SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why Did Christ Have To Come Back From The Grave?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Why Did Christ Have To Come Back From The Grave?

Before we get theological about this subject let me first say that it was prophesied. But lets move away from that for a moment and ask ourselves why it was necessary for Him return from the grave?

A thought entered my mind and it was this, "Why was it necessary for Christ to return from the dead?". And immediately came another question/answer which I won't post right now. It got me thinking about the resurrection and why didn't Christ stay in the ground like everyone else who died.

Yes we all know that He is the resurrection etc.. etc.. this is what I mean, lets not get theologically smart with our answers but lets delve into the legalities of why hell had to spit Him back out.

We all know the answers because Paul speaks of it, but do we really KNOW the answer? Tradition holds us all in it's tight grip. The second question that came to me was astronomical, I dare not speak of it because tradition will instantly knock it down. But I will speak of it at some point because it can't be refuted.

I would like to see this thread take flight into the journey of faith regrading this subject and once everyone has displayed their reasons why Christ had to rise from the dead. I would like to proceed with that second question/answer that I hope most will at least think hard about it before rejecting it.

God Bless

2012/4/21 0:05
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Why Did Christ Have To Come Back From The Grave?

His resurrection was necessary to begin a new history in this world, and to be the first of God's new creation. By resurrection he became a prototype of what God was doing for a new humanity. Without his resurrection, the old order would still reign. But by means of resurrection a new order has come into being. An order in which the cosmos were fundamentally changed. An order in where death is no longer the one who reigns.

2012/4/21 5:49Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi Approved,

Great topic to stimulate thought.

1Co 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

If Christ is not raised then we could not be raised with Him in newness of life and we would still be dead in our sins. There would be no indwelling Christ, no NEW MAN.

We would not be able to overcome in this life because what overcomes is His life in us.

Pilgrim

2012/4/21 10:51Profile

Re:

Let me press the issue further, Why did Hell spit Him back out? (I use the word 'spit' because of the similitude of Jonah being spewed out of the whales belly).

Why could not death hold Him? It held others but why not Him?

Yes, He is the Son of God, but removing that position, why?

2012/4/21 17:25
pilgrim777

Re:

Act 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Contrary to Jonah and the whale spitting him out, Death did not spit out Jesus.

The whale swallowed Jonah and the whale spit him out.

But Jesus Christ was not swallowed by death and therefore could not be "spit out".

In fact, Jesus Christ swallowed death. He turned the tables on this "whale".

Isa 25:8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

And if death could not hold Him and we believe this, and further we believe that death cannot hold us (because of Him), then what is holding us back from living for Him with all that is within us?

Pilgrim

2012/4/21 19:03Profile

Re:

Act 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Ah, this is what I wanted.

It was not possible that He should be held of it.

Why wasn't it possible that He should not be holden by it?

2012/4/22 22:44

Re:

Maybe because He is GOD and what can hold Creator GOD?

Joh 10:17,18 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself.
I have power to lay it down, and *I have power to take it again.* This commandment have I received of my Father.

Joh 17:3-5 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

2012/4/22 23:45
pilgrim777

Re:

Aside from the obvious, He had to come back because He was God.

Also, if He did not come back, our faith is in vain. We would be like the two on the Emmaus road, except we would all be continually like those 2 without any hope.

But, to your question, why was it not possible for death to hold Him? Because it had no legal right. All men up until Christ were held under the power of death by virtue of the fact they were sinners and did not have the life of God in them. And the law of God condemned all under sin. It is the Life of God in us that cannot be holden by death.

1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

He is the resurrection and the life. If you have Christ then death has no legal hold on you. His holy life saved Him and His holy life saves you.

Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

1Co 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory THROUGH OUR Lord Jesus Christ.

Pilgrim

2012/4/23 0:48Profile
jochbaptist

Re:

Death had nothing to hold on to, because He was sinless.

Sin gives Death it's grip to hold the sinner in the grave.

Because he was sinless, Jesus was "taflonised" and Death grasped in vain as He rose from the Grave, with those that were crucified with Him.

2012/4/23 7:48Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

And it goes against the justice and righteousness of God's character to allow death/Satan to hold onto a sinless man.

Death has every right to hold a sinner, but could not hold the Sinless One or a Saint (because of the Sinless One).

Pilgrim

2012/4/23 8:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy