SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Catholic Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
wallrepairer

Catholic Revival

I am a new visitor to this website and love the access we have to the amazing speakers recorded here. I live in a town in England that has never experienced a move of God. A small number of people from across a range of denominations are getting together to seek God earnestly and to cry out for mercy. We have all read and reread many accounts of revivals across the world and throughout history. The Catholics among us are unaware of any revival among their faith grouping. Does anyone know of any? In times of revival ie Welsh revival, the people say that all the churches were filled. Did that include the Catholic ones? I would be grateful for any insight that may be on offer.

2005/2/7 16:00Profile

Re: Catholic Revival

I have lots of knowledge in the field of which you are asking since I have researched this field while working on my book. Every church was filled.....during the revival....that included the Catholic churches.....God seem to have no respect of persons during the revival times and seem to be putting out a sign.....he is the God of everyone and spliting hairs like we Gentiles do is not what God does nor did the Jews do .... the Jews had difference of opinions but they all got together in the same place to worship God. They at least were able to do more than us Gentiles seem to be able to do. But the important long term thing is ...... NONE of us, Jews nor Gentiles will be able to brag and have the sin of Pride when we get to Heaven....neither one of us will get it right until Jesus comes to reign.
There were a lot of revivals in the Catholic churches during the centuries....and there were a lot of white robes being worn during the centuries....God has been faithful through it all. All of us are indebted one way or another to people in history that God moved on during one revival or another....take for instance the move that caused John of the Cross and Teresa Avila, Archbishop Fenelon and Madame Guyon .... though written history does not provide us much ... it does show God's tender mercies and does show us his moving and the results from them.

God is our God....Not the Methodist God....not the Catholic God.....not any One's God.....he is OUR God. Every church of his has some wearing white robes in them....you will see this mentioned in I think it's in Revelations. And for those that want to think like Elijah did at the drying up river bed ..... God has his chosen....and usually the closest are hidden for him alone.

Research Revival movements....a good source is J. Edwin Orr ..... and follow the proven things needed and then get a Mustard seed for all including yourself to see....then pray daily and grab for God's ankles and beg with everything in you and more......then have faith....and keep repenting and praising as needed......lost souls need everyone of us to help out....otherwise the river of destruction will keep moving them into hell at a fast pace.....your loved ones and mine.

You will notice that the Revival historical data says that ALL the churches were filled....it did not exclude any to the best of my knowledge and it even states that during some revivals all the churches and public buildings were full!!!! Praise God!
PJ

2005/2/12 6:09
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
prayer4am writes:
There were a lot of revivals in the Catholic churches during the centuries...

I'm not sure that this true. There have been lots of revivals in spite of the Catholic Church's persecution; the Waldensians would be a classic case. Revivals usually have some aspect of reformation and the Catholic hierarchy usually prefers to control these things from the centre.

I am not meaning to be unkind or contentious, but the classical revival of consciousness of God and personal sin is, I think, unlikely in a true Catholic context. The confessional and absolution may serve as a safety valve and broken-heartedness for sin is not part of this tradition. They have all their remedies within their organisation and that makes personal dependence upon God more difficult to develop. Classical revivals have also usually been associated with the preaching of the scriptures and extempore group prayer; again these would not usually be part of Catholic tradition.

I won't get drawn into St John of the Cross, Fenelon and Guyan. I have done that often enough on this site!
just my thoughts

what part of England are you in?

2005/2/12 15:34Profile
wallrepairer

Re: Catholic Revival

Thanks for your replies. Isn't it interesting that no recent revival accounts make any mention of the Catholic faith specifically.

You asked about my location. We are based in Teesside, in the North East of England. We have high levels of deprivation, high unemployment, high teen pregnancy numbers, high drug dependency etc etc. I could go on but we all know what England is like.

If you like to pray, we welcome your prayers. The churches are coming together between 10-4 on Saturday 19th February to pray for our town and ask God what he wants from us and to listen to his plans and heart. The spiritual climate here is tough, no great watchmen, no great desire for revival. The walls are down, the gates are burning....
- Pray for a breakthrough
- Pray for spontaneous repentance
- Pray for a hunger for revival
- Pray for God to meet with us
We are so not ready for revival. We are just at the beginning. We need to be prepared to wrestle with God for the long haul until he showers his blessings. There are promises for our region that have not been followed up. O that we would remind God of his promises day and night and not let go until he fulfils his promises. Is 62 & Neh 1 are the scriptures we need to see through. If God gives you anything whilst you are praying be sure to let us know. Thanks

2005/2/17 16:07Profile

Why is the Non Catholic Sects so dead in Kenya?

This is NOT written to anyone one person....it is in general and thoughts for anyone who cares to read it...so don't think I wrote it to you or whoever....it's just thoughts and praises!

What is really interesting is that neither the Catholic nor the non-Catholic can seem to love one another and come together in the same building to worship the same God.....but I guess we surely do Not have the same thoughts the Jews did and do....differences of opinion....ok...heated discussion on it...ok...and still come together under the same roof and worship God.

The Gentiles on the other hand can Not even do that. We are a wild bunch of animals that think our Sect is so much better than another Sect. Wonder what God thinks of it all? Well I thank God that when those that make it to Heaven will Not be able to brag....cause so far....the Jews got a lot wrong in their thoughts, beliefs, predictions, interpretation of scriptures...etc... AND the gentiles are as screwed up ....we helped kill Christ with the Jews, we got and get a lot wrong in the thought, beliefs, predictions, interpretation of scriptures...etc... Guess there won't be any formation of devils in heaven since there will be no pride once we see how stupid all of us were.

I make a point to visit annually the Jews (Friday night services), Catholics (Saturday night Mass) and non-Catholics (Sunday & Wednesday services) and try to understand their needs and who they are....find out how to pray for them. For each one of us are a Gift from God...and created for the same purpose. Isn't it amazing how much God does and we don't even hear about it!!! ***Now before you try to look past the thing in your eye at me with a pointed finger....I go to church probably more than most people do every week!!! And no....I won't let you pin me down to my exact church I attend (depending on what day it is)....if you see me there then you are to know that information.

You know what is really amazing!!!??? You know in the New Testament Jesus said to take up your cross and deny yourself.... It's amazing that the biggest person we heard about for years was a Catholic....Mother Teresa.....think she made it into heaven? Well if you don't think she did....what hope is there for you or I?

God is so smart!!!!! You probably have not heard much concerning the Catholic sect because you do not have your ear a tuned to that station. But I bet you that in Kenya....they wonder why the Non-Catholic sects that are not involved there...why they are so dead and God does not do much for through them.....too funny....God is so good!!!
PJ

2005/2/17 16:51
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

It's amazing that the biggest person we heard about for years was a Catholic....Mother Teresa.....think she made it into heaven?

Well was she born again? Thats what Jesus said must happen.

Quote:

Well if you don't think she did....what hope is there for you or I?

Why do you say that? Certainly the evidence of her devotion may prove that she was a true disciple of the Lord, but that doesn't mean that I am no less a disciple because I don't do that.

2005/2/17 16:59Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: Why is the Non Catholic Sects so dead in Kenya?

Hi prayer4am,

Quote:
What is really interesting is that neither the Catholic nor the non-Catholic can seem to love one another and come together in the same building to worship the same God.....but I guess we surely do Not have the same thoughts the Jews did and do....differences of opinion....ok...heated discussion on it...ok...and still come together under the same roof and worship God.

The point is not that I don't love Catholics, I do. It's one of doctrine and worship. Yes we name the same names but in all practicality Catholicism and Protestantism are two different religions, not two different denominations of the same religion. And I would disagree with you that we worship the same God as modern rabinical Judiaism. They rejected and deny that Jesus is God come in the flesh. They are still waiting for a Messiah of their own making. My love for Israel is that of Paul's, that they are beloved for the father's sakes and that one day their eyes will be opened when Jesus steps onto the Mt. of Olives. So please don't take this statement as though I'm a replacement theologist.

Quote:
It's amazing that the biggest person we heard about for years was a Catholic....Mother Teresa.....think she made it into heaven? Well if you don't think she did....what hope is there for you or I?

I'm not the judge of any person, but though her life showed that, on a human standard, she was extremely good, if she died with her beliefs that she held then I would doubt her confession of faith. She was just as comfortable in a buddhist shrine as she was in a convent. She also believed and taught that all religions led to God and that there were many paths. Jesus, on the other hand, said that He was the only way to the Father and that there was no other way. I have no personal ill will toward the life Mother Teresa led, but I must deal honestly with what scripture says and not look at the outer appearances. Yes she did MANY wonderful things on a human level, but in the end it won't be what you did, but who do you know.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2005/2/17 17:08Profile

Re: You quote in ignorance

Your understanding of the teachings of Mother Teresa is one of the surface. If you had taken the time to read and listen (with your heart being in the mood of Love) to Mother Teresa, you would of understood that she was refering in a Mystic way when she refers to "many ways to God." Never would she agree that you can reach Heaven without accepting Jesus in your heart. And do Not let the word "Mystic" scare you...it's definition is..."Of or relating to religious mysteries, Inspiring a sense of mystery and wonder". Most of your writers in the Bible would of been classified a Mystic.

I love your belief that "Catholicism and Protestantism are two different religions". This proves my point in the previous post; wild beasts...no better and no worse than any other group. They can't even love one another and go and worship with one another freely. It's amazing .... I once saw in Virginia 4 churches at an intersection....all Protestant churches. I attended one and discussed with the Pastor about the amazement I saw. During our conversation he said that he has had lunch with a couple of the ministers a few times...but that was all the 4 churches do with one another. Where is the love? The outside world looks at the Protestants as though they are strange...can't even join together and worship God.

And I love how others jump to conclusions ....what...is there not Jews that worship on Friday night that follow after Jesus just like you and I? Protestants are a unique sheep (so it would appear; though they are the same as the Catholic and Jews in many ways).....they have to feel special as a Sect and will cut throats (in a manner of speaking) to feel this way. Yet, how many Protestants will actually spend most of their time with God in prayer and/or conversations? How many really want to? If they actually do...they would be classified as a "Mystic". Another way to heaven then the average person who for years will just use the feather duster and dust off the top of the bible sitting out for the Minister to see if he should stop over....then hopefully God's dealings will bring this person to a personal walk with God before he/she drops dead. There is the Missionaries, the average working class Christian, the Christian Mother who raises her children, the person who wanders the world with no home because the world is not worthy of them (you can read of these mystics in the bible), MANY ways to heaven.....hmmmm

And yes....before you think otherwise....I have more deeper Protestants roots than most people....my grandmother comes in the line of Jonathan Edwards, my grandfather's line comes from Protestant beliefs and fled French in the 1600's to America because of it, my grandfather's line also was one of the founders of a Protestants Sect and I have Ministers in my direct line. Yes, I have lived and listened for many years to the Protestants way of thought. I have also taken the time to listen to the Non-Protestants thoughts....both Jews and Catholic. It's amazing how we all think alike and how we differ.

No wonder God finds us so amazing to be involved with!!! And by the way....though we all have our faults....i strongly love my brothers and sisters in the Protestant faith....and let this grind you...and I love my Messiah Jews and Catholics as much....and that ain't no lip service!!! How's that for a Protestant!?! And before someone miss quotes me ..... I pray for the non-Messiah Jews everyday....for I love them dearly and I work with Jews, Catholics and Protestants all day long.

And yes...i think Us Protestants are like wild beasts and I am glad we are....for at least when the prideful Protestants think they are getting to heaven....they won't....cause pride is a sin. God knows what he is doing.....we will be amazed when we get there and realize just how we got so much wrong just like Everyone else....and no one will be able to acquire the sin of Pride ... we will all be humbled. Praise God!

I have to say I just love these 2 posts I read! You never fail me! God love ya! Nothing ever changes and God's love never fails. With age comes wisdom.
PJ

2005/2/18 6:49
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Hi prayer4am

I am quite convinced at what I heard. She said that a muslim's way to God was through Islam, and buddhist's through buddha, she even worshiped in buddhist shrines. She said that all religions are beautiful. By the context of what she said it was plain that she thought of all religions as equal. This isn't mysticism, it's pantheism.

My quote about Judiaism shouldn't be taken out of context. In no way do I refer to Messianic Jews or those who have believed in Jesus Christ. I'm refering to Rabinical Judiaism that is still trying to be made perfect by keeping the law. That form has rejected God and His Christ.

You're still not getting my point about Catholicism. It's [b]NOT[/b] a lack of love that seperates me from that religion as though if I just had enough love in my heart I would be united with them, that's not the case. [i]It's a clear and distinct difference of doctrine.[/i] To be united with Catholicism would mean the devaluing of all that I believe according to the scriptures. Catholicism and Protestantism have the same names for many of their doctrines but they give them [i]radically[/i] different meanings. And in doing so makes them different religions. Yes I believe there are many in Catholicism who have been saved, but it's been at the cost of their religion. It wasn't because they were baptized as children or prayed to saint Christopher or looked to the Virgin Mary, but because they came to realize that it's through Christ and Christ alone that they are saved, NOT Christ AND the Church AND the Virgin Mary, but Christ Alone.

Please don't take my rhetoric as being angry, it's just something I'm passionate about.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2005/2/18 10:57Profile

Re:

Could you show me something in print concerning Mother Teresa? I would be most interested in your statements and proof if possible. For I do not know of anything you have said to be true so it would be nice to have proof on it.
Thanks
PJ

2005/2/18 11:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy