SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : One in seven thinks end of world is coming: poll

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 One in seven thinks end of world is coming: poll

Nearly 15 percent of people worldwide believe the world will end during their lifetime and 10 percent think the Mayan calendar could signify it will happen in 2012, according to a new poll.

The end of the Mayan calendar, which spans about 5,125 years, on December 21, 2012 has sparked interpretations and suggestions that it marks the end of the world.

"Whether they think it will come to an end through the hands of God, or a natural disaster or a political event, whatever the reason, one in seven thinks the end of the world is coming," said Keren Gottfried, research manager at Ipsos Global Public Affairs which conducted the poll for Reuters. ...

read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/01/us-mayancalendar-poll-idUSBRE8400XH20120501?

2012/5/5 0:04Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re: One in seven thinks end of world is coming: poll

I saw this on fb and it made perfect sense:
------------------------------------------------

WARNING: I’m about to burst your doomsday bubble for all you doomsdayers out there – There have been about 514 leap years since Caesar created it in 45 BC. Without the extra day every four years, today would be July 28, 2013.(Posted on my page April 19th, 2012)

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year.... so technically the world should have ended seven months ago!

------------------------------------------------

Whoever was smart enough to think of that... BRAVO!!!

Jesus is definitely coming in my lifetime... the day I die, He will come for me!

God bless,
Lisa

2012/5/5 5:51Profile
rbanks

Re:

Whoever was smart enough to think of that... BRAVO!!!

Jesus is definitely coming in my lifetime... the day I die, He will come for me!

God bless,
Lisa

Oh no Lisa, he is going to keep you here to go through "the great tribulation" because you are spirit filled and you can help the other brethren make it through. I was just being a little humorous sister, I do greatly appreciate you as a sister in Christ. Did you see where I revised the section "Welcome to our Church (assembly)"? I took some of your advice and really thank you for it.

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2012/5/5 7:04Profile

Re:

"Whoever was smart enough to think of that... BRAVO!!! "

I actually saw a follow-up that shows this is not true, the mayan calendar operates independant of the leap year system and the cycle date still ends in Dec 2012. Not that I care one bit other than its pretty cool from an mathematical perspective.

In Chrsit -Jim

2012/5/5 8:42
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

My opinion which doesn't count for anything, is that the Mayan calender holds some weight IF say by chance, which I think is plausible that the gods of that age (speaking in reference to the children of angels who left their place and took women for themselves and had children) had enough knowledge to anticipate the end for them, or the end of this age.

Matthew 8:29
"And they cried out, saying, "What business do we have with each other, Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?""

As we can see they have an appointed time and they knew it wasn't that time yet!

2012/5/5 9:15Profile

Re:

Did not Jesus say no one knows the hour or day (and by implication year) of his return. Isn't this what got H. Camping in trouble?

I think the signs as laid out in the gospels are lining up that will point to the soon return of Jesus. But we must watch and be about the King's business as we wait on him. His business is the salvation of souls.

Bearmaster.

2012/5/5 9:18
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

Quote:
by bearmaster on 2012/5/5 5:18:35

Did not Jesus say no one knows the hour or day (and by implication year) of his return. Isn't this what got H. Camping in trouble?

I think the signs as laid out in the gospels are lining up that will point to the soon return of Jesus. But we must watch and be about the King's business as we wait on him. His business is the salvation of souls.

Bearmaster.

Yes, very good point, we should be about His business however He made it clear we are to be aware of the time. So while noone knows the day or the hour that leaves out week, month, year etc :P The demon who spoke to Jesus, asking if He had come to torment early knew of a particular time.

2012/5/5 10:49Profile

Re:

Perhaps the demon tormented by Jesus knew of a particular time they would be cast into hell. But I don't think the Mayan calendar was in view. Jesus warned of those who would say the time is near. The Mayan calendar is one such deception. We do better to stay in the truth of the New Testament. Jesus laid out clear signs of what would be his return in Mat.24, Mk.13, and Lk.21.

Bearmaster.

2012/5/5 11:01

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy