SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are we really gods with the little g?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
David01-72

Texas

Are we really gods with the little g?

I was at a monday cell meeting, and the leader of the group brought up the "we are gods" Psalm 82 scripture and said we have the power to speak and make your dreams come true. I think that psalm 82 is referring to the religious leaders. Also doesnt Jesus use that scripture against the Pharisees. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, please correct me if im wrong and explain to me

God Bless

2012/4/24 2:04Profile
EverestoSama

Re: Are we really gods with the little g?

You weren't wrong. Find a new leader/cell group if this type of teaching is regularly taught and goes unchallenged. If your head pastor knows about this and lets the guy stay in a teaching role, find a new church.

That stuff leads to all sorts of unbiblical nonsense.

2012/4/24 4:36Profile

Re: Are we really gods with the little g?

The Psalm which speaks about 'being like god's" is similar to Genesis 3:23 "Then the Lord God said, Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil;"

The Psalm is speaking about effect and so is the Genesis account.

There is a mystery concerning what the saints will be like in the future, and this has become a popular link between these two ideas. Namely that 'you are a god'. We most assuredly are not. However much revelation a person receives they are always wrong if their teaching provokes the idea of saints being able to make their dreams come true. It is God Who gives us the desire of our hearts and Him alone Who moves the mountain, even when we command it, in His name.

You need to be careful not to put yourself into an argument over the teaching you heard. Neither be fearful of it. What others teach and do; they will have to give an account to Christ. False teaching can't harm you if you don't believe it.

2012/4/24 6:00
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

This is one of those times that being a King James reader only can cause a person problems. Our English language has changed dramatically over the last several hundred years. Consequently, words used at that time may not convey in any accurate way to us what was meant or understood by those words hundreds of years ago.

The rebuke is to the kings, governors, judges or those exercising political or ruling authority.

Read it from the Amplified and you will catch the idea. The Lord is speaking to those in authority (rulers, governors, judges etc.) that should be ruling and deciding justly in His name.

PSALM 82 - Amplified Version

1 GOD STANDS in the assembly [of the representatives] of God; in the midst of the magistrates or judges He gives judgment [as] among the gods.

2 How long will you [magistrates or judges] judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!

3 Do justice to the weak (poor) and fatherless; maintain the rights of the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy; rescue them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 [The magistrates and judges] know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in the darkness [of complacent satisfaction]; all the foundations of the earth [the fundamental principles upon which rests the administration of justice] are shaking.

6 I said, You are gods [since you judge on My behalf, as My representatives]; indeed, all of you are children of the Most High.

7 But you shall die as men and fall as one of the princes.

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth! For to You belong all the nations.

The Psalmist is appealing for those who administer justice and govern on the earth to do so in defense of the poor, needy, and afflicted. Apparently their judicial system had become corrupted by those who would take bribes, etc.
In doing so they were perverting justice for the most needy among them. This is a common theme brought up in the writings of the prophets as well. Isaiah is one that devotes a good bit of his writing to it in particular.

Hope that is helpful in making better sense of it. I love the KJV, but if it is all a person reads in English it will cause lots of misunderstanding because our language has changed so much since it was written.

2012/4/24 8:17Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

He who said call no man father, would certainly take offense at calling men gods.

2012/4/24 10:16Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, we are God's

2012/4/24 11:36Profile
lindi1208

Re: Are we gods with a little g

Hi David

I believe this teaching of psalm 82 is a twisting of scripture which is associated with the word of faith movement of speaking things into existence. Justin Peters does a brilliant teaching on the subject. You can find the video series called a call to discernment by Justin Peters on YouTube he explains where the foundations of little gods teaching started and exposes past and present day advocates of this heresy. I hope it will help answer some of your questions

Be blessed in Christ

2012/4/24 18:18Profile

Re:

I think most of us are afraid of becoming what God has intended us to become IN Christ Jesus.

Think about it for a moment. Here we are apart of this great Tree of Life called God. In this great Tree there is a main BRANCH called Jesus Christ and from that branch stems thousands of many other branches. From that main STEM life proceeds, the sap of the Holy Ghost flows from branch to branch to twig and leaf and finally to fruit. We are all apart of this Tree. We are not the Tree but the Tree has us. But we are all apart of the life of God. We are born again by the Spirit of God as if God gave birth.

No man who has any inkling of this knowledge claims any of this for himself, nay, he abandons it and clings to the cross praying, "None of me Lord, all to thee". Men who take this place are emulating the life of Christ saying, "Not my will, but thine be done".

There is nothing wrong in knowing who we are in Christ, but there is everything wrong if the cross is not evident in our life. The cross reminds us that if we want to be great we must become nothing. This is the life of the Father in Christ Jesus. That is the reason why God is so High and lifted up because He is a Servant of servants. He came down low and created a lowly creature in His image and called it Adam, and desired fellowship. He gave to Adam all that He needed even after he sinned, God came to him again to see what he needed. Only a few men knew His ways and emulated Him. The word of faith adherents think of power and how to get more power but they never understand that to have power we must become nothing, we must be stripped of everything that we are so that we can be entrusted with His life and purpose.

Know who you are through the cross, it's the only way.

2012/4/24 19:13
David01-72

Texas

Re:

Quote:
You weren't wrong. Find a new leader/cell group if this type of teaching is regularly taught and goes unchallenged. If your head pastor knows about this and lets the guy stay in a teaching role, find a new church.

yes i've been thinking about this, i mean i like how the pastor preach but its mostly the teachings on monday cell meetings

Quote:
The Psalm which speaks about 'being like god's" is similar to Genesis 3:23 "Then the Lord God said, Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil;"

The Psalm is speaking about effect and so is the Genesis account.

There is a mystery concerning what the saints will be like in the future, and this has become a popular link between these two ideas. Namely that 'you are a god'. We most assuredly are not. However much revelation a person receives they are always wrong if their teaching provokes the idea of saints being able to make their dreams come true. It is God Who gives us the desire of our hearts and Him alone Who moves the mountain, even when we command it, in His name.

You need to be careful not to put yourself into an argument over the teaching you heard. Neither be fearful of it. What others teach and do; they will have to give an account to Christ. False teaching can't harm you if you don't believe it.

From the first time i heard this teaching, i felt uncomfortable. This monday a leader said that if we follow Christ we will receive all his promises and He will give us what we want, then i questioned him and showed him Hebrew 11:39-40 then 11:35-38.

Quote:
This is one of those times that being a King James reader only can cause a person problems. Our English language has changed dramatically over the last several hundred years. Consequently, words used at that time may not convey in any accurate way to us what was meant or understood by those words hundreds of years ago

yes, i have a NLT version that the church gave me after the "encounter with God" retreat. to compare scriptures.

Quote:
I believe this teaching of psalm 82 is a twisting of scripture which is associated with the word of faith movement of speaking things into existence. Justin Peters does a brilliant teaching on the subject. You can find the video series called a call to discernment by Justin Peters on YouTube he explains where the foundations of little gods teaching started and exposes past and present day advocates of this heresy. I hope it will help answer some of your questions

yes thank you for your reply. I have studied the "word of faith" movement and i agree. I have notice that my church is
mixed with all these teachings and sometimes teach borrowed
sermons from other pastors (mostly by TD Jakes Who i believe he is Oneness).I will listen to the video you gave me by Justin Peters.

Quote:
Think about it for a moment. Here we are apart of this great Tree of Life called God. In this great Tree there is a main BRANCH called Jesus Christ and from that branch stems thousands of many other branches. From that main STEM life proceeds, the sap of the Holy Ghost flows from branch to branch to twig and leaf and finally to fruit. We are all apart of this Tree. We are not the Tree but the Tree has us. But we are all apart of the life of God. We are born again by the Spirit of God as if God gave birth.

No man who has any inkling of this knowledge claims any of this for himself, nay, he abandons it and clings to the cross praying, "None of me Lord, all to thee". Men who take this place are emulating the life of Christ saying, "Not my will, but thine be done".

There is nothing wrong in knowing who we are in Christ, but there is everything wrong if the cross is not evident in our life. The cross reminds us that if we want to be great we must become nothing. This is the life of the Father in Christ Jesus. That is the reason why God is so High and lifted up because He is a Servant of servants. He came down low and created a lowly creature in His image and called it Adam, and desired fellowship. He gave to Adam all that He needed even after he sinned, God came to him again to see what he needed. Only a few men knew His ways and emulated Him. The word of faith adherents think of power and how to get more power but they never understand that to have power we must become nothing, we must be stripped of everything that we are so that we can be entrusted with His life and purpose.

Thank you, well said brother
God bless

2012/4/25 1:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy