SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Someone is Wrong on the Internet

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

This was excellent.

2012/5/2 10:42Profile

Re:

Thanks for posting this.

2012/5/2 11:13
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Someone is Wrong on the Internet

Great article! It reminds me of that little comic that circulated the web a few years ago:

http://i47.tinypic.com/30ndbuc.png

I think that many of us have had the experience where we had to take a couple of steps back from sharing on the Internet. After all, if we aren't careful, "proving a point" can become as important to us as our responsibilities to our families.

I know one brother who literally "unplugged" his home from the internet because he had meandered to the point of seeing debates on internet discussion boards as a "ministry." He came to the conclusion that it was nothing more than a "ministry of futility." He said that it had become as much of an idol (perhaps an "idle" idol?) as other things -- like sports -- that he had given up because he had been given over to such things. His solution was to simply "unplug."

Sometimes, it might take a few steps back to collect ourselves and refocus on the Lord instead of the things that we do (or think that we do) for Him.

Thanks for posting this timely reminder!

2012/5/2 12:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Wake up, Steve! Mike has been a mod for quite a while...mind if I ask where have you been? :-)

2012/5/2 12:17Profile

Quote:
We head over to our favorite guru’s blog to get the straight skinny on just what the respectable ones are saying about this issue or that.

(From Ligonier Ministries and R.C. Sproul. © Tabletalk magazine. Website: www.ligonier.org/tabletalk. Email: [email protected]. Toll free: 1-800-435-4343)

Funny to be in the ministry that he's in and say something like that via the internet.
Who do we turn to on the internet? Who's teaching? Which guru?
Heads of ministries with names or titles - that are always contending for their view of "the faith" through radio, snail-mail newletters, literature, books and internet 'are' seen as gurus that people turn to for answers - rather than The Word alone.

Quote:
There are true, important, eternity- in-the-balance controversies going on all around us. There are fights we are called not merely to egg on from the sidelines but to join. The calculus for the importance of any particular battle, in terms of its lasting impact on the great war between the seed of the woman and the seed of the Serpent, is simple enough. First, we need to know how large is the teaching ministry of the principals involved in the battle. We need to know how many unique visits this guy’s website gets. We need to know how many people recognize his name. The higher those numbers, the less important the battle.

?

Amazing how someone can intersperse truths, sandwiched between the questionable, from paragraph to paragraph and make the whole of it sound completely right.
But dare we question that?

{eta}Oops, forgot to leave a smile at the end of this. :)

2012/5/2 12:27
MaryJane

Re:

There were a few lines that really struck me from this article and have just been on my heart and mind sense I read it.
"Our choices, our behaviors, are rarely as discreet as we think they are. Not only do our decisions bleed into our other decisions, they touch on other people’s lives, more often than not. No man is an island; neither is any man a peninsula."

I think this is on my heart so much because of the very real and deep truth in those few words. What we do, say and live really does matter and it does have such a huge impact on others. All the more reason to be in prayer, to guard my thoughts, and tongue to be careful that the actions that I take are not ones filled with self but rather are walked out by HIS direction. JESUS did what the FATHER instructed HIM to be doing. HE is my example so I have to ask myself, is what i am doing what the FATHER would have me be doing...am I following that example? If not what possible excuse could there be for me not too...

God Bless
maryjane

2012/5/2 15:51Profile

Re:

Jesus-is-God... the ministry he is in?? You may wish to educated yourself with the Sprouls and Ligonier before you say things like that. They are a teaching ministry. They teach, thats what they do.

No different in that respect than any of the teachers that are readily available here on SI.

And it was a fantastic article.

Krispy

2012/5/2 17:00
givensdj

Wow, wonderful article.

2012/5/2 17:47Profile

Re:

Hi Krispy. I'm very well aware of Ligonier Ministries and R.C. Sproul and all that they teach. That's why I quoted what I did. It could have been any other 'respectable' man and I would have had those same 2 quotes pop out at me.

2012/5/2 20:34
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I find this article troubling, very troubling. And I suppose I will risk my head for saying so.

What troubles me? R.C.Sproul makes excellent points about debating, etc...

But...

What troubles me is his reference to Martin Luther as a great man. True, he seemed to spearhead the Reformation but he was one who was instrumental in the persecuting/killing of the Anabaptists. Is God so partial he will allow unrepentant folks into heaven because they were great theologians? Perhaps God will also allow present day unrepentant abortionists into heaven because they are great men in their community - people who are active in civic affairs, give handsomely to their church...Hey, these guys exist and not live all that far from me (or at least he used to). Do you understand what I am saying?

Does Jesus have anything to say about honoring people who do not teach according to his WORD? Matthew 5:19.

I am troubled and as such, I cannot take this article as seriously as others do on here. Sorry....

Krispy, my reluctance to appreciate this article has nothing to do with you as a person, please understand that.

Now, I will refuse to debate my position. Just remember this article troubles me because there is a lot of good but the questionable spoils the rest for me.

Blessings.

2012/5/2 23:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy