Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Risk of High Expectations

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Makes ne wonder if our exoectatations of God are too small.

Recently a friend gave me a CD of a sermon she thought I should hear. I put it on in the car - just after uploading my post about being at the point of expecting only the unexpected. Lo and behold that’s exactly what the message was about! The preacher cautioned against limiting God to our expectations. Consider what it’s like to receive a gift: Of course you don’t expect it. We must learn to expect from God what “no eye has seen, no ear has heard” – in other words beyond what we are able to comprehend.

“Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” Jer. 33:3

“Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!” Rom. 11:33

Well….. that puts another spin on this theme of expectations. It throws it over the top – not merely high expectations, but something beyond. But, as for me, this requires the death of my own expectations - and they have been high indeed!

How’s this for a Bible study: The people in scripture who experienced something from God which they did not expect.

Diane

2012/5/17 21:53Profile
Compton

Re: Something from God which they did not expect.

Many times our concept for "vision" and "callings" have been shaped by stories of people deemed to be successful in some extraordinary way that excludes most of us. As a result, the topic of "vision" is implicitly discouraging or condemning to Christians who believe God is willing and able to do remarkable things, but feel themselves bound to very earthly and sensible duties.

This contradiction in our hearts can be crushing. As Diane has said, how can Christians, people who live by faith, not have a vision?

After-all, by God's design, we are creatures of consciousness in need of approval from the Lord. We find our meaning, indeed our life in One who is greater then ourselves. Such a posture orientated outwardly towards the Lord is the source of vision in even the mundane. Of course there are desert and valley seasons, but vision continues to persist in these seasons. Like a tree in winter it may appear dead for a while, but it remains there untill the spring returns, still growing and eventually producing fruit.

Still, what exactly is vision? And once we catch a glimpse of it...will it condemn us? Consider this question while looking at Amy Carmichael's life. Amy Carmichael was a woman willing to overcome any obstacle to be a missionary in late 19th century India. While there she became known as a woman who would travel long distances alone on foot just to save a single child. It is said she loved the Indian people so much she even dyed her light Irish skin using dark coffee! Were these activities and accomplishments her vision? Perhaps, but I think it was something much more inward.

One day in 1931, while visiting a new orphange contruction site she fell into a hole left uncovered by the workers. The resulting injury would take this energetic determined woman away from her mission, and leave her convalescing in bed for the rest of her life.

Soon after the fall a friend came to console her. Her friend suggested that perhaps the fall was God's way of slowing Amy down and giving her a chance to rest. The comment was designed to encourage, but Amy wrote that it deeply discouraged her. It implied that her vision was less meaningful to God then "taking it easy".

Yet it was during this season of profound discouragement that she came face to face with the source of her vision. She was no longer able to walk long distances to save a single child, but though her prayers she walked with the Lord, and through her pen, she traveled around the world. Her devotionals and poems rendered a portrait of the Lord with such a tender closeness and compelling reality that they continue today to awaken and impart vision in others. Through long seasons of lonliness and isolation, she gazed at the Lord, and told us about what she saw.

This is vision, and it infuses the circumstance that is before us with fire and purpose. Vision is not the work itself, but the inward conviction which transcends our outward circumstance. It not only gives courage to risk the highest of expectations, but also gives meaning and even glory for the most drudging of tasks. Indeed, regardless of circumstance, vocation, personality, and ability, vision from the Lord brings expectations. "...whatever you do, do for the glory of God."

Blessings,

MC

2012/5/17 22:36Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Amen!

2012/5/18 15:31Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I wanted to bump this; there are some new folks now in these here parts and there was some good discussion on this thread almost (gasp) 4 years ago.

Be encouraged, and where God is concerned, think big!

2016/2/18 15:34Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Todd,

Thanks for the bump, must've missed this the first time 'round but this is good stuff!

Def what the Lord has been opening my eyes too:)

2016/2/18 22:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy