Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events :  Modern Slavery: A Christian Issue

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Modern Slavery: A Christian Issue

“Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts. Perhaps the Lord God Almighty will have mercy on the remnant of Joseph.” Amos 5:15

This scripture links the restoration and revival of God’s people with obedience in the area of social justice. I wonder - how does that relate with modern day slavery? There are twice as many slaves today as there were in the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Today millions of adults and children are being treated as cheep commodities – to work in the production of items which you and I enjoy and take for granted. There are also slaves in our own countries.

Of course we rejoice over those who confronted slavery in the past - like John Newton and Wilberforce. We are also thankful for secular governments and organizations today which attempt to reduce slavery – like rescuing the children in the cocoa plantations in the Ivory Coast. I would like to know more about how modern believers fit in to this picture. Do we have our modern day Wilberforce’s – for whom we can pray and support? This is, after all, one of our Christian duties:

“This is what the LORD Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another.” Zechariah 7:9

Here are two of many clips that serve to heighten our awareness about modern slavery:

1) Kevin Bales: How to Combat Slavery on TED.com. Very informative! In this brief video Bales explains why slavery proliferates today, and what can be done about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUM2rCIUdeI

Slavery in the Chocolate Industry. In this video you see the evidence of disturbing ignorance or denial among those who could be most helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpwIzeyjKQ&feature=related

I rephrase Bale’s final statement and apply it to the Christian community: If we have been given glorious freedom in Christ, but cannot use it to help liberate slaves, then ARE WE TRULY FREE?

Diane Eaton

2012/4/18 15:42Profile
roadsign

Re: Modern Slavery: A Christian Issue

Any modern Christian emancipation stories/missions?

"He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners... " Is. 61:1

Diane

2012/4/19 7:08Profile
Compton

Re:

A dear woman at our church, Millie McCarty, heads up an organization called Compassionate Care International, that is engaged in helping former victims of child trafficking to find restoration and wholeness again. She is traveling to Rwanda next week with a team to help establish ministry counseling teams for a precious village that is home to orphans of that countries awful genocide.

Millie is a remarkable spirit filled woman, who shows that vision and compassion never retires, but always inspires.

http://compassionatecareint.org/

2012/4/19 10:25Profile
roadsign

Re:

Thank you Mike for posting this link. I am encouraged in seeing this ministry - truly led by God through the life of one who was willing to be used by God. I pray that many victims of slavery will find new hope through Compassionate Care International. And may God raise up more workers. In this field the harvest is plentiful!

Diane

2012/4/19 13:29Profile
roadsign

Re: More on modern slavery

I found a Christian ministry online that deals with modern slavery: The North American Baptist Woman's Union is addressing human trafficking - the sex trade. http://www.nabwu.org/Action.html

I don't know much about this denomination....... But I do know that two dynamic Spirit-filled Christian women are coming as speakers at an event in my area. (I'm preparing an announcement for Sunday in church) They are aboriginal women who were once sex slaves. One of them was bought and sold in brothels all over Canada from the time she was 12. She was on a one way path to self-destruction, incarceration, and eventually her own death.

BUT GOD (!).....

I will provide some testimonial content later.

For now, here's a brief online excerpt on the issue of sex trafficking:
--------
It happens to thousands daily — women and young girls are kidnapped, sold, or lured by traffickers who prey on their dreams of employment abroad for positions such as nannies, models and actresses. They’re then exported to Europe, the Middle East, the U.S. and elsewhere, where they’re sold to (...)

This has become the fastest growing form of organized crime in Eastern Europe, with Moldova and Ukraine widely seen as the centers of the global trade in women and girls.

-------------

May God show us how he is setting these captives free (many of them hidden away in our own nations). May God empower the modern church to be partners in God's operation-liberation.

Diane

2012/4/20 12:58Profile
roadsign

Re: Project Hannah - Trans World Radio

http://www.projecthannah.org/about/

Here is a site that describes an exciting gospel ministry to women entrapped in slavish conditions around the world. It is an arm of Trans World Radio. http://www.twr.org/

I include that link too – for your blessing. This is an outstanding website in many ways – and if you are a technically minded, you can see the evidence of highly skilled and creative mission workers. On one of the pages you can even watch the world population figures as they change by the second.

Be blessed!

-----------------------------
I paste here the home page information for Project Hannah.
Around the world, women are hiding. Some hide behind veils so thick that not even their eyes are visible. Others are hiding in their homes, afraid to come out for fear of being raped or killed in time of war, or disfigured just because they dare to go to school. Hundreds of women have been burned alive by their own relatives in the name of “family honor.” Still others hide inside themselves, beaten down by daily abuse and neglect which hollows out the joy in their eyes, leaving only a sense of duty to keep them alive.
Project Hannah’s founder, Marli Spieker, saw an Asian woman one day, covered head to toe in a black veil as she walked through 100-degree heat. Anger welled up in Marli and she felt God telling her: “Do you see that black veil? It is not only over her head. It is over her mind, her heart, her family, her spirit, her whole life! This woman lives in darkness.” Marli responded, “Whatever I can do, I will do, to bring her to the light!”
But how can the light reach a woman who is hidden away, too isolated by culture, religion or fear to come in contact with the believers who can help change her life forever?
Where circumstances create walls, Trans World Radio is breaking through in the form of Project Hannah (PH) and the Women of Hope radio program. Every day, listeners are learning about the God David writes of in the Psalms: “The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit ” (Ps. 34:17-18).
Project Hannah seeks to meet the needs of the whole woman, providing practical advice, spiritual guidance and an international prayer movement.
God expresses in His Word the great love He has for the widows, orphans and oppressed in the world. He calls each one of us to provide these precious ones with the opportunity to hear the Word of God through the voice of love. We are His vessels to carry healing to the brokenhearted.
Mission Statement
Project Hannah is a ministry of TWR, offering compassion, encouragement and hope to suffering women worldwide through prayer, awareness and radio programming.
Project Hannah’s purpose is:
• to raise awareness and empathy for the plight of women worldwide.
• to pray for women who are being abused emotionally, physically or spiritually.
• to broadcast the gospel of Jesus Christ to women around the world, encouraging them to:
1. experience God’s love, freedom and power as they face life’s daily challenges.
2. embrace their God-given destiny and glorious inheritance in Christ Jesus, whatever their cultural, social or economic situation.
3. pass on to their children a legacy of faith, wisdom and godly character.
----------------------------------------------

2012/4/21 6:22Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I have no problem with the slavery issue as I am thourougly against it as we in the Uk have people like Steve Chalke and Beth Redman and others proclaiming that it should stop

I think it is abhorrant but my problem is that they do not link it to say Islam which wholeheartly believes in slavery and that protesting or singing songs about it can stop it to some degree I have no problem with that but when it gets higher than the Gospel.

As it was the gospel being proclaimed, I can say that about any issue if it gets above Christ.

We are fighting an issue that the power of the gospel can only stop,
As why should Slavery be wrong if you are an Atheist or a Hindu or a Muslim, in the quran it says that slavery is fine and Mohammed actually thought there was nothing wrong with it.

I am for christians fighting say abortion and even slavery,poverty even Christians in politics but that does not denegrate from the fact that should not us stop from proclaiming the Gospel and getting on our knees in prayer

If we take for example the Slaves in Sudan it is because of there Islamic background and that having christian slaves.

One Issue that I despise is that people use issues such as Slavery when they may be teaching heresy and the issue is raised above Jesus as Christ will not give his glory to another

2012/4/21 8:05Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
One Issue that I despise is that people use issues such as Slavery when they may be teaching heresy

Deltadom, I understand. This is also true for environmentalism. A problem is created and exaggerated in order to provide a platform for a political agenda. Likewise campaigns to raise slavery-awareness can be merely money raisers – with little actually being done to benefit the slaves. Do you think this may be true in the links I provided in the first post here? It would mean a lot to me if you watched them and gave your thoughts on them per se. And, you may also have some other helpful suggestions - connections, etc.

Diane

2012/4/21 8:21Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi Diane,

Thank you for bringing up an interesting topic.

Deltadom says:

Quote:
We are fighting an issue that the power of the gospel can only stop,
As why should Slavery be wrong if you are an Atheist or a Hindu or a Muslim, in the quran it says that slavery is fine and Mohammed actually thought there was nothing wrong with it.

What do you (anyone) say to Muslims, Atheists and Hindus that point to our Bible and say Yahweh promoted slavery in the OT and in the NT, Jesus and the Apostles did not preach against it?

Lev 25:44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, [shall be] of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.

1Tim 6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and [his] doctrine be not blasphemed.

Eph 6:5 Servants, be obedient to them that are [your] masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;
Eph 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;
Eph 6:7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men:
Eph 6:8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether [he be] bond or free.
Eph 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

It would be helpful to know how you answer these.

I abhor slavery, too, but slavery was very prevalent in Paul's day and I think Paul did not want to be seen as instigating rebellion against men's laws. I think he was demonstrating that though we may be in bondage to men in the flesh, we can be free in the Spirit. People today like to use Jesus as their example of Pacifism (Jesus was no Pacifist) and that you can rebel "peacefully" against man's laws, refusing to work, protesting, sit-ins, etc. But Jesus and the Apostles never demonstrated Pacifism.

In many ways we are all slaves to our governments because they tax the fruit of our labors and let us keep enough so that we can stay alive and keep working for them. Reminds me of Pharaoh and the Hebrew children.

What do you think?

Pilgrim

2012/4/21 10:21Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

It seems to me that Paul decided to work from the inside out rather than to try and fight a huge operation (The Roman empire soon had more slaves than free men). In other words, be a ture Christian whether you are a slave or not. He did call slavery a work of the flesh (see I Tim. 1:10). KJV calls this "meanstealers" which is from a greek work meaning to enslave. It is wrong. Where man intends it for evil, God can turn it into good, as in the case of Joseph. In Philemon he admonished him to treat his Christian slave as a brother, not as a slave. He told Onesimus to return to Philemon and exhibit Christ to him.
Though slavery is a moral evil, Christians are to try and reach each one for Him. K.P. Yohannon has a good article about human slavery
http://www.gfa.org/news/articles/dalit-liberation-the-true-answer/
Here's another good link on modern slavery:
http://www.freedomcenter.org/slavery-today/

2012/4/21 13:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy