Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A lesson in pride: alter your direction

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

A lesson in pride: alter your direction

[b]Alter Your Direction[/b]

A newly commissioned Navy captain took great pride in his first assignment to be in command of a battleship. One stormy night the captain saw a light moving steadily in their direction. He ordered the signalman to send the following message: "Change your course ten degrees to the south." The reply came back: "Change your course ten degrees to the north."
The captain was determined not to give way to another vessel, and so he sent a counter message. "Alter your direction ten degrees. I am the captain." The answer flashed back promptly: "Alter your direction. I am the lighthouse."
There are times when all of us have to identify with the captain; times when we allow self-will to set us off on a collision course.
"I have my rights," we say, determined to have our own way. But God, whose Word is like a lighthouse with a penetrating and unchangeable beacon, reveals a rocky shore ahead and finally we do as the captain surely did. We obey.
Our prayer for ourselves, and for the church should be as Jesus prayed, "Not my will, but Thine be done."

from [i]2000+ Bible Illustrations[/i]

2005/2/9 11:46Profile
moreofHim

Re: A lesson in pride: alter your direction

Ron,

I have read that one somewhere before. Not sure where, but it is so good. I have told my children this story to show them this lesson of "wanting it my way" or thinking "my way is always the right way".

In His love, Chanin

2005/2/9 12:23Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: A lesson in pride: alter your direction

"In the "light" of that illustration, Ron, I guess we could say we need to 'ALTAR' our direction.

2005/2/9 12:36Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy