Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Covenant of Circumcision

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Covenant of Circumcision

Acts 7:
8 Then He gave him the covenant of circumcision; and so Abraham begot Isaac and circumcised him on the eighth day; and Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot the twelve patriarchs.

Also

Rom. 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also,

Phil. 3:3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,

What does the Covenant of Circumcision signify in the life of the believer?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/8 11:07Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Covenant of Circumcision

What does it mean that Abraham received " received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised"

What seal is Paul speaking of?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/8 18:05Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
a seal of the righteousness of the faith

Phil. 3:9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

Is there any other means, spoken of in the totality of Scripture, that man can recieve the seal of righteousness?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/9 11:36Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I will try another approach.

Paul writes to the Phillipian church:

Phil. 1:9 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, 10 that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, 11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

Pauls prayer is that the believers are [b]filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ...[/b]

My question; is there any difference in the righteousness given to Abraham by the grace of God and the righteousness given to the believers in Philipi? I am not speaking to the positional aspects, but the relational aspects. Does Abraham know God like we know God? Is there any other name by which Abraham or I can know God?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/9 12:17Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Here is another thought:

Psa. 27:8 When You said, “Seek My face,”
My heart said to You, “Your face, LORD, I will seek.”

Which covenant enables David's heart to seek God, The Covenant of Circumcision or the Covenant of Mount Sinai?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/9 18:13Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Deut. 10:12 “And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 13 and to keep the commandments of the LORD and His statutes which I command you today for your good? 14 Indeed heaven and the highest heavens belong to the LORD your God, also the earth with all that is in it. 15 The LORD delighted only in your fathers, to love them; and He chose their descendants after them, you above all peoples, as it is this day. 16 [b]Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked no longer.[/b]

Here we see God command His people to circumcise the foreskin of there hearts. Would God command depraved man, a man who does not know the way, to obey without providing the necessary grace to fulfill His requirement?

For we know that the law given to Moses makes nothing perfect, but condemns those who do not believe. So what covenant provides for a regenerated heart?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/10 7:24Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

We see that God required man to have a circumcised heart. In this verse we see that God it the One who does the work.

Deut. 30:6 And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live.

What covenant does the covenant of circumcision belong too? The Abrahamic or the Covenant given on Mount Sinai?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/11 13:29Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

How did God circumcise the hearts of the Old Testament Saints?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/14 11:01Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Paul teaches in Romans 2:28; "For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; 29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God."

Does Scripture teach another way that God circumcises the hearts of men? Is there Scripture that teaches anything but what Paul teaches?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/15 10:52Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Hear what these Scriptures say?

Gal. 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

Col. 2:11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,

In these Scriptures we hear that it is by faith and not the outward acts of circumcising the foreskin. The circumcision that Scripture speaks of has to do with the changing of the inner man. It has to do with being sanctified. It has to do with being made holy. It has to do with learning to love as God loves us. It is only God who can give us this type of circumcision. What is the result of this circumcision? We become one with Christ. We begin to learn what Jesus desires for His brothers and sisters. We learn of His righteousness.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/17 11:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy