SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : What do you think of this?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

What do you think of this?

Today in my local newspaper was post this announcement from a local church here. I've deleted the name of the town and church phone number but left everything else intact. Please tell me what to think about this. I kinda have my doubts that any actual worship will be going on in the midst of this but i could be wrong, who knows. Not sure what to think. I have nothing against polka music per se either. It can be quite cheerful and fun. But i've just never seen it as something in which worship can be conducted...but of course David danced before the Lord. What are your thoughts?

Mount Calvary Polka Service Announced
11:00 PM, May. 17, 2012

XXXXXXXXX -- A polka worship service will be 9:45 a.m. June 3 at Mount Calvary Lutheran Church, 503 Schmidt Ave., XXXXXXXX.

Gene Lettau and the II Edition Polka Band will lead the music for the service, and the public is invited. After the service, there will be a meal to raise funds for the Mount Calvary Youth Mission Fund.

For more information, call the church office at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

2012/5/18 13:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: What do you think of this?

It is just plain fact that "some" of the churches in North America are not churches at all anymore except by name. This is a sad reality and may God bring a refining so that only true churches will bear the name church.

2012/5/18 14:01Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

This is an entirely different subject, yet related to the way the churches are going.

I saw this sign outside a 'church' 'Marriage is about love, not gender'

2012/5/18 14:09Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

There is no wrong style of worship. If an individual enjoys worshiping through Polka, more power to them. Music is amoral. I don't like polka, but hey, someone out there does. I'm sure God loves it. :)

2012/5/18 14:23Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

And seriously...likening this to a church advocating gay marriage is pretty silly.

2012/5/18 14:24Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "There is no wrong style of worship."==FIREINMYBONES1

Actually that is NOT quite true, now that i think of it. The Lord gives clear instructions in His Word as to what instruments HE wants to be worshiped with. Since He is the one being worshiped, it certainly is His right to dictate the terms of worship. Certain instruments, such as drums, stimulate the flesh (which is why pagan cultures and warring tribes historically have always used them) which is why God does not want them used in worship.

To say there is no wrong style of worship leaves the door wide open for all kinds of deception and worldly practices. If there is "no wrong style of worship" then rock music would be acceptable, along with rolling on the floor, barking/howling like dogs (which is what some notorious Pentacostal nutcases have been known to do in the past...i'm thinking Brownsville or Pensacola?), sex in the pews, and so forth. I mean, God set the parameters and He set them for a reason, to avoid ungodly stuff like this.

2012/5/18 14:32Profile
TMK

NC, USA

From the polka band's website:

"The band now travels throughout Wisconsin playing mostly Polka Worship services. We thank the Lord for the opportunity He has given us, which we use to praise HIM
and to teach His love, to those who come to worship with us. If you happen to see the band circle and join hands prior to the service, we are thanking GOD for the beautiful day, even if it's 20 below, and pray that we are using the talents that He has provided, to the best of our ability, "by carrying on for those that have gone before us."

Do you really believe God is angry with them?

2012/5/18 15:16Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I think it is hilarious to have a polk band worship. I would like to hear that one once.

Why would God be angry with them? Does this fall out of bounds of 'tradition' and therefore some wonder if it is of God or not? I think another thing to go with this is that there is probably goign to be polka dancing going on as well. Polka can be a fun dance-sure would like to see what that looks like within a church.

2012/5/18 15:41Profile

Re:

Why is this even being discussed? Is this what SI has turned into? Sounds more like a witchhunt. None of us have been to that church... none of us have ever heard of the band before now... none of us have ever been to a polka worship service before...

I dont like polka music, but I find it telling that we're all sitting around playing arm-chair God... judging a church and a band and people who we dont even know.

Shameful.

I have a real problem with churches that emphasize entertainment... but we dont even know that that is what this is!

Krispy

2012/5/18 15:47
onemite

Re:

Amen, TMK.

We are called to test every spirit.
If a church is using gimmicks to bring people into church then it will seen in the the lack of Holy Fire in that church. Of course, we must make sure that we have no log in our own eye and be filled with the Holy Spirit ourselves so that we can rightly discern.

Also, we easily confuse the word "worship" with music.
May we all learn to worship the Lord in every thing we do.

We know that God winks as ignorance and He looks at the heart.

I don't know if He put limitations on instruments in the Old Covenant? Even if so, God has put no limitations on what kinds of instruments that we can use to praise Him with in the New Covenant. Remember, the Good News was sent not only to the Jews who knew the Law, but to the Gentiles, who knew nothing of it.. The guideline for all of our worship to God is the Spirit by which worship comes.

2012/5/18 15:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy