SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can anyone help?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
inotof

Morehead, KY

Can anyone help?

I'm having a bit of a spiritual delima. I'm a youth/associate Pastor at my local church. i have been in this position for a little over 5 years. Being in this postion, feeling called to this ministry, I have done my best to be an example. However, I have not been wise in handeling my finances. I didn't file bankruptcy, I refuse to. We took some bad advice and enrolled in a Debt Counseling (scam) Program. We were keeping the bills paid, most of the time, eve if it was a little late. Then we had a baby and things got a little tighter. Long to the short of it is that because we refused to go belly up, and decided to try to have integrity and pay our bills, albeit late, I am being sued by one or the Credit Card Companies. I'm still doing everything i can to pay, but they are actually going to garnish my wages. I said all that to get to this point. I desire to Honor God in all i do. To me this is a big fat mistake and it is my own fault. But even though it is my fault, i feel as if it is a reproach against my Great King and Dear Father. My quesion is this, should i step down? Should i take a Sabbatical until i'm out of debt? I've searched the scriptures and I am a little confused. If anyone has any advice, i'd really appreciate it.

2005/2/4 15:49Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Can anyone help?

Quote:
My quesion is this, should i step down? Should i take a Sabbatical until i'm out of debt? I've searched the scriptures and I am a little confused. If anyone has any advice, i'd really appreciate it.

You are being paid for your youth pastor position right? Could your wife get a job or yourself a second one for a duration? If you are being sued for alot perhaps filing for bankruptcy is the wisest choice? I have never been in that sort of situation. It does seem like you are abit over your head so maybe to talk to a christian lawyer would be a good step?

2005/2/4 16:08Profile
StevenL

Re: Can anyone help?

Brother, I am just coming out of this very thing. I know it feels terrible. I've come out of about 20,000 ( a LOT for me ) for the last few years now and am just about to, Lord willing, break even. I had to just put my head down and put everything I made on the debt for a long time...seemed like forever. I've felt like an absolute slave. "The borrower is the slave of the lender." My heart is with you and I ask the Lord to give you wisdom and deliverance. You may need to just get a second job for a while. You definitely must SET YOUR MIND and get ready to suffer until this is overcome. You will have to exercise great self-control (fruit of the spirit.) You will have to do without some things you want. You may need to sell a car and get a cheaper one. I don't know the extent of the debt...you may need to get a less expensive house... maybe scale way back and start over. Your family will have to be in complete agreement. These are just ideas, of course...not trying to tell you what to do. God will lead you out if you will just buckle down and get serious about the matter.

I'm sure you already know all the Scriptures about debt by now. "Owe no man anything..." And I'm sure you've beat yourself up with guilt ENOUGH by now. So I say, just take a deep breath, take it to God, put your head down and go to work with joy and faith in your heart, and get the problem taken care of. And just keep ministering the Word if you feel that's what God has called you to do...SHOW your people how it's done. Be an example of someone who has failed at something short-term, like any man has, and has overcome the failure. You may help one of them out of the same thing one day.

I'm here to witness that it can be done through the Lord's help. Thank you Lord! And you know what? I didn't/don't even "tithe." God has blessed me abundantly through His Grace. I have prayed that the Spirit will bless these words to you brother. I know that Father loves you very much and will provide exactly what you need. You may, like myself, need some hardship to strengthen you and cause you to grow. He will not forsake you, no matter how it looks to your flesh right now. And I KNOW it looks bad and feels even worse.

Father, I join with my brother now in agreement that you have delivered and will deliver him and his family from this problem. Teach him your ways. Give him WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE that no man can get for himself. Even right now as we exchange these words!

I know that you will not despair brother! Just keep walking. You'll get there a step at a time.

2005/2/4 16:53Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

Actually, I am a full time volunteer my wife works and i do as well. They are suing me, but not because i can't pay, it's kind of like they have to wait in line, they're going to get paid, even if i have to work my fingers to the bone or whatever. I actually don't know any Christian Laywer, suggestions? I don't want anyone to think that I'm seeking counsel on the basis of not wanting others to think bad of me, i just don't want them to look at me and see the "title" i hold and turn a nose up at Our Father for it.

2005/2/4 17:01Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

Quote:
Father, I join with my brother now in agreement that you have delivered and will deliver him and his family from this problem. Teach him your ways. Give him WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE that no man can get for himself. Even right now as we exchange these words!

I know that you will not despair brother! Just keep walking. You'll get there a step at a time.

Thanks brother! I appreciate your prayers!!

2005/2/4 17:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy