SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Romans 7:6 -- What is Paul Saying?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Romans 7:6 -- What is Paul Saying?

Many, many Christians go around preaching that the apostle Paul did away with the law. That’s not true!

So once again, I will bring forth evidence from the Holy Scriptures that prove the point. One of such quotes is Romans 7:6

King James Bible
But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

"that being dead" – translated from the greek word apothanontes ἀποθανόντες Traditionally translated "that being dead"

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Gingrich and Danker, Page 91, shows this word is correctly translated DEATH PENALTY.

So, we are not dead to the law as many wrongfully suggest, Paul is saying that we have been freed from the death penalty that comes from breaking the Law. Our Messiah died to set us free from that death penalty.

So what should we do? continue in sin? by no means but now we must serve in the newness of the spirit. The "Spirit" being the Law.

1 John The Words that I Speak to You are Spirit and They are Life Eternal

The word "words" is translated from the greek word Logos, Hebrew word DABAR meaning 613 Righteous Laws of Yahweh (Look it up)

With that in mind, Romans 7:6 -7 correctly translated is:

But we are now freed from the death penalty of the Law in which we were held fast; that we might serve in the newness of the Spirit, not abolishing that which was written in the Law and the Prophets. -7- What? Can anyone therefore say that the Law is sin? No! By no means! But to the contrary, I did not know sin; (transgression of the Law), except through the Law, for I did not know lust, unless the Law had said Do not covet.

I am not your enemy, contrary! You can call me a lunatic if it makes you feel better, I'm used to it. I pray that you will also find the truth.

Praise Yahweh

2012/4/24 19:32
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: Romans 7:6 -- What is Paul Saying?

Here is link to Stephen Kuang preaching on this subject...

http://media.sermonindex.net/0/SID0728.mp3

Edit to add the link...lol

2012/4/25 14:25Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

"delivered"

Strong's Greek Dictionary
2673. katargeo
Search for G2673 in KJVSL
katargew katargeo kat-arg-eh'-o
from 2596 and 691; to be (render) entirely idle (useless), literally or figuratively:--abolish, cease, cumber, deliver, destroy, do away, become (make) of no (none, without) effect, fail, loose, bring (come) to nought, put away (down), vanish away, make void.

See Greek 2596
See Greek 691

"dead therein"

Strong's Greek Dictionary
599. apothnesko
Search for G599 in KJVSL
apoqnhskw apothnesko ap-oth-nace'-ko
from 575 and 2348; to die off (literally or figuratively):--be dead, death, die, lie a-dying, be slain (X with).

See Greek 575
See Greek 2348

Romans 7:22-25 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Delivered in Christ:

Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

The Law is what condemns us, which in Christ we are free from.

Romans 7:10-11 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

Who has set us free, free indeed?

Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

In Christ: Phillip

2012/4/25 14:43Profile

Re: What is Paul Saying?

Quote:
Ephah, what must a man do to be saved? Without exegeting scripture can you tell us in a nutshell, in your own words? This is not to generate debate, but to crystallize your convictions for us all, salvifically.

What must a man do to be saved on his deathbed - or hangman's scaffold or electric chair, or gas chamber, for that matter. Thanks. --PaulWest --

Brother Paul, the Savior summed it up for us in simple language.

"If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments" speaking of eternal life. Matthew 19:17

I can’t say it any better than he did.

The Messiah was murdered for teaching the Laws of righteousness and so was 10 of the twelve apostles. Why? for
what reason?

But yet our Savior commanded us to obey it. Don’t you wonder why? If it was useless, why would he spent so much time on this subject?

2012/4/25 15:56
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
"If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments" speaking of eternal life. Matthew 19:17

I see. Some might contend that this was spoken to a man under the Mosaic law, bereft of the Holy Spirit, pre-Calvary, and for the purpose of "flushing him out" through emphasizing the futility of keeping the law in its absolutism at the heart level of covetousness. Also, with the ruler the Lord made no mention of believing in Himself as a necessity, as he did in contrast with any and all mention of the Mosaic law curiously absent in Nicodemus' case. Yet even the ruler affirmed that he had "kept all the commandments" from his childhood up, and still came up short.

Nevertheless, just to confirm, your answer on how to obtain eternal life to a person on a deathbed, or standing on the gallows would be to "keep the commandments". Would you say this is accurate?

2012/4/25 16:45Profile

You know if anyone wants to keep the law, let them. But why bother when we have our Big Brother Jesus who kept it and by trusting in Him by faith I am counted as one who has obeyed the law, I am branded as a righteous man.

I don't know about you, but that is the better way.

2012/4/25 16:57

Re: What is Paul Saying?

Quote:
I see. Some might contend that this was spoken to a man under the Mosaic law, bereft of the Holy Spirit, pre-Calvary

What do you make of these verses then?

Blessed are those who keep His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life. Revelation 22:14 (sounds like a prerequisite to me)

If ye love me, keep my commandments John 14:15

The scriptures are littered with these quotes.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but that is the better way

It seems to be the better way because this is what we’ve been taught all our lives.

After the apostles were killed off, this teaching seized. There was no one to teach it. For 2000 years. That is the plan of Satan to destroy Yahweh’s work.

Our way is destroying the food supply, our way has created nuclear bombs and we’re getting ready to use it. Our way is going to destroy four-fifths of the population. Our way leads to death.

2012/4/25 17:24

Re:

"If ye love me, keep my commandments John 14:15"

Not to ruin anybodys pet doctrine or the systematic theology of cults, but it has been shown repeatedly on this forum that the commandments that John captures in his gospel account and his epistles are in reference to the teachings of Christ, not the law of Moses.

It is so easy to see what Paul wrote in Romans 7 that a simple fisherman can get it - yet what a rock of offense to the unconverted religious. Dead to the law through the body of Christ - the law is the dead husband, Christ is the new. There is no moral obligation to what has passed, but 100% devotion to what is new. Yet how can a man die and be born a second time when he is already old??

2012/4/25 19:38

Re:

Quote:
If ye love me, keep my commandments John 14:15

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Matthew 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.

Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

When we come to faith in the Lord Jesus it's a result of this love, it pulls us to Himself, sins are forgiven, a whole new life begins and we love Him in return.

I don't love Him because this law says for me to love Him, I love Him because He first loved me then am I directed to love Him. This does not apply to the world because the world does not know Him, but we know Him.

Verse 22 says, "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets".

This in essence is saying that when we love God with all our heart and love our neighbour as ourselves we have obeyed the whole entire law. How?

Because if you and I love God with all our heart we will not sin against Him or our neighbour, and this gets better through Christ because the law is not demanding that I be punished if I should fail to live up to it, Christ took the penalty of one who broke the law without breaking it, but because He became sin for us, the law came down hard on Him. When He died and went to Hades, He was like Abel who died unjustly His blood was crying from the ground for God to do justice and God released Him from the pangs of death because it was not possible for Him to be held by it because death hath no power over Him seeing that He was not guilty of the crimes to which He was convicted.

Lets see how far this goes.

2012/4/25 20:24

Quote:
Verse 22 says, "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets".

This in essence is saying that when we love God with all our heart and love our neighbour as ourselves we have obeyed the whole entire law. How? by Approved

- MATTHEW 22:40 - ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.

the word HANG is Strongs #2910 translated from greek {krematai} κρέμαται Meaning: DEPEND

Matthew 22:40 is saying that these two commandments DEPEND on the whole 613 Law. Without the whole Law, those two commandments are meaningless.

How can you say you love your neighbor when you're having an affair with his wife?

Yet the Law says: thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife. Deuteronomy 5:2

So loving your neighbor as yourself, depends on you not coveting his wife to begin with.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass nor am I trying to impress anyone, we should try to study the scriptures more closely, the deceptions are subtle, you won't see it. Why didn't they just put "depend" there if that's what the word means?

To deceive you. It's that simple.

2012/4/25 21:17

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy