Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events :  Modern Slavery: A Christian Issue

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Re:

That's good,JB. That's kind of the angle I come from too.

Preaching the Gospel changes men's hearts which in turn changes some aspects of society. Since men make up society, their hearts must change first. However, many are in positions of influence and power (Esther) where they can effect certain kinds of change through decree.

Pilgrim

2012/4/21 13:57Profile
roadsign

Re:

Thank you all for sharing your good thoughts. We can see that the issue of slavery has many dimensions.

Quote:
What do you (anyone) say to Muslims, Atheists and Hindus that point to our Bible and say Yahweh promoted slavery in the OT and in the NT, Jesus and the Apostles did not preach against it?

A fair question. Of course, in such a situation the burden of proof is not on me. I would shift the gears and draw attention to biblical focus of responsibility towards one another. It’s not merely a matter of established social order, but of treatment towards others, and responsibility to their well being, as required by God. That’s a high calling – established in both testaments. Also, it might be appropriate to draw attention to another kind of slavery: the slavery of sin, and the need for freedom in Christ. After all, it is only in Christ where one finds empowerment to treat others with care – regardless of the social order. A true Christ follower is careful not to dominate, exploit, or misuse their advantaged power.

Here I agree with Yohannan: Apart from Christ centeredness in our mission, we will never truly set slaves free. Still I think that we should guard our cynicisms against secularists - pagans or whatever, who show evidence of compassion and are truly making a difference. There is always the possibility that these “Good Samaritans” have a more acute sense of responsibility to the afflicted than the people of God have. And to be honest, if my child was trapped in slavery, I would be grateful for any of these to liberate to him.

How do we approach the problem of slavery? I think that is an issue for us all. We can’t fix it. But there is always the danger of keeping our conscience at distance through such strategies as theological/theoretical debate on the matter, focusing on logistics or criticizing the false motives of those involved. There is the danger of objectifying the slaves, like viewing them more as statistics than real people who are suffering. On the other hand, there are always those charities which exploit our compassion to make money for themselves. We don’t want to get used – so there is the temptation to shield ourselves.

As I listen to the real stories, and see how slavery happens, I also see how the gospel in any society is so crucial. If people trust God for their needs, they will be able to resist the lure for false promises of income.

The Hannah Project, which I posted earlier is a good example of grass roots empathy that truly makes a difference. And it is Christ-centered. By equipping and teaching through their radio programming, this mission work helps oppressed women rise above their former predisposition to exploitation and slavery. Here is a worthy ministry to donate to, I believe.

Meanwhile…. I do like my chocolate. Should I stop eating it became I know that child slaves are used in the chocolate industry?

Diane

2012/4/22 16:50Profile
Compton

Re:

Hello Deltadom,

Quote:
What do you (anyone) say to Muslims, Atheists and Hindus that point to our Bible and say Yahweh promoted slavery in the OT and in the NT, Jesus and the Apostles did not preach against it?

God never once promoted, nor even permitted the kidnapping, wrongful imprisonment, molestation, physical and emotional abuse, and forced drug addictions that constitute the dehumanizing sexual slave trade thriving in many parts of the modern world. In fact, God has always condemned these things without equivocation.

Consider these verses.

Exodus 21:16 Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper’s possession.

Dueteronomy 23:15-18 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand him over to his master. Let him live among you wherever he likes and in whatever town he chooses. Do not oppress him. No Israelite man or woman is to become a shrine prostitute. You must not bring the earnings of a female prostitute or of a male prostitute into the house of the Lord your God to pay any vow, because the Lord your God detests them both.

Furthermore, even within the primtive context of ancient mid-east warfare, sexual objectification of women or sexual slavery was not permitted by God whatsoever.

Dueteronomy 21:10-14 When you go to war against your enemies and the LORD your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

I hope this is helpful to your question.

MC

2012/4/22 22:11Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Good post. God does not approve of slavery. Some of the slavery in the OT was those who could not pay their bills and would work off the debt. Regardless, God still expected high standards from masters to their servants.
Slavery is evil, and no people can survive with its practice. Thankfully England outlawed it. The US went to war to end its awful practice.

2012/4/22 22:25Profile
roadsign

Re: More Bible texts related to slavery

The Bible also teaches that ill treatment of others is symptomatic of hardened hearts and rebellion against God. So anyone who uses scripture to justify slavery, would need to abide by the full counsel of God, or else their justification is merely cause for divine judgment – NOT divine approval. After all, using scripture as an authority and then defying it is a cause for divine judgment.

If I understand correctly, the radical Muslim has far less respect for our wishywashy form of Christianity than for a serious stand of our faith – even if he resists it. From that perspective, the following passages will surely bear down on his conscience:

-------------------------

Woe to those who make unjust laws,
to those who issue oppressive decrees,
to deprive the poor of their rights
and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people,
making widows their prey
and robbing the fatherless.
What will you do on the day of reckoning,
when disaster comes from afar?
To whom will you run for help?
Where will you leave your riches?
Isaiah 10:1-3

See how each of the princes of Israel who are in you uses his power to shed blood. In you they have treated father and mother with contempt; in you they have oppressed the foreigner and mistreated the fatherless and the widow. You have despised my holy things and desecrated my Sabbaths. Ezekiel 22:6-8
They trample on the heads of the poor as on the dust of the ground and deny justice to the oppressed. Father and son use the same girl and so profane my holy name. Amos 2:7

Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed. It may be that then your prosperity will continue.” Daniel 4:27

…. and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. Isaiah 58:10

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Isaiah 58:6

Defend the weak and the fatherless;
uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Psalm 82:3

--------------------------------
I am wondering: From God's perspective, how faithful is the Christian community in this calling? Where do I/we fit in here? We surely have some role to play in modern slavery.... lest our fastings, prayers, and tears for revival be fruitless.

Diane

2012/4/23 6:58Profile
roadsign

Re:

Thank you for your responses. I raised this topic as a way of soliciting your thoughts.

I have some upcoming public duties that relate. One of them is the National Day of Mourning for workers killed, disabled, injured or made unwell by their work. As a speaker, I represent the moral voice.

This event is now recognized worldwide on Apr. 28 each year. But slavery happens to be a "workplace" too. While it is vital to uphold the moral obligation to protect our own workplaces, we must also recognize this as a privilege which millions around the world will never know. That calls for gratitude.

There is also the moral issue of greed which will always threaten the welfare of workers - not only those near, but also those far away. .... (Our own life style is going to affect a lot of other people.)

"Godliness with contentment is great gain" - on many levels.

Diane

2012/4/24 4:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy