SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are the "Gifts of Healings" for today??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

Are the "Gifts of Healings" for today??

Are the gifts of healings for today? It is a gift i really desire more than any other and have prayed for but have not received. I don't understand what good it does for me to have a heart of compassion and mercy when i am powerless to help any of the suffering people around me. There are so many people suffering so greatly. Such extreme suffering.
Has anyone here ever seen any evidence that this gift is still for today? And/or could it be that if a person has even an OUNCE of pride that God will not give them certain gifts because it would go to their head? Although if that is the case, what explains the preponderance of tongues, though it is the least of all the gifts? Thank you for your consideration and thoughtful comments on this matter.

2012/5/9 6:40Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Are the "Gifts of Healings" for today??

Trekker: In short, yes. All nine gifts of the Spirit listed in 1 Cor. are for today. I have seen most of the nine gifts in operation. There are a couple of truths about the gifts of the Spirit that I think it is important to note.

The gifts are given "severally as He wills". I do not believe that a gift of the spirit is anything at all like a "gifting" that a person has resident in his person. I may have a gift for music and can play music well. That gift is resident in me. I do not believe the gifts of the Spirit are the same. God may at some point us me in the gift of prophecy. That does not mean I am a prophet or that I can prophecy all of the time. I have been used in the gift of the word of knowledge. It was a blessing and strength to the person who I ministered to. But I do not walk around having "words of knowledge" all of the time for the gift is not resident in me. However the Holy Spirit is resident in me and He can use me in any of the gifts as He wills to minister to others.

The gifts are used out of the compassion and love of God. Of this I think you have an understanding. We are told to covet earnestly the best gifts, but then we are told immediately the proper motive behind that strong desire to be used in the gifts of the Spirit.

I personally believe that one must have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit before they are used in the gifts. The gifts are supernatural. They are not operations of our own mind, will, and emotions. It was the Acts 2 experience that filled the church with supernatural power. Before that time they had operated supernaturally as Jesus had empowered them to do so, but in a very limited manner. But when they had received power after that the Holy Ghost was come upon them they began to walk routinely in the gifts of the Spirit.

Hope that helps.

2012/5/9 7:13Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: Are the "Gifts of Healings" for today??

According to Hebrews Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever.

According to the 4 gospels, He healed ALL who came or were brought to Him. He was hindered by the UNBELIEF in one account where He only healed a few "sick folk".

We should base our belief system on the Word, not our experience.

Go for healing all the time every time and do not give up!\

Russell

2012/5/9 8:22Profile

Re:

Quote:
According to the 4 gospels, He healed ALL who came or were brought to Him. He was hindered by the UNBELIEF in one account where He only healed a few "sick folk".

Following this logic... should we then say that we should never be sick? How do you explain the fact that the death rate for humans is 100%... and is generally caused by some sort of illness or physical issue?

If someone has "enough faith" then they should be able to live forever, correct?

I'm not arguing that God doesnt heal, trust me. I know He does... but please explain how if He is always going to heal those who do not have any unbelief about it that ALL people will die, and eventually not be healed.

With enough faith Jesus will always heal... yet we all will die. Seems like a contradiction to me.

Why was Paul not healed after asking the Lord to deliver him three times? Did Paul not have enough faith?

Why do those who claim to have the "gift of healing" not go down to the childrens ward at the hospital and heal them all? Why do they stick to stadiums and a stage with a spotlight... why does it have to be a show?

If you have the gift of healing then do what Jesus did and go heal the sick. Go to the hospitals. Heal the children.

Krispy

2012/5/9 9:08

Re: Jrisoy

Why not inquire of the Lord and ask him?

Bearnaster.

2012/5/9 9:11

Re:

He's not the one making those claims, bearmaster.

The Biblical answer is that God does NOT always heal, and sometimes His not healing a person is according to His plan.

For instance: Paul

Paul had some sort of ailment. He prayed for the Lord to remove it three times. The Lord told him "My grace is sufficient for you." Paul conluded that the Lord's will for him was to endure that ailment because it was given to him to keep him humble and dependent on no one else (especially himself) but God.

It is not God's plan or purpose or desire to heal everyone who is sick. Thats very clear in the Bible. YES, He does heal... but only according to His will and purpose.

People make these claims... that God wants to heal every disease and illness (as long as we have enough faith, thats the escape hatch for when it doesnt happen!)... but they dont think through what they are saying. According to this way of thinking EVERYONE's faith fails eventually... generally in their 70's or 80's... or 90's.

What a bunch of weak Christians those elderly people are!

Krispy

2012/5/9 9:13

Re:

Looks like you answered your questions in your post there, Krispy.

Bearnaster.

2012/5/9 10:16

Re:

Thats because my questions were rhetorical...

Krispy

2012/5/9 10:20

Re:

You using big words in me, Krispy. Rhetorical? You got me.

Bearnaster.

2012/5/9 10:32

Re:

Rhetorical Question: a question asked solely to produce an effect or to make an assertion and not to elicit a reply.

Krispy

2012/5/9 10:49

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy