SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Spellings and Grammar

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Spellings and Grammar

I have noticed recently in a lot of postings the grammar is terrible. I realize that some know how to type but your ability to form words may be limited, so you type them as they sound, that is totally understandable.

But there are those that type so fast that your missing words or other letters are being added before you hit submit, perhaps going over what you've typed to check for spelling wouldn't go amiss. If your using Firefox, you can get the add on Spell Check which underlines a word that is misspelled and by right clicking on the mouse will give you a list of words that are similar to what your trying to use and will help with the spelling. I am constantly going over my posts to make sure the spelling is accurate and sometimes I miss one or two then I'll see it and make the necessary corrections. Spell Check is a word life saver.

Thanks

2012/5/18 10:42

Re: Spellings and Grammar

Quote:
If YOU'RE using Firefox, you can get the add on Spell Check which underlines a word that is misspelled and by right clicking on the mouse will give you a list of words that are similar to what YOU'RE trying to use and will help with the spelling.

Perhaps the your vs you're correction could be considered as well. :-)

You know you were asking for it. ;-)

Most of the time I just blame the autocorrect functions and super small keys on these phones.

OJ

2012/5/18 11:50

Re:

Quote:
Most of the time I just blame the autocorrect functions and super small keys on these phones.

Haha. Man, I've come up with some funky stuff from my phone when I haven't given it a thrice over before I hit "Submit".

2012/5/18 11:53

Re:

And I think mods want to remove the edit function. Should make for some funky post.

Bearnaster.

2012/5/18 12:05
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I also have been guilty at times in rushing a post and not ensuring the spelling was 100% correct or grammar. There is a built in spell checker with the new Mac OS X but I am not sure how well it preforms.

here is an interesting tool: http://respelt.com/

2012/5/18 12:06Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Let's keep in mind that for many members on SI English is not a primary language.

2012/5/18 12:52Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Approved, i think i know precisely the thread you might be thinking of...it was chock full of misspellings and such, and hard to decipher.

We all make typos every so often but when this sort of thing becomes too common or pronounced it can make us look to the outside world like a bunch of uneducated, brainless hicks. So it does not bring glory to God and yes it would be a good idea if we all mind our spelling.

2012/5/18 13:15Profile

Re: Correction Understood!

LOL, God love ya old Joe. I have my own mistakes too. I remember sometime ago someone pointed out to me the use of the words, "Then" and "Than", since pointing that out I've been extra careful to insert the correct letter, and thank you for pointing that out to me as well I do appreciate the correction.

2012/5/18 17:38
Jeremy221

Re: Spellings, Grammar and Humbleness

I think we need to be prudent here. I have held to this view and marveled at the wondrous power of God through poor uneducated people. I liken the difference here to something a good friend told me about the KJV versus the original manuscripts. In the New Testament manuscripts, the Greek used is much, much less refined than the translation we find in the King James. With the exception of Paul and perhaps Luke, the vessels in use wrote more coarsely. We would be wise to consider what is rising up in us.

2012/5/18 18:09Profile

I hope you're only bored and merely have nothing better to type about and that's why you started this thread, Approved.

I don't look for spelling nor grammar errors but I Do read what's in the heart of a poster and some of my favorite member's posts can have every word misspelled, with improper sentence structure ta-boot, and I still get tremendously blessed by every one of their words.

I hope this doesn't discourage one single soul from posting their 'heart' out here - Amen!

2012/5/18 21:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy