SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : ‘Doctor’ or ‘Brother’ -A.W. Pink

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

‘Doctor’ or ‘Brother’ -A.W. Pink

‘Doctor’ or ‘Brother’

What strange methods God sometimes employs in teaching His Children much needed lessons! This has recently been the writer’s experience. I have been approached by a “university” to accept from them a degree of “D. D.” Asking for time to be given so that I might prayerfully seek from God, through His written word, a knowledge of His will, fuller light came than was expected. I had very serious doubt’s as to the permissibility of one of God’s servants accepting a title of fleshly honor. I now perceive that it is wrong for me to receive it even complimentary. Various friends, as a mark of respect, have addressed me as “Dr. Pink.” I now ask them to please CEASE from doing so. Let it not be understood that I hereby condemn other men for what they allow. No, to their own Master they stand or fall. The principal passages which have helped me I now mention, praying that it may please God to also bless them to others.

FIRST, to the false comforters of Job, Elihu (God’s representative) said. “Let me not, I pray you, accept any man’s person, neither let me give FLATTERING TITLES unto men” (Job 32:31). SECOND, “Be NOT ye called Rabbi” or teacher” (Matthew 23:8), which is what “Doctor” signifies. THIRD, John 5:44 reproves those who “receive honor one of another” and bids us seek “the honor that cometh from God ONLY.” FOURTH, none of the Lord’s servants in the New Testament ever employed a title. “Paul, an apostle, “but never “the apostle Paul.” FIFTH, the Son of God “made Himself of no reputation” (Phil. 2:7); is it then fitting that His servants should now follow an opposite course? SIXTH, Christ bids us learn of Him who was “meek and lowly” (Matthew 11:29). SEVENTH, one of the marks of the apostasy as “having men’s persons in admiration because of advantage” (Jude 17). EIGHTH, we are bidden to go forth unto Christ outside the camp “bearing His reproach” (Heb. 13:13).

For these reasons it does not seem to me to be fitting that one who is here as a representative and witness for a “despised and rejected” Christ should be honored and flattered of men. Please address me as “BROTHER PINK”

2012/4/29 10:28
pilgrim777

Re: ‘Doctor’ or ‘Brother’ -A.W. Pink

I missed this brother Jim.

Good to see brothers refusing the honor of men. Who you fear you seek to please and eventually become.

Pilgrim

2012/5/2 10:37Profile

Re:

Wow... nice to know someone here other me reads AW Pink!

His book "The Sovereignty of God" (published in 1918) is incredible.

Krispy

2012/5/2 10:49
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Indeed, Pink can be tremendous. I've read several of his books, including "Sovereignity of God", which can be a life-altering experience. He was definitely a modern-day Puritan; a kind of 20th century John Owen. I've been a long-time proponent of his writings, as he can be hated in some circles the same way Charles Finney can be in others. Very sad, considering how God used both of these brothers in magnificent ways. Both were extremely eloquent and outspokenly aggressive against the kingdom of darkness and apostate Christiandom - though both men were polar opposites, theologically. Two soldiers marching beneath the same banner - though in different infantry divisions - trained by God to rally and anihilate the common foe.

It's good to see Pink getting some space in the forums. There's some convictions Pink had that I would caution some believers on, but on the whole he is a wonderful source of edification and his ministry offers real meat.

2012/5/2 12:35Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi Paul,

I know about some of the cautionary convictions but he has a lot of other good things to offer.

Is there much about Pink or Finney on SI? No need, I can search.

All the best,
Pilgrim

2012/5/2 12:45Profile
rbanks

Re:

Indeed, Pink can be tremendous. I've read several of his books, including "Sovereignity of God", which can be a life-altering experience. He was definitely a modern-day Puritan; a kind of 20th century John Owen. I've been a long-time proponent of his writings, as he can be hated in some circles the same way Charles Finney can be in others. Very sad, considering how God used both of these brothers in magnificent ways. Both were extremely eloquent and outspokenly aggressive against the kingdom of darkness and apostate Christiandom - though both men were polar opposites, theologically. Two soldiers marching beneath the same banner - though in different infantry divisions - trained by God to rally and anihilate the common foe.

It's good to see Pink getting some space in the forums. There's some convictions Pink had that I would caution some believers on, but on the whole he is a wonderful source of edification and his ministry offers real meat.

Quoted from Paul

I have read some of Pink and Finney and have been blessed in the Lord from both expounding on the scriptures. I have also found that some of their writing is difficult to grasp. This goes to show you that every true man of God has had problems in His understanding of all the scriptures. It is when we try to explain the unexplainable and also there are times when people can misread what one is actually saying when discussing the deeper truth in the Word.

This is why we need to be careful about calling people Heretics just because their words don’t always line up with one’s correct doctrine -that so many are more concerned about than the Word and the Holy Spirit of God. We need to realize that everybody has not said it right all the time and everybody hasn’t got their doctrine right all the time.

Blessings…from brother rbanks

2012/5/2 17:48Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

The Word is food for the young and meat for the mature (Hebrews). Sometimes we cannot chew (understand) the meat and rbanks you are right. It does not necessarily mean someone is a heretic.

Heb 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
Heb 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Pilgrim

2012/5/2 18:07Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
This goes to show you that every true man of God has had problems in His understanding of all the scriptures. It is when we try to explain the unexplainable and also there are times when people can misread what one is actually saying when discussing the deeper truth in the Word.

The more I walk with God the more I am beginning to realize that these so-called discrepancies may be deliberate. Perhaps it is His way in preventing us from making idols out of mere men. For every minister - and it makes no difference who - if you delve deep enough you will find something you cannot yet come to terms with. There will be a confliction in conviction in some area.

It is our in nature to idolize flesh and blood - and what better idol than he who can deftly wield the Word of God? Men like George Whitefield (whom I had come very close to idolizing in the past), AW Tozer, Wilkerson, Ravenhill, Zac Poonen, Keith Daniel, Matthew Henry, Art Katz, Pink, Finney, Spurgeon, it makes no difference. At some point in time I found myself in a sudden quandary while reading a sermon or listening to a message to where I had to admit in my heart: "Now, I don't believe this is right" and then had to deal with it. What to do? These are men much more mature than I. And yet I have to remain true to my own conviction on the matter, in accordance to the light I believe God has given me.

It's all deliberate, I've come to believe. It prevents us from becoming too attached, cloned, spiritually replicated. It's as if God says, "You wish to mimic this servant of Mine? Well, here's an aspect of his ministry you won't agree with. This will help take your eyes off him and put it back on Me, the only One who is Perfect in all the universe."

We are thrown off balance when we fail to heed this exhortation. It is possible to become so enamoured with a preacher or doctrine that, in our immaturity, we allow the man of God instead of the Spirit of God to indoctrinate us. This is essentially where Christian factions and sects and denominations of exclusivity come from. We utilize another man's patented looking glass through which we read the scriptures.

So never latch onto an individual, no matter how powerfully God used them in the past. Allow God to show you an aspect of their ministry, preaching and teaching that doesn't quite sit right with you. The grand secret to maturity then is when God shows it to you to not impetuously scream "heretic!" and indulge in libel and slander, but to accept the discrepancy and immediately acknowledge that neither do you have all the light. Keep looking onto Jesus, the Author and Finisher. Jesus will always keep you safe.

Brother Paul

2012/5/2 19:23Profile
rbanks

Re:

It's all deliberate, I've come to believe. It prevents us from becoming too attached, cloned, spiritually replicated. It's as if God says, "You wish to mimic this servant of Mine? Well, here's an aspect of his ministry you won't agree with. This will help take your eyes off him and put it back on Me, the only One who is Perfect in all the universe."

We are thrown off balance when we fail to heed this exhortation. It is possible to become so enamoured with a preacher or doctrine that, in our immaturity, we allow the man of God instead of the Spirit of God to indoctrinate us. This is essentially where Christian factions and sects and denominations of exclusivity come from. We utilize another man's patented looking glass through which we read the scriptures.

So never latch onto an individual, no matter how powerfully God used them in the past. Allow God to show you an aspect of their ministry, preaching and teaching that doesn't quite sit right with you. The grand secret to maturity then is when God shows it to you to not impetuously scream "heretic!" and indulge in libel and slander, but to accept the discrepancy and immediately acknowledge that neither do you have all the light. Keep looking onto Jesus, the Author and Finisher. Jesus will always keep you safe.
Quoted from Paul

I kind of think you may have something here Paul, and brother, you have been such a blessing from God to me and I am sure many on SI feel the same way. Your kindness and gentleness in all your posts along with wisdom from God with such respect toward everyone is plain to see. I have found myself at times wanting to know how you feel and how you interpret certain things because of your walk with God that is evident in all your posts and brother you have truly won my respect.

For example there was a preacher who is gone on to glory that I have admired more than any other and still to this day think highly of His tremendous walk with God. I have still yet to find a preacher whom I feel can preach better or can stir me toward God any better. I love to hear him preach and feel the Holy Ghost mightily in his messages and still admire the miracles and the thousands of lives that He has touch through His God given ministry and that ministry is still going on strong today. I still think that He was an apostle in our day, kind of like the apostle Paul and I use to think that everything He said was almost on level with the bible because it was Holy Spirit anointed words. I have just recently come to realize that God does not expect me to believe that every word that he said and preached is infallible or that I had to believe that He was right about everything in His interpretation of the scriptures. This has freed me to minister more effectively because I can’t be him and I have to minister in the light that God has shown and is showing me as long as I am not violating the clear teachings of the bible and that I am continually being led by the Holy Spirit in the word. I can listen to him now and still be blessed but I minister the word the way God gives it to me in the Spirit after I have prayed and studied the word for an enlighten message from God first hand.

Brother Paul you are one of those people who have had a part in helping me to see that just because someone has a passion and zeal for God does not mean we have to follow him on every doctrinal stance. I have found out through study and prayer and being filled with the Spirit that God will convict me of how He wants me to go if only I will strive to continue to live in His presence.

God Bless you brother Paul,
From your brother rbanks

2012/5/2 23:44Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy