SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Support : Does Using the words like "sexy" make a christian look bad?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rubarb

Does Using the words like "sexy" make a christian look bad?

This is a very interesting question I have noticed my wife uses it quite often and it errks me to hear the word being used. Why? The reason is because when I hear the word sexy I think of it as fleshly appeal which make it seem like one ( a person)wants or would like have as a fleshly lust..

Please reply and let me know of what you think of using the "S word" as christens, and if there are other word we should disapprove of please let me know..

PS: I hope I posted in the right area?

2012/5/17 23:22Profile
EverestoSama

Re: Does Using the words like "sexy" make a christian look bad?

Honestly it all depends entirely on context and audience IMO. Does your wife know how you feel about this?

2012/5/18 1:39Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

To be very honest and clear with you brother we do not condone such speech on the forums. We believe such things are well below the standard of being a "holy people" set apart by God. "To the holy and faithful brothers in Christ at Colosse" (Colossians 1:2)

Here are a few more verses about when we are "in" Christ we are to be separate then the values and ways of the world.

"For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight." (Ephesians 1:4)

"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption." (Ephesians 4:30)

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people." (Ephesians 5:3)

"and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." (Ephesians 5:27)

"For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life." (1 Thessalonians 4:7)

"But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;" (1 Peter 1:15)

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." (James 3:9-12)

"and innocent about what is evil." (Romans 16:9)

The last verse really puts a theme through for me in scriptures that we are to not even want to know all the evil things that people do in secret. In another epistle we are told not even to think of those things or mention them because they are "shameful" but rather think on what is good. It is not wisdom to expose ourselves to all manners of evil just to know about them. Or to use the words the world uses in slang and use these terms as they are nothing.

Just for example the world uses "hell" as a swear word. To us as Christians it is a sobering deep and fearful word that we use it very carefully.

Also the world uses "Oh my god" as a swear word. This is blasmphasmy but sadly many Christians say "Oh my word" or "Oh my" very loosely copying this from the world. We must be more holy in our ways to be separate from society and its values.

I hope this does not come across harsh or judgemental I just feel it is important not to be "loose" about these things as Christians but to be biblical and careful of how we live in this earth before our Holy God.

I recommend this show series on the Holiness of God by A.W. Tozer in audio to listen to:

Christianity Has Lost The Holiness Of God - Tozer
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44863&forum=35

Bless you my friend.

2012/5/18 2:18Profile
rubarb

Re:

Thank you sermonindex for your inspiring references, and I will listen to Tozer's audio series on "The ho"liness of God"

Thank you!
:)

2012/5/18 19:05Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Yes, we must be careful with our speech.

2012/5/18 22:07Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re: Does Using the words like "sexy" make a christian look bad?

OP >>
This is a very interesting question I have noticed my wife uses it quite often and it errks me to hear the word being used. Why? The reason is because when I hear the word sexy I think of it as fleshly appeal which make it seem like one ( a person)wants or would like have as a fleshly lust..
<<

In general, I hear "Christian" men use this more often than women. In either case, it is a worldly or carnal term, since this type of discussion does not belong in public, nor is it respectful in most private conversation. It is the sign of a mind that is either not sanctified or that God has only just begun to work on. I would give direction to your wife, as the Scriptures say. Most women do not understand topics like this from a male perspective, so I would consider offering some instruction on how and why it is a carnal term and then direct to use language "on earth as it is in heaven".

2012/5/19 6:29Profile
rubarb

Re:

Upon listening to Tozers message..

I notice and have been holding onto some old world things around the home such as music tapes, CDs and movies, which i believe is one of Satan's greatest arsenals to keep a christian(s) from being closer to the God and Jesus Christ and having garbage around the house like this makes more work for the holy spirit to try and convince people like myself to put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts.
And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
EPH 4:22-24..

Since I see that the holy spirit was working through Paul telling me that I need to get rid of all things, that are of this world from out of my home and away from my children and wife, I will be doing clean sweep through the house this week-end..

2012/5/19 6:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy