SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : We are commanded to judge!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
You're not going to nit-pick, are you?

Well, Philologos is not here to ask, so I thought I would for him. I was initiated into this forum on that topic. I learned to wear my helmet after that. :-)

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/4 11:12Profile
moreofHim

Re: forbearance

Robert,
ha ha! that did so remind me of Ron! :-)

I just wanted to add this about forbearance:

In the year I have been on SI, I have seen quite a few disagreements about "doctrine" and such. I have rarely been in those arguments because I really have no qualification to do so. But- I have learned that for the most part, people are not swayed by arguments. They are swayed by the truth stated with love and conviction and then lived out in love.( and probably much secret prayer :) I have seen people on here change their beliefs after awhile because of the real love and Christlikeness displayed through someone. Never throguh arguments, debates or "I am right" attitudes. The Lord showed me once that I was to learn "FOREBEARANCE" before he would ever let me do any tyoe of public ministry. I have been learning this for the past couple of years and still working on it.

I have saved this little paragraph about forbearance that cam to me via email from Living Stream Ministry the next day after I knew i was to learn about it.

Phil. 4:5 Let your forbearance be known to all men. The Lord
is near. In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by
prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be
made known to God.
~~~~

The first aspect of the expression of a life that lives
Christ is forbearance. Philippians 4:5 says, "Let your
forbearance be known to all men." Later we shall see that a
second aspect is the absence of anxiety. In a life that lives
Christ there will be forbearance, but no anxiety, no worry.
Paul considers forbearance and the lack of anxiety as the
first two aspects of the expression of a life that lives
Christ.

A life that lives Christ is calm, tranquil, peaceful, and
quiet. A life of turmoil, on the contrary, is a life that
lives Satan. Forbearance is the most important element of a
tranquil life. Forbearance is reasonableness and
consideration in dealing with others. To have forbearance is
to deal with others without strictness of legal right. If we
would live a calm life, we must have forbearance.

Forbearance includes patience and moderation, but goes beyond
them. If you have forbearance, you will not argue with
others, fight with them, or debate with them. You may have a
great deal to say, but you will have patience and moderation
in dealing with others and will not say anything in response
to provocation or irritation. Forbearance is versus rivalry
and vainglory, two negative things mentioned by Paul.
Forbearance is also opposed to murmurings and reasonings.
Whenever we have rivalry, vainglory, murmurings, and
reasonings, there is no calm, no tranquility, no forbearance.

2005/2/4 11:17Profile

Re:

Quote:
I just wanted to add this about forbearance:

Absolutely... this is great. I agree with your post.

Krispy

2005/2/4 11:29
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

Krispy wrote:
Absolutely... this is great. I agree with your post.

Me too... but heck it can be fun sometimes !:knockedout:

2005/2/4 11:33Profile

Re:

Taken from FoxNews.com

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, a career infantry officer who is now in charge of developing better ways to train and equip Marines, made the comments Tuesday while speaking to a forum in San Diego.

According to an audio recording, he said, "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a #&$% of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up front with you, I like brawling."

He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a $&%# of a lot of fun to shoot them."

++++++++++++++++++++++

...and people on here think I am offensive? LOL!! (Actually, I was a Marine and was in Saudi and Iraq in the first go around 10 years ago... and I would love to have served under this man!)

Krispy

2005/2/4 13:02
moreofHim

Re: shooting

Quote:
You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a $&%# of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Quote:
and I would love to have served under this man!)

I hope you are joking. You are just kidding, right?

2005/2/4 13:13Profile

Re:

Quote:
I hope you are joking. You are just kidding, right?

No. Ever been in a war?

(lets not shoot off the topic... I just added that post to lighten the mood, and show that there are plenty of others more capable than I at offending people)

Krispy

2005/2/4 13:22
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
(lets not shoot off the topic... I just added that post to lighten the mood, and show that there are plenty of others more capable than I at offending people)

I have not served in the military, and I have only the greatest respect for those who have, and are. This Marine General though it seems has lost some sense of focus.

From Interviews I have seen with servicemen and woman, killing and wounding are always a last resort and done so reluctantly knowing what lasting affects it will have on their own emotional well-being in the years to follow.

This post gives an alarming and revealing insight into just how "trigger happy" too many Christians are to mow down anyone they discern to be compromising, or sinful.

I cannot see how it has "lightened" the mood, but I hope it will serve as a wake-up call to all who may have grown weary in our attempt to bring a Biblically balanced approach to judgement, repentance, and grace.

May we again recognize the truth that Christ came to serve, and let our voice be one as we say together "How may I serve, how may I help."

In Christ,
tony

2005/2/4 14:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
This post gives an alarming and revealing insight into just how "trigger happy" too many Christians are to mow down anyone they discern to be compromising, or sinful.

Ahhh... thank you. I was wondering if anyone was gonna take the bait!! And you did...

First off, let me explain that the military is not the place for political correctness or sensitivity training. When I said I would have loved to serve under this man... I meant that this is a General who knows how to get the job done, and is obviously not concerned with being politically correct. (I suggest you look into this man's service record... he needs to learn to not express himself so brashly, but his record is impeccable.)

Now... the bait you took... What exactly about that post shows how trigger happy some Christians are to "mow down anyone they discern to be compromising, or sinful." Are you not making a judgement about me? Isnt your rebuke of my post a little hypocritical?

See, we all make judgements about things. We can not help it. The key is to make sure we do it in a loving way. Just about everyone who has responded to my thread on judging has never really addressed the issues I have raised... everyone has only written about how we should be gentle and loving and caring. Those are good things, but we're so concerned about not offending anyone that we compromise our God given commands to stand and earnestly contend for the faith.

Am I saying we should publicly whip someone who has any sin in their life? Of course not!

But when someone assumes the role of a leader, or presumes to teach, then they are held to a higher standard. And if they are not qualified Biblically to be a leader, or they are teaching heretical doctrines... who will point this out? Paul told Timothy to "mark and avoid" false teachers. No one wants to do that anymore because no one wants to be labeled as "unloving".

Suppose you were Peter... and Jesus said to you "Get thee behind me Satan" ... I suppose He would be unloving?

Iron sharpens iron... but most Christians sword fight using peacock feathers.

God is love... but we often forget that the Bible is a very negative book. Jesus was not a flower child we make Him out to be. Some of y'all would do well to listen to the Ray Comfort mp3's on this site.

Krispy

2005/2/4 14:17
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Hi Krispy,

Quote:
Suppose you were Peter... and Jesus said to you "Get thee behind me Satan" ... I suppose He would be unloving?

Preaching repentance is a loving thing to do, but it is surely not an enjoyable thing. A preacher stepped off the platform once and said, "I really ripped 'em from Dan to Burrr-sheebah (Beersheba) tonight!" He may have had a good message, but he was of the wrong Spirit.

Personally I think a topic we really miss is one of discussing preaching exactly what the Holy Ghost is saying to the Churches. We need a "He that hath an ear let them hear..." message that speaks to the issues to wonderful for us. We look on the outward, but God knows what the remedy is. He has a balm or an eye salve to administer. This requires prayer. This requires fasting and sorely seeking the face of God. It takes ultra clean hands and a contrite heart.

Sometimes ministers get criticised and they were preaching exactly what the Lord was saying to that people. Not necessarily a 'fired up' message; but what the Holy Ghost was saying.

What the Church needs more than anything right now is direction from God. We see the problems- they are glaring. We need someone to step with a fresh word of direction to get out of this mess. We can judge the folks- but what is God saying to them? The prophets always had a word of direction for the people. We need a word like that.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/4 14:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy