Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Contemporary Christian Music

CCM... good or evil?

2005/2/4 15:13
jeremyhulsey

Re: Contemporary Christian Music

I don't know, depends on what it is that I'm listening too I guess. I'm very disappointed that the labels have all been bought up by secular companies and are no longer ministry oriented. Instead they are now market driven.

2005/2/4 15:28Profile

Re:

Quote:
I don't know, depends on what it is that I'm listening too I guess. I'm very disappointed that the labels have all been bought up by secular companies and are no longer ministry oriented. Instead they are now market driven.

Keith Green used to buck that system... and now, 20+ years after his death, you can no longer get his music "for whatever you can afford". I wonder what he would think of that.

CCM stopped being about ministry a long time ago. Thats not to say some artists aren't ministry oriented, I know some are... but on a whole, it's about selling records. Period.

Krispy

2005/2/4 15:33
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re:

Krispy,

I remember reading some author's thoughts on CCM many years ago. He asked the question, how well would CCM be received, say at an altar call, when the Holy Spirit was exposing sin in our lives, and drawing us to a place of repentance and regeneration?
And I suppose we would have to clarify what we label as CCM? Mostly when I think of this style of music I am not able to distinguish if the object of the affection sang about is a girlfriend, boyfriend, spouse, your pet, or God Almighty? Make any sense?

AND, some might say the twangy, bluegrass Gospel style would not fit at an altar call as well?

I agree, too many times these days it seems it's nothing more than Big Business, and not for Ministry.

Look forward to reading the posts,

In Christ,
tony

2005/2/4 15:52Profile
StevenL

I've been a musician for about 40 years and have had some great struggles with the "christian" music scene and just music in general, I guess. I've gotten so disgusted with it all that I've just about completely stopped listening to ccm altogether. It's gone the way of most other things in the churches including many "ministries" and "preachers." Most of it now is indistinguishable from the rest of the world and is lukewarm gagwater. Still love Keith Green though, and Don Fransisco, Harvest, Lamb, very few of the later ones...I kinda like some of 3rd Day's stuff...Phillips, Craig & Dean...John Elaphonte (

2005/2/4 17:33Profile
StevenL

Re:

Well part of my post got chopped off. I'm too tired to retype it. I just don't like the ccm business. I'm sure there some good-hearted brothers and sisters in there.

2005/2/4 17:35Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: "Christian" Music Industry

Is there anyone to sing not for his glory?
CCM...Todays "Christian" Music Industry - what is this all about? Is it for Jesus or its for us? Is it for His glory or is it for our career? Who is glorified? Who is on the cover of the albums? Lord Jesus - I doubt. What is meaning of "He must increase, but I must decrease"? More of Him, less of me, what that means?
In my country we don't have christian TV and I don't have much opportunities to watch "christian" clips, I have seen some on internet - I was ashamed that the name of the Lord Jesus was mentioning there! I quickly turned off. Just as clips in the world and as the world is acting - difference - we are singing for Jesus. Are we? Or is something else covered with the name of the Holy One?
Are we winning the world or the world already won us?
I like that what brother Ravenhill wrote - The pulpit (church) can be a shop window to display our talents; [b]the closet (prayer) speaks death to display.[/b]

Once I started to watch christian concert by one of the best known CCM artists - when he was enetering the hall, big crowd of young people started to scream and wanted to touch him, he was making way to the stage and waving his hands to the crowd!!! I quit watching that - my spirit was deeply disturb.

One of the messages that deeply stirred my heart was [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1865]"Finished with the World by Keith Daniel"[/url]
[Edit] Here is another discussion about this sermon - [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1710&forum=35&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0]link[/url] [Edit]
Brother Keith speaks clearly about entertainment in the church. He gives example about how he once preached in a church where a very famous christian singer was there. After the meeting this singer met brother Keith and said to him: "Mr. Daniel I want to tell you, that God brought me here tonight, I want to tell you that I am singing in the pulpits of the great conventions across the land...since I was saved I am singing...and I listened to you now and I realized - all I am doing is entertainment, I just changed platforms into the church...all I am doing is wanting the applause of men...I want you to pray for me"

I pray that more will realize that. I pray that Lord will convict me and reveal to me what I am doing for His glory and what I am doing for my glory. Am I turning the focus from Jesus to me. I know that I am quilty of that sometimes.

-God bless
Kire

2005/2/4 19:46Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

I'm a little late on this one. I work aroun CCm all day. I've seen everyside of it.I've actuall (gasph!) been to a concert or two. The thing that gets me is the motive. You've got these christian prancing on the stage dressed like Brintanny Spears or one the Backsroads boys--the lights are zooming, guitars cranked, people are cheering, some are crying some are hopping up and down in placid anticipation--and for what? For Jesus? Maybe. For the band. Most likely. It's not just CCm though, it is in everything. I;ve seen people so emotionally charged to see TV preaher--that he could preach that Moses was a baboon and they would keep listening. I think it all boils down to motivation. Why do they do it? Why do they feel the need to do it the way they do it? I understand the arguments about culture and so on--but how far is too far? When Ccm magazine starts spotlighting Creed as a 'chrsitian band' or 'Evenesece' both of which blatantly said NO WE ARE NOT--yet many in the christian youth community continued to reach out to them and esteem them as good. they wanted a hero or at least something that is "popular". Well--the cross is not popular. So like i said it boils down to motive.

2005/2/5 14:12Profile
Spitfire

I have a problem with some CCM. But, I guess the thing that I think is this: Why would we throw out CCM just because some of the people in it are worldly. Isn't that true of the entire Christian world? It isn't the beat that's evil. It's hearts. That's like people who say we should outlaw guns. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Flies don't cause garbage, garbage causes flies. I don't think we should ever throw out CCM because there are some folks in there who wouldn't know Jesus from the man in the moon. There's some great CCM that is powerful and has left a lasting impact on my heart. Love, Dian.

2005/2/6 7:16Profile
alanrepent

Re:

i used to be involved in ccm. had a little "christian" band. that was before i was born again. i thought i was christian for four years, but did stuff like this. as a whole, it is not of God, brethren. it is about the people on stage. here is a picture of my old man i just dug up today. judge for yourselves.

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/rock.jpg[/img]

Quote:

Why would we throw out CCM just because some of the people in it are worldly. Isn't that true of the entire Christian world?

yes. it is true of the entire christian world. and we should as paul says in 1 Cor. 5 remove the wicked man from among ourselves. Jesus tells us to beware of the leaven of the pharisees which is hypocrisy because a little bit of leaven will leaven the whole lump. the modern church ignores this command. we need to stand against idolatry. it is sin. the christians caught up in ccm need to "come out of her, my people." we as christians should not stand for the industry as a whole. "These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit." Jude 19

2005/2/6 14:11Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy