SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Proud vs. Broken (revisited)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

Proud vs. Broken (revisited)

I was going back over this again this weekend, just meditating on it- so i thought I would post it again :-)

What kind of heart does God revive? A broken and contrite one.

~PROUD~
~~~~~~~~

Focus on the failures of others; they have a critical fault-finding spirit. They look at everyone else's faults with a microscope, but their own with a telescope

Have to prove that they are right

Are protective of their time, their reputation, and their rights

Desire to be served and be a success

Have a drive to be recognized and appreciated; they get wounded when others are promoted

Quick to blame others for their problems; are unapproachable or defensive when criticized

Keep others at arms length; find it difficult to share their spiritual need with others

Have a hard time saying, "I was wrong, will you please forgive me?"

Concerned about the consequences of their sin

Compare themselves to others and think they are doing alright. Don't think they have anything to repent of

Self-concious

Don't think they need reviving, cleansing - but they're sure everyone else does!

~~~~~~~~
~BROKEN~
~~~~~~~~~

Are overwhelmed with a sense of their own spiritual need. Therefore, they can esteem all others better than themselves.

Are willing to yield the right to be right

Have yielded their rights; have a meek spirit, self-denying.

Desire to serve others and make others a success.

Are thrilled that God would use them at all, they rejoice when others are lifted up

Quick to see when they were wrong; they recieve criticism with a humble spirit

Willing to be open, transparent and get close to others

Quick to admit failure and seek forgiveness.

Grieved over the cause, the root of their sin.

Compare themselves to the holiness of God and feel a desperate need for His mercy

Not concerned with self at all

Continually sense their need for a fresh encounter with God

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our generation has been programmed to pursue happiness, wholeness, good feelings about ourselves, positive self-image, and affirmation. But God is not as interested in these ends as we are. He is more committed to making us holy than making us happy. And there is only one pathway to holiness, and that is the pathway of humility or brokenness.

"Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. Better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud." Prov.16:18

Brokenness does not mean, as some think, having a sad, gloomy, downcast countenance-never smiling or laughing. It is possible to shed buckets of tears, without ever experiencing a moment of brokenness.

Brokenness is not a feeling: it is a choice, an act of will.

Brokenness is a lifestyle of unconditional, absolute surrender of my will to the will of God - a heart attitude that says, "Yes, Lord!" to whatever God says.

Brokenness means the shattering of my self-will, so that the life and Spirit of the Lord may be released through me.

Brokenness is my response of humility and obedience to the conviction of the Word and Spirit of God. And as the conviction is continuous, so must the brokenness be continuous.

Finally, do the very thing you know God wants you to do, but your flesh is telling you not to do! Ultimately, brokenness is a matter of surrendering control of my life to God. The heart that has been emptied of itself and broken of it's willfulness and resistance, is the heart that will experience the filling and the reviving of our glorious, holy God, Who humbled Himself, that He might lift us up.

Proud/Broken by Nancy L. DeMoss Revive our Hearts ministry

2005/2/8 8:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Proud vs. Broken (revisited)

A classic Chanin. How much of the failings of Christianity and so much modern day teaching and our own selves could be attributed to just this? This whole business of, as Ravenhill put it "[i]because you stink with pride that's why[/i]"

Quote:
Finally, do the very thing you know God wants you to do, but your flesh is telling you not to do!

Found myself in Romans this morning and how many times have we wished for Bibles without number breaks, disrupting the flow...

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Romans

What struck me this morning was [i][b]the [u]law[/u] of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus[/i][/b]

2005/2/8 10:26Profile
moreofHim

Re: pride

Quote:
"because you stink with pride that's why"

man,o man

does this pride just not end? I mean, just when you think you have conquered some big area of pride and you start to get feel like you've gotten somewhere- bam! the Lord shows you another area that was hidden and you go crawling under a rock. "How could I be such an idiot!"

I can actually say that I am thankful for this. How much less would we need God if we were perfected or thought we were perfected already.

In Him, chanin

2005/2/8 10:46Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
What struck me this morning was the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus

I have been meditating and praising God over this passage recently myself. Thank God for this law of life that overcomes the law of sin and death. It can be compared to a bird that overcomes the law of gravity and flies. The law of gravity is always there, but the bird has a nature in it to fly, and so it overcomes that law. So, by the nature of Christ within, we also overcome things like pride that are always there in the flesh. By God's grace we have a new nature that soars over sin by the power of the Spirit of Life. What a great God we serve, he provides ALL! Oh for a greater revelation of this truth so that faith may have a firm foundation to stand upon and overcome!

In Christ,

Ron

2005/2/8 11:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy