SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 10 Shekels and a Shirt by Paris Reidhead

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

10 Shekels and a Shirt by Paris Reidhead

A freind of mine told me about this message, so I looked it up here and read it. It was wonderful, challanging, and directing.

The Lord has been leading me this way for some time. Last year I got hung up on Matthew 6:33, a very good place to hit a snag. God's plan for each of us is total dependency on Him in all things. Selah.

So this is a great message. I was quite startled about one line of the sermon. He mentioned that Jesus "suffered in hell". Of course this is absolutely not true. It's a core belief of those who believed "Jesus died spiritually". When Jesus said it was finished on the cross, it was just that, finished. I likely will not find the answer as to why this man would include a line like this in such a great message. Any comments?

2005/2/6 8:51
Tears_of_joy

Re: 10 Shekels and a Shirt by Paris Reidhead

Hi Lahry,

Do you mean this:

"And it REVERSED IT ALL! AND CHANGED IT ALL! AND RIGHTED IT ALL! And I wasn't any longer working for Micah and tens shekels and a shirt. BUT I WAS SERVING A LIVING GOD! I was there not for the sake of the heathen. [b]I was there for the Savior that endured the agonies of Hell for me, who didn't deserve it.[/b] But He deserved them. Because He died for them."

He doesn't say "suffered in hell", but "endured the agonies of Hell", I think Reidhead use the word "hell" as symbolic meaning of deep suffering and sorrow that Jesus endured in Gethsemane and Golgotha.

"Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.
And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

God Bless
Kire

2005/2/6 9:15Profile

Re: That's correct....

..it did not say "in". I stand corrected. Thanks, it is a great message.

2005/2/6 21:36

Re:

Yes this message is great! Every great preacher seems to have a great message.

Paris Reidhead: Ten Shekel Shirt
A W Tozer: What it means to accept Christ
Leonard Ravenhill: Judgment Seat of Christ
Ray Comfort: Hells Best Kept Secret

2005/2/6 22:55
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: What is Hell?

I have heard this doctrine before but I never really gave it much thought. I always assumed that Jesus was separated from the Father for 3 days and this is the essence of hell, separation from the Father. Scripturally I can only think of two loose fitting passages but I do not see this as a major point of theology.

Ephesians4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that [b]he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?[/b] 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Since the ascent being refered to here is spiritual can we also assume the descent is spiritual? I don’t know personally.

Acts 2: 25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: 26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27 Because [b]thou wilt not leave my soul in hell[/b], neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance. 29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before [b]spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell,[/b] neither his flesh did see corruption.

Now I am convinced this (passage from Acts) is where I got the notion. I am not convinced that the notion of Him being in Hell is quite so ridiculous. I suppose the question to ask is, what is Hell or “the lower parts of the earth”. I think you find that our understanding is relatively void.

James

2005/2/7 7:52Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Does anyone know when this sermon was preached?

2005/3/19 20:49Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re: 10 Shekels and a Shirt by Paris Reidhead

The history of the message, as I understand it, having read his own account of it, is that he had a different sermon prepared, but prior to preaching it the Lord prompted him to preach on something else. He had a few notes written on the back of an envelope, and felt that this was what the Lord wanted him to preach on, and so, with only these few scratches on an envelope he preached that sermon.

I mention this just to bring this information into consideration. given the extemporaneous nature fo the sermon, it is hard to say if this was a doctrinal leaning or a slip of the lip.

Dann
/\/
\/\

2005/3/19 23:43Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Paris Reidhead, Background

A bit here...

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=770&forum=34#3933] how 'ten shekels and a shirt' was transcribed.[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=768&forum=34#3931]About Paris Reidhead[/url]

Some redundancy, but also the full transcript:

[url=http://www.firesofrevival.com/shekels1.htm]http://www.firesofrevival.com/shekels1.htm[/url]

2005/3/20 7:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy