SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mike Bickle wants book about Catholic mystics to be "manual" at Ihop

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Mike Bickle wants book about Catholic mystics to be "manual" at Ihop

Babylon transferred her satanic worship system, where contemplative Transcendental Meditation became the vehicle to stoke the power, to Rome. Rome melded into the what we call the Roman Universal [ Catholic ] Church, that has wielded that same power; and it is wicked.

From "My word like fire!"...wordpress

Like all Christian contemplatives, Bickle works hard at presenting this [ Contemplative, Transcendental Meditation ] as biblically acceptable. He states there is “…a lot of counterfeit mysticism…” Before teaching his Christianese mantra method, he again emphasizes he is not talking about Eastern or Oprah religion.

I am sorry to say contemplative prayer seems foundational to IHOP, which means much deception has occurred, and will continue to occur. As covered elsewhere, Mike Bickle wants Fire Within, a book promoting the teachings of Catholic contemplatives Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross, to be the “manual for IHOP-KC.”

Mike Bickle claims that "God is restoring contemplative prayer to the church."; He goes on to claim that contemplative prayer is a God-ordained means of entering into the fullness of God, and that the brightest lights in church history have been Roman Catholic mystics who lived during the dark ages.

He went on to say the western church had much to learn from these mystics,” writes Jocelyn Andersen. I am quoting Andersen because the contemplative teaching where Bickle says these things seems to have been removed from the web.

Long time IHOP teacher and Missions base senior leadership member Dana Candler is the author of Deep Unto Deep. A reviewer writes, “[ "Deep Unto Deep: The Journey of His Embrace"] is inspired by the journal of Dana Candler who spends most of her time in contemplative prayer in KC, Mo. at the Int. House of Prayer.”

In Communion With God: Deep Unto Deep, Candler states, “Contemplative prayer is the way into the Ocean of Divine Love. It is the way that this fire of intimacy ignites within our being. In this love communion, the tremendous experience of God in the inner man takes place. Until this inward fire is ignited, stewarded, and released within us, we will walk as dead men. For we are only alive in the realm of love.” (Italics Candler’s) [ nirvana BT ]

Contemplative prayer, Candler writes, “is the great missing element of the prayer ministry in the Church today: touching the very core of what the New Covenant is about. This very reality brings the highest transformation in this age.”

[…and them that worship and that swear by the Lord, and that swear by Mal-cham. (Zephaniah 1:5)]....

What Candler has unknowingly asserted is that the gospel is not enough–we are “dead men” until we experience the “transformation” through contemplative prayer. She, of course, would not see it this way at all. To the contemplatives, this deceptive meditative state is what Jesus intended for us all along.

Since Candler is not only a teacher, but influential in missions, are some IHOP missionaries teaching contemplative practices? [ All are!..BT ]

If we are to believe Fire Within, the contemplative book Mike Bickle wants as “the manual for IHOP-KC,” we need the contemplative teachings of Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross to understand some biblical passages.title of the book is Fire Within: St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and the Gospel–On Prayer.

Incredibly, Bickle’s “manual” is about Catholic, contemplative mystics! Also for sale on the website are books by and about St. John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, and even Madame Guyon.

Another book being offered is The Forgotten Desert Mothers, by Laura Swan. Swan writes, “We begin to discard our old ways and go in search of new ways of communicating with God. Our prayer matures and takes on new forms.” And what are these new forms?

Swan states, ”Centering prayer, lectio divina, Christian meditation, Taize, and the Divine Office are all sought. Prayer moves us toward the simple: often sitting silently before the Divine–in contemplative or centering prayer–is all we feel drawn to do.”

Richard Foster’s Celebration of Discipline is for sale; as is Clowning in Rome and The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen.

James Goll’s Dream Language can also be purchased through the IHOP bookstore. According to Product Description, “After centuries of neglect, the church is rediscovering the realm of dreams and visions as a legitimate avenue for receiving divine revelation.”

Goll, too, is a contemplative. In his study guide on Consecrated Contemplative Prayer, Goll writes, “I wish to express thanks to our Lord for the writings of Richard Foster.”

I am not trying to aggravate those who support IHOP, but is it possible Bickle’s…odd…interpretation of certain Bible passages is the result of contemplative prayer? Make no mistake: contemplative practices can change–or determine–a person’s theology.

In an audio message, Mike Bickle apparently voiced great enthusiasm for contemplative prayer. Jocelyn Andersen has transcribed some of what was said. Kim Olsen of Discernit has reproduced IHOP’s promotion of contemplative prayer.

Perhaps it is not surprising that these have vanished from the web but can still be examined because of the diligence of these two saints.

One last thing: If you are wondering what contemplative prayer is, here is a link to an excellent article, What Is Spiritual Formation?

We are in a war. Through contemplative practices a false Christ–many false christs, actually–have great opportunity to deceive.

http://mywordlikefire.wordpress.com/2011/07/29/mike-bickle-of-ihop-wants-book-about-catholic-mystics-to-be-manual-for-ihop-kc/

2012/4/24 21:43
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Mike Bickle wants book about Catholic mystics to be "manual" at Ihop

Quick question: Would you be willing to apply the same criticism to A.W. Tozer who was known for his celebration of the Catholic mystics?

2012/4/24 21:50Profile

Do we test all things? I think we must, or we may be deceived.

"Quick question: Would you be willing to apply the same criticism to A.W. Tozer who was known for his celebration of the Catholic mystics?"...King Jimmy

I am not applying criticism as much as posting a very thorough article posing important theological questions. So, what is your response KJ, to the question posed? Did you take time to read the article, and visit the site and study the documentation?

How do you feel about immersing your church in these practices? Do you think they are of God?

Tozer may have studied the mystics, but he never taught them as orthodoxy, and as you must know, I posted a very controversial thread about exactly that; Tozer's connection to the mystics, and some of them secular Buddhists; You talk about staining the sacred cow!

I believe we should question all things and all men under the light of the Spirit agreeing to the Word, no matter a Church or person's reputation or standing.

So the discussion here is: Transcendental meditative focus, and guided imagery, and chanting to attain revelation and Heavenly Bliss? IS THIS OF GOD?

I believe that it is not, obviously.

2012/4/24 22:22
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Do we test all things? I think we must, or we may be deceived.

I read the essay very carefully. I was just curious.

2012/4/24 22:27Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

@ brothetom

I read the essay you posted. It seemed to be awfully long on opinions and pretty short on facts. Well, at least that was how it seemed.

Have you actually read the book , "Fire Within" that you posted the article on?

2012/4/24 23:18Profile
Trekker

northern USA

BY IHOP you mean International House of Pancakes, right? They went out of business here, so don't worry.

2012/4/25 4:13Profile

Quote:
Babylon transferred her satanic worship system, where contemplative Transcendental Meditation became the vehicle to stoke the power, to Rome

At the heart of Brother Tom's concern, it seems to me, lies a desire to draw attention to an effect. This effect is presented in the above quote. We don't personally know all the human story as to how the first world system of government, even Babylon, was migrated to Rome. We think of the four kingdoms and then we think of the men or individuals who were head of those kingdoms, we think of the division of a kingdom into four, etc. What we don't see beyond war, struggle division and individual pride of say Nebuchadnezzar, or Alexander, or Caesar, is the power behind their activities.

We do see that their activities are either spoken about or else prophesied and we do see God's attitude to the first king in that chain Nimrod. It is also curious that Nebuchadnezzar is given the name 'righteous king' which is a name of the Lord. This denotes something real and substantial about him. Even so we know that after him babel is carried all the way to Rome. From Rome it has come to the whole earth. Yet not by Caesar, but by bishops and popes.

It is a fearful knowledge to me that almost all wickedness on the earth has come by the hand of men who were convinced that they were serving God. Not that these men were altogether wicked, but that Satan has used their power and efforts to promote and present his ambition to be like God.

We can trace this 'working of iniquity' back to Satan himself, but how is it that he manages to have his outcome for an hour. What power in men makes this possible.

From a man, a city and a tower, a people, another city, to kingdoms then all the way back to a man. Its quiet a wicked journey. Nimrod had the capacity to instruct and lead those who were influenced by him to seek to ascend to heaven by means of man's efforts. So we had a city and a tower. God's response to that effort was astonishing and dramatic and sudden. Today God also has a response to the man of sin. Where does wisdom lie however with regard to these matters? The power of Satan is not Satan himself, but man. I pray that this does not cause anyone to become confused. The 'mystery of iniquity' is I believe best understood by its effect. History is only a scroll in the hand of the Almighty.

Genesis 10:10
Genesis 11:1-9
Amongst others

2012/4/25 4:47
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Guys we must be careful not get involved in “mysticism”.

I am a guy who believes that God does a second work of grace in the believer. However in my quest for truth I have found two paths that men have walked in the past. The differences in those paths are very subtle and the false must be rejected, as one will lead you to error the other leads to truth.

1 Tim 6:20 O Timothy, guard and keep the deposit entrusted [to you]! Turn away from the irreverent babble and godless chatter, with the vain and empty and worldly phrases, and the subtleties and the contradictions in what is falsely called knowledge and spiritual illumination. (Amplified bible)

We must take heed of Paul warning to Timothy.

Avoid the mystic’s teaching as their teaching is of subtleties and contradictions in what is falsely called knowledge and spiritual illumination.

I can see the lines being drawn very clearly and it’s getting clearer every day it’s not the time to be messing around. Will you be one who will worship the beast or overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

2012/4/25 8:06Profile
Trekker

northern USA

I had read about Madame Guyon years ago but can't recall much except that she was a bit of a mystic and had rebelled against some of the Catholic system, was abused and sent to prison where she wrote many books, etc. She had a good heart
(as did Mother Teresa and Princess Diana--two people obviously not saved) and a form of religion but....not sure if she was saved or not....she seemed to have religious or spiritual experiences....but i had read other things that didnt add up or make sense in terms of doctrine....

Norman Grubb is/was a mystic also. He wrote the bio about Intercessor Rees Howells. Mystics sound very convincing.

2012/4/25 8:07Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

I have two specific questions. The first one I have already posed to brothertom.

However, he has not yet responded so allow me broaden the base if you will.

1. Has anyone actually read the book , "Fire Within" that the article was posted on?

2. Very specifically, and in detail, please define exactly how you are defining the words, "Mystic(s)", and "Contemplative Prayer".

For example.... Contemplative prayer specifically means..... in exact detail it is...

Please fill in the blanks for us, so to speak.

2012/4/25 8:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy