being lazy!

Or are they false because they are in fact liars? And not prophets at all.

Is it the love of money which makes real prophets false?

Being thereby willing to say what every pleases men?

Or is it the love of honour which makes real prophets false?

Being always inclined to themselves?

Is it the gift of prophecy which makes for a prophet? Saying "thus says the Lord?"

Or is the Prophet the gift?

Never having to say, "thus says the Lord?"

What is a prophet?

What is false?

Andrew

2012/6/1 16:54
rbanks

Re:

There is some good in the OP except for one thing I feel to comment on and that is the quote of Paul. I would not have left out the word "also" because some might think that Paul was in doubt of having the Spirit of God. Paul was never in doubt of having the Spirit nor of his apostolic authority. He was only verifying his opinion about an issue on marriage where the Lord had not given him specific instructions. He wanted them to know his understanding that it would be good to abide after his judgment and then he said "and I think also that I have the Spirit of God" meaning to back up what I am saying. Paul was very humble but never in doubt about what the Lord did in his life nor his apostolic authority.

2012/6/1 17:20Profile
staff

Hi Greg,
I have mixed feeling about this.
If a preacher says "thus says the lord" or a "god told me"
it is ok once that God did "say" or did "tell" the preacher.It becomes wrong and false when preachers say thus says the lord and he has not.
Similarly with dreams if the dream is not from God or is a fabrication then it is false but if it is from God and is in line with the word then it will be beneficial and should be heard.
I have heard preachers say "God told me" in humility.
We wont eradicate falsehood by saying that you should not say "thus says the lord" or" god told me" or by saying be "careful" about dreams.
We know false prophets because they are arrogant not because they say "thus says the lord";we know false prophets because they make up dreams not because dreams are wrong,we know false prophets because what they predict dont come true;we know false prophets because what they say is not in line with sound doctrine.Should we get rid of prophesy no should we stop conveying godly dreams no should we stop teaching sound doctine no ,
Are their false prophets interested only in financial gain etc yes
yours staff

2012/6/1 17:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote:

"There are many false prophets moving around in Christendom today, who seek honour and money for themselves. They prophesy falsely about imaginary dreams they claim to have dreamt."

I read statements like this all the time.. a lot on this forum. Why not name names? Who are these "false prophets?" If names are never mentioned, how is a person to be on the lookout?

2012/6/1 19:29Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Oh yea, today they don't say "Thus saith the Lord", instead they say, "God told me". Same thing. I'm so tired of all the liars whom i've heard say "God told me" that if a REAL prophet ever does come along and say "God told me" i doubt i will believe him/her.

2012/6/1 19:51Profile
rbanks

Re:

I read statements like this all the time.. a lot on this forum. Why not name names? Who are these "false prophets?" If names are never mentioned, how is a person to be on the lookout?

TMK you just haven't been around that long because just about everybody from Finney to Billy Graham and most of the one's on TV have been named.

Edit: I apologize concerning Finney I believe it was that some said that he was not saved because some of his theology wasn't correct.

2012/6/1 19:51Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, unless God told you;you are lost. faith comes by hearing and hearing what God told you. or the personal word from God.jimp

2012/6/1 21:48Profile
Sree

This article is a warning for people to take the name of God serious. It is not saying that we should not use the phrase 'Thus says the Lord', but we should use it carefully. One cannot say anything he wishes and tell that God told me so. I have made the same mistake in past, I used to share in my Church and use this phrase so lightly, until I got a clear conviction that I need to be clareful in using it. It is not that what I shared is not from God. I do not share anything in my Church that is not true in my life and that has not helped fight temptations.

2012/6/1 22:22Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Revelation says that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. Knowing this, when listening to somebody prophesy, close your eyes and imagine: Is this what Jesus would say, if Jesus were standing here preaching? If not, then don't accept what you hear. And at the end of the day, if a great prophet should arise who seems to be preaching something that doesn't sound like gospel preaching, then don't accept it as prophetic. If it is prophetic, it will sound like something Jesus would preach. If it is prophetic, it will sound a lot like the gospel message itself.

2012/6/2 0:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy