SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Here's a conversation I had with a "Christian" regarding Blasphemy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Here's a conversation I had with a "Christian" regarding Blasphemy

Devout Christian: - "After reading your article on the 3rd Commandment on your blog, I have this question"

Is it not a bit ridiculous that if someone, say, stubs their toe and mutters “Christ” or really shocked and says “Oh God”, they will be punished? Doesn’t that make God sound very petty? Punishing people for harmless actions?

THIS IS FROM A "DEVOUT CHRISTIAN"

Here was my response -

Well my friend, The lost may argue that they don’t consider casually saying “God”, “Christ” to be blasphemy. In fact, the phrase “omigod” is so embedded in the vocabulary of youth today that it is shortened to “OMG” for ease in text messaging. It is just a meaningless word to them. In other words, they don’t esteem the name of God. The Hebrew word used for “vain” means nothingness, emptiness, vanity. According to John F. Walvoord, to misuse God’s name means literally, “to lift it up to or attach to emptiness.” The Third Commandment forbids using God’s name flippantly or in profanity. So using the Lord’s name lightly or without thinking is the very essence of taking it “in vain” So if you think attaching God’s name to nothingness and emptiness is harmless then I would suggest that you really examine your relationship with God. I will keep you in my prayers.

His question and obvious believe that it is Harmless to take God's name in vain ---IS THE VERY ESSENCE OF WHY I AM EMBARRASSED TO BE PART OF TODAY'S CHURCH.....Those feelings from a self proclaimed "Christian" ARE WHY I KNOW TODAY'S CHURCH ISN'T PRECIOUS IN GOD's SIGHT BUT AN EMBARRASSMENT TO HIM WHO IS HOLY AND JUST.

2012/4/29 13:00
DoUPray2

Re: Here's a conversation I had with a "Christian" regarding Blasphemy

how do you know this person is a "devout Christian?"

from your blog, i read his response and followed him to his blog (which you could have done too) and saw nothing Christian at all about his blog. from looking at all the websites that he cites, i think he is agnostic or atheist (i.e. evil-bible.com and infidels.org). so no embarassment necessary!

PS: He would probably be very offended that you called him devout.

2012/4/29 13:33Profile

Re:

My friend... why do you think I said what I said.. God shows NO partiality ... so there is NO difference between this self proclaimed individual and the "Christian" that sits in a lifeboat singing Hymns to God while sinners are drowning in the icy waters of this world.

2012/4/29 13:35
DEADn

Lakeland FL

I have had some who said they were christians tell me that sometimes you just have to cuss in orde to get a point across. In natural it would seem that sometimes the agreement would be there but that means using earthly weapons to fight a spiritual warfare.

2012/4/29 14:33Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

While reading this it is obvious we are all in a mess truely. God and Lord are not the names of God and in fact many use god and lord to refer to false gods.

I agree though that noone has a fear for God anymore, most don't know His name. Can't really attack His name if you don't know it though, but the wickedness of the heart seems to be at it's peak. If the name of God where to be used more by the people who claim to love Him then it would be blasphemed.

You think God is embarrassed? Shame on you friend, I know His heart is broken because we have been lead astray and don't even know it.

2012/4/29 15:23Profile

Re:

"While reading this it is obvious we are all in a mess truely. God and Lord are not the names of God and in fact many use god and lord to refer to false gods."

What name should we use then?

2012/4/29 15:31
rbanks

Re:

I am with you Jim, because He is my Lord and my God.

I can't help what others do but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

2012/4/29 15:38Profile

Re:

No my friend, I don't think God is embarrassed that's not what I said ... I stated that "IT is an embarrassment to a Holy and Just God."

2012/4/29 15:55
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Typically these questions are leading towards some design in setting forth a name prequalified as being worthy of being used towards God; i.e. Jehovah, Yahweh, YHWH, Yeshua, etc. We have this passages in Hebrews 1:1

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, (Heb. 1:1)

Here God is English for the Greek Theos (Θεὸν). It is used about 1300 times in the NT and some 3000 times in the LXX (Greek Old Testament).

In Exodus 20:3 the LXX uses theos (theoi). Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Theos is translated from the Hebrew word elohiym (אלהים). The iym denotes plural. This is a general name for God or gods from 'el' ( אַיִל (Strongs H352).

When we come to the prohibition of using God's name in vain we have the specific name YHWH (Tetragrammaton):

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD (YHWH) thy God (Elohyim) in vain; for the LORD (YHWH) will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

In the KJV all caps for LORD in the OT is the Tetragrammaton (YHWH). You will notice no vowels. Because it is not known how to pronounce this word and in an attempt to reverence the name the word 'Hashem' (shem) is often used by Jews in place of YHWH.

So the use of the word God is simply a translation of Theos and Elohyim respectively. To believers there is but one God so we associate the name God with the one true God. We associate the name God as identifying the Creator.

For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is 'one God' (εἷς Θεὸς), the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live. (1 Cor 8:5, 6 emph. added)

2012/4/29 16:14Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

The commandment is do not take the NAME of the Lord in vain. Yes, He is our Lord and our God, but that isn't His name.

Also, what if it is refering to saying you are taking His name in refrence to saying you are His child but you actually are not? Example would be saying you are a Christian when in fact you have never been.

2012/4/29 16:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy